• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In all honesty though, Casio did a very good job replicating an amalgam of the Royal Oak and Royal Oak Offshore without throwing their G-Shock design DNA away so they have my utmost respect in that regard. It's practically a dead-ringer for the case RO bezel and case especially with the mirror finished chamfering of the lugs. The bezel's mirror finished parts lack that diagonally angled curve to really get the RO bezel (it is not an ROO bezel homage) absolutely right. Also, I love those hours markers. I'd love to try on some Casioaks (Dark Knight pls) myself when I my local dealers start opening again (cause lockdowns).

You gave me a reason to post this picture. I'm just really proud of how this picture came out even though the toilet paper in the background kinda ruins how dramatic it is. This is the 15706Au ROO Forged Carbon Diver. Can never capture the marbling of the forged carbon so this will have to do. Had to use a headphone as a stand cause the damn thing wouldn't stay flat.

View attachment 149441
The hands on the Casioak lose the fundamental elegance of the design, but for me, even the Offshore does that (though not because of the hands, which I really like). I don't mind big, showy watches at all--and I have a few (though not an AP). But the original RO--with bracelet--veritably defines the elegant sport watch category, and established its upper limit. I'm a fan of that category in general, even though it's not that popular in these days of minimalist designs.

Rick "thinking elegance and showiness are often competing attributes, however" Denney

Genkishi569

The hands on the Casioak lose the fundamental elegance of the design, but for me, even the Offshore does that (though not because of the hands, which I really like). I don't mind big, showy watches at all--and I have a few (though not an AP). But the original RO--with bracelet--veritably defines the elegant sport watch category, and established its upper limit. I'm a fan of that category in general, even though it's not that popular in these days of minimalist designs.

Rick "thinking elegance and showiness are often competing attributes, however" Denney

I originally had a comment about Casio's design deliberately doing away with the elegance aspect of the Royal Oak to maintain that rugged vibe they're known for, but I had edited it out just cause it felt out of place. Not at all surprised that you would comment something along that vein. I would not want Casio to veer in that direction...at least not for G-Shock. It's just too far off course for that line-up. Perhaps the Oceanus line would be a better fit for a more elegant homage.

And, yes, I agree that the proportions of the RO are much, much, much more elegant. Though even within Royal Oak line-up, there are feverish [online] arguments as to which model still embodies that sporty elegance. Some say only the original makes the cut...others say the 15202. . .15300,15400, etc etc you get the gist.

Personally, I put my foot down on the new 15500. It's like the bastard child of a Royal Oak Offshore and the Royal Oak 15400. It's become too diver-esque, and has lost most of the Royal Oak magic.

The ROO models are definitely showy by nature, and they feel more like a modern homage to Gerald Genta's design (He has an eponymous brand, btw). Brash, loud, colourful, and made to be super extra "collectible" with all those rehashed colourways. Almost like sneakers for the wealthy.

As for design trending towards minimalism, I have to agree if we're talking about the general direction just because big tech has driven us towards that direction. If we're talking about luxury watches though...I keep seeing things get louder and louder what with micro-studios releasing re-tooled Rolex Air King Tourbillons; a Rolex Pepsi Meteorite dial overlaid with amateur-ish street art [from some famous graffiti artist]...cannabis engraving all over the hulk submariner; and...Richard Mille. This is just anecdotal so it might just be a feature of the circles I'm in.

Last edited:

UniPolar

Reminds me while walking down Canal St. In NYC, you would frequently hear folks whispering 'Watches, Watches , Rolex, Movato' while they carefully looked over the neighborhood for any police activity...

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I originally had a comment about Casio's design deliberately doing away with the elegance aspect of the Royal Oak to maintain that rugged vibe they're known for, but I had edited it out just cause it felt out of place. Not at all surprised that you would comment something along that vein. I would not want Casio to veer in that direction...at least not for G-Shock. It's just too far off course for that line-up. Perhaps the Oceanus line would be a better fit for a more elegant homage.

