• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

We are ready to launch an upgraded version of A07 Pro. Can you tell us what functions do you hope to add to A07?

nawfal07

• No BT, no internal Dac: just an amp.
  • No remote control (same)
  • External power supply to keep the price down
  • Minimalistic casing (can be plexiglass made) to keep the price down
  • Better internal components ( opamps on sockets, caps)
  • Banana plugs
  • LFE outpout (rca)
  • Clear documentation with specs and measurements
  • 12V trigger
  • Nice to have: balanced inputs

You mean you can’t use banana plugs with the A07?

nawfal07

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You mean you can’t use banana plugs with the A07?

You can use single banana plugs, just not double plugs with the typical spacing, which is too wide for the A07's binding posts -- virtually all Chinese-made "chip amp" products have the same issue.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A07 Pro: Balanced Input; 3 digit SINAD. That's it. You can delete the volume control too. We will simply front it with a high quality DAC that already has volume control.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Some months ago I bought a couple of A08, one was promptly stolen by my wife to sonorize her fitness room, so I currently use the other in my office desktop system.

It's a tough brick and, I have to say, sounds quite good for a product of this price ranking.
Internal PS also works fine and gives it plenty of power, my only real gripe is about the volume pot that is just horrible, and will be replaced soon.

The inner DAC, even if able to manage Tidal HiFi contents with its basic 24bit-192KHz chip, seems to be something put in without enthusiasm.
Oddly, the inner BT chip works fine in aptX-HD, my wife happily tested it up to 24Bit-48KHz flawlessly.

For sure the A08 is waaay different from what ASR members asked for, but it seems that the "different idea" behind this amplifier was developed quite well.
Is the sound from the Dac inside a08 somewhat less good sounding ? Have you compared with other choices ?

The internal supply in Aiyima a08 is measured in the Swedish forum being 36V 9.6 A , a very good suggestion using tpa3255 if you want to drive 4 ohms loudspeakers with this chip. Swapping the NE5532s for LM4562 is probably a wise choice soundwise , as a mod, the cost is only about 10 dollars for 3 IC:s. Audiophonics in europe is a good seller , I bought my lm4562 for Aiyima a04 from that store. And yes - the sound and measurements gets slightly better with lm4562.

0530EDA3-D758-461C-99C3-9BD180328F99.jpeg

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
A07 Pro: Balanced Input; 3 digit SINAD. That's it. You can delete the volume control too. We will simply front it with a high quality DAC that already has volume control.
Sounds like you want a poweramp ?:)
the tpa3255 chip is made for balanced signals , thats true.
Aiyima already has good 4 channel power amp modules for 80 dollars you can buy, without metalcase and powersupply.

Saponetto

Got some items from Aiyima and, as it happened per others, the 08's inner dac isn't bad at all for daily use.

Its audio quality is decent, of course a simple Topping E30 easily outperforms it in terms of smoothness and listening pleasure but, as previously wrote, it works fine with all Tidal HiFi contents and easily manages good FLAC contents.
Its limit is 24Bit-192kBps, but imho it is something not actually useful, as per its BT-HD part.

A simple plain, black power-box with one input, no matters if balanced or single-ended, a minimalistic gain selector on the back without any volume knob, all paired with its good internal PSU and voila, the autumn-winter collection winner is here! ;)

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
So is it generally agreed now that the LM 4562 OpAmp's are the best swap-in to replace the stock ones? I have an a04 and a07, cost to upgrade these would be pretty minimal (Audiophonics has in stock, would be 20 Euros shipped).

Saponetto

Sorry of being the one who rudely asks for this, but... what is the advantage on swapping OpAmps?

I mean, I can understand the finality if it's made together with relevant circuital variations aimed, e.g. at optimize gain, levels, polarization and so on, but I cannot figure what is the measurable enhancement obtained at simply doing opamps swapping.

Just curious, if not pertinent feel free of delete.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Sorry of being the one who rudely asks for this, but... what is the advantage on swapping OpAmps?

I mean, I can understand the finality if it's made together with relevant circuital variations aimed, e.g. at optimize gain, levels, polarization and so on, but I cannot figure what is the measurable enhancement obtained at simply doing opamps swapping.

Just curious, if not pertinent feel free of delete.
For the A07 the measured differences aren't large between 5532, lm4562 and opa2134. People keep claiming audible differences, but apparently without controlled testing.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-lm4562-and-opa2134-option.19155/post-628606

Saponetto

People keep claiming audible differences, but apparently without controlled testing

Exactly.
I have difficult to accept that within a frequency range so low that it just reaches a little above twenty KHz, the replacement of an opamp, even contextually adapting the companion circuitry, could alter the signal to produce any audible difference.

Last but not least, I honestly don't think that any TPA3255 amplifier, even if well enginereed and built, could give any chance to the listener to be able to detect sonic alterations of that magnitude.

ClassicGuy

vdevgon

1. Better Power Switch - this one is too flimsy.
2. Better components - especially in the line of signal.
3. Good matching Power supply - but not inbuilt.

Its damn good.
Keep it simple.
And bring it out fast :)

Saponetto

Heh... it seems to be far beyond any technical implementation! :)

Maybe because these amps are usually unscrewed within 5 minutes after the unboxing, in order to check which capacitors were mounted inside...

Minimonsta

Since A07 is pretty good for studio monitoring (I know few pro's with modded A07 in their setup), it will be nice to add a 'Pro' or 'Studio' version.

Possible improvements:
- Balanced inputs (TRS Jack/XLR)
- Optical input
- Dual-mono scheme with dual built-in PSU
- Vents for better cooling
- Relay-based volume control with encoder/ stepped precision potentiometer
- Embedded headphone amp

It might have bigger 1U rack case. 2x-3x price of original for this version should be ok.

Top Bottom