• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wavelet Android EQ

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Now when it's in good enough shape I wanted to share it.
App:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pittvandewitt.wavelet
Auto EQ adopts sound for earphones/headphones to Harman scale for some 2300 models so far and you can find presets and documentation for every one in git:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results
Enable legacy mode & reduce clipping (three dots in upper right corner) to enable system wide (better) compatibility.
Screenshot_20200521-120534.png
Works with default Android USB Audio 2.0 driver & BT.
All do there is still (a lot) room for improvement now it's perfectly usable.

Development thread at XDA:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-wavelet-headphone-specific-t4097957/amp/
App is free with in app purchases option which will unlock additional effects without which you can live but consider it anyhow in order to support developer/app development.
Disclaimer: I am not associated in any way with app or its development, just bringing news around here.

Best regards and enjoy!

Last edited:

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very impressive and easy to use. Trying it now with my bass boosted "outdoor" Sony that is my favorite one when biking hard, but isn't great for quieter indoor listening. I like what l hear

Jason

Grabbed this app a few days ago and love it. Brilliant to have good quality controls for all the audio sources I use on my phone. Any chance you will add a cross-feed option in the future? That would be complete the features for me.

OP
ZolaIII

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Grabbed this app a few days ago and love it. Brilliant to have good quality controls for all the audio sources I use on my phone. Any chance you will add a cross-feed option in the future? That would be complete the features for me.
That's something to ask the actual developer over at XDA. ;)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Annoyingly it does not work with tidal or BBC music on my phone. Interestingly it does have a profile for my IEMs, but they seemed way to bright with it on.

OP
ZolaIII

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Annoyingly it does not work with tidal or BBC music on my phone. Interestingly it does have a profile for my IEMs, but they seemed way to bright with it on.
Then those aren't your EMI's. Had similar experience with MEE M6 Pro, EQ is for second gen and I have first. Hope you did enable legacy mode.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then those aren't your EMI's. Had similar experience with MEE M6 Pro, EQ is for second gen and I have first. Hope you did enable legacy mode.
I did try legacy mode, it didn't work.

There is only one version of my IEMs, so I think the measurements are off. The neutraliser app produces a very different looking curve than was used, it's doing a different thing though, but it's result seems natural to me.

Mile

I have tried Wavelet. Thanks for the hint. But I can't set the automatic presets correctly. Sometimes my headphone appears and I can choose my model and sometimes I can only adjust the normal equalizer. Do the presets only work in the purchase version?

OP
ZolaIII

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I have tried Wavelet. Thanks for the hint. But I can't set the automatic presets correctly. Sometimes my headphone appears and I can choose my model and sometimes I can only adjust the normal equalizer. Do the presets only work in the purchase version?
Presets work in any version, even search ain't half that bad.
If you didn't enable legacy mode!

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This thread needs to be a sticky.

This app is the answer to improving SQ by vastly more than any device on this site for headphones and it's about 4 clicks work+free ppl.

When I last looked, this tech was not possible for mobiles.

Currently using it....was using complex JRiver solution on PC for listening.....yup, not doing than any more!

I was also about to buy a EQ capable external mobile DAC...nope, not any more.

Mind blown. :oops::D

altamira.

Would it be possible to measure how well the Wavelet app equalizes towards the Harman curve? (@amirm )
I am trying it with two headpones:
- Sennheiser HD650 (a matching preset exists): Sounds clearer/more airy with EQ/less mushy
- Grade SR125 (only a preset for SR125i is available): here I find the difference between non-EQd and EQd much smaller and sometimes prefer without and with

OP
ZolaIII

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Would it be possible to measure how well the Wavelet app equalizes towards the Harman curve? (@amirm )
I am trying it with two headpones:
- Sennheiser HD650 (a matching preset exists): Sounds clearer/more airy with EQ/less mushy
- Grade SR125 (only a preset for SR125i is available): here I find the difference between non-EQd and EQd much smaller and sometimes prefer without and with
It depends how accurate measurements ware in the first place, with (almost) every update Wavelet sinces with most popular repositories of hedaphone measurements. In fact it does the same (actually better as is more frequently maintained) as EQ APU. Not all hedaphones will react equally good to EQ tries (depending how far they were from implied EQ target, how stiff [close to braking - distorting] drives are without EQ-ing and cetera). You can always adjust more with additional EQ in Wavelet towards your hearing/liking. Harman curve (or any other) is not something set in stone.

luft262

Does anyone know why Wavelet sometimes works and sometimes doesn't? It always works with YouTube Music, but only occasionally can I get it to work with Qobuz? Thanks!

OP
ZolaIII

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Does anyone know why Wavelet sometimes works and sometimes doesn't? It always works with YouTube Music, but only occasionally can I get it to work with Qobuz? Thanks!
Different audio rendering paths. Use legacy mode as explained (it trys to redirect them). Don't expect it to work at all with deticated third part USB audio driver's.

luft262

I've tried legacy and non-legacy mode, but it still only works off and on with Qobuz... Thanks.

frix

I really like this app. Though not all the autoEQ profiles are a good match for all my IEMs and headphones. Some sound better than others. But I guess that's what it is when something is automated.

luft262

I noticed that it actually starts working with some songs in Qobuz and stops working for other songs? In YouTube Music is works with every song. I'm not sure what's going on (software-wise), to cause it to work with certain songs, but not with others. I noticed this with Amazon HD Music, while I was trialing it, and again with Qobuz.

luft262

OK. I got an email back from the developer and I think we figured out what's happening. Wavelet/Android only supports certain sample rates. When I was testing the app using YouTube Music and Tidal I wasn't receiving any Hi-Res or even Lossless music. It was all MP3/AAC 320kbs or less, probably 44.1kHz and 16bit. Amazon HD and Qobuz send lossless and Hi-Res music and sometimes the app doesn't work depending on the track. I haven't done enough testing to see which sample rates are not compatible, but some lossless and Hi-Res sample rates are working and others are not.

At least now I know. Before I wasn't able to find a pattern and it was bugging the crap out of me that it was working intermittently and I didn't know why!

martijn86

I'm going to keep an eye on this app, I purchased the effects to support the creator. However, at the moment it does some really strange things. The correction of the Drop Panda sounds very unsatisfying. As if the correction is applied twice? Mid-bass (bass guitar) is reduced to virtually nothing, vocals have no body and only a bright presence. Overall a bright sound with some sub-bass. I find myself compensating for the lack of body with volume but it never satisfies before I go deaf. What's going on?

Furthermore it seems to make volume adjustments based on loudness with only AutoEQ enabled. As if a compressor is being used to prevent clipping.

So maybe the Panda preset is way off, I don't like the target curve or something goes wrong with the software.

Note: I later discovered that I messed up myself:
Holy shit!!! I owe both the creators of Wavelet and SoundID an apology for my rant…

Last edited:
Top Bottom