And, yes, I agree that the proportions of the RO are much, much, much more elegant. Though even within Royal Oak line-up, there are feverish [online] arguments as to which model still embodies that sporty elegance. Some say only the original makes the cut...others say the 15202. . .15300,15400, etc etc you get the gist.

Personally, I put my foot down on the new 15500. It's like the bastard child of a Royal Oak Offshore and the Royal Oak 15400. It's become too diver-esque, and has lost most of the Royal Oak magic.

The ROO models are definitely showy by nature, and they feel more like a modern homage to Gerald Genta's design (He has an eponymous brand, btw). Brash, loud, colourful, and made to be super extra "collectible" with all those rehashed colourways. Almost like sneakers for the wealthy.

As for design trending towards minimalism, I have to agree if we're talking about the general direction just because big tech has driven us towards that direction. If we're talking about luxury watches though...I keep seeing things get louder and louder what with micro-studios releasing re-tooled Rolex Air King Tourbillons; a Rolex Pepsi Meteorite dial overlaid with amateur-ish street art [from some famous graffiti artist]...cannabis engraving all over the hulk submariner; and...Richard Mille. This is just anecdotal so it might just be a feature of the circles I'm in.
Well, Richard Mille is sort-of in a class by himself. I visited their Boston boutique a couple of years ago, and was surprised they actually let me handle a watch. Maybe that was the company I was with--an audio company boss and a former general counsel for a major corporation you have heard of.

The elegant sport-watch category is still alive, but not at the center of focus of the watch biz. But these are pricey--the AP RO, the Girard-Perregaux Laureato, the Vacheron-Constantin Overseas (my personal favorite of this style), even the Hublot Fusion (not the Big Bang). The Zenith Defy 21 fits in that category. One of the chief exemplars of this style back when it was dominant was the Ebel Sport Classic, the chronograph version of which was presented earlier in this thread by both myself and Frank Dernie (whose example is much cooler than mine because of how he got it). Countering the elegance of these examples was the Rolex Datejust, which never claimed "elegance"--and the "diver-esque" tendency is a good observation.

Some companies still focus on elegant sport watches, at not such elevated price points. Movado (via their premium Concord and Ebel brands) offers the Concord Mariner and Ebel Sport Classic, of which I am today wearing a newish all-titanium limited edition with an incredibly light bead-blasted wave bracelet. Stylish, without being minimalist or "fancy". Both of those companies also produced big, showy watches in the ROO tradition (which actually came after the Hublot Big Bang, which as much as any started that trendlet), and I have several Concord C1's and an Ebel Tekton. Everyone needs a few 48mm watches.

But most people equate sport watches with tool watches. I like me some divers, to be sure, but a diver is a tool watch more than a sport watch.

Rick "'sport' in the sense of...spectating" Denney

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reminds me while walking down Canal St. In NYC, you would frequently hear folks whispering 'Watches, Watches , Rolex, Movato' while they carefully looked over the neighborhood for any police activity...
The Casioak is probably more popular with the Canal St. fake-watch sellers than the Audemars-Piguet.

And the notion of faking a Movado is just funny to me, but I know it happens.

Rick "would rather have an honest cheap watch than a pretend expensive watch any day" Denney

Genkishi569

Well, Richard Mille is sort-of in a class by himself. I visited their Boston boutique a couple of years ago, and was surprised they actually let me handle a watch. Maybe that was the company I was with--an audio company boss and a former general counsel for a major corporation you have heard of.

I do agree that Mille has always been his own thing. Guy's whole brand marches to the beat of its own drum. To be fair to Mille though, I do own a few of his watches. They always feel great on the wrist because they're all extremely light. I just wouldn't recommend them to most people on account of price and the aesthetic. Most won't admit why they buy these (but I will). A Mille is bought first for prestige and the extreme recognisability. Kudos to Mille for focusing all his efforts into making excellent headway to mainstream pop culture though.

Also, I don't think Mille would sell half his watches if his boutiques weren't the opposite of the old guard. It's mostly because you have to "feel the Mille," and that's when the watches tend to really blow someone away. Of course, the type of people likely to be "blown away" are the type who consider a 6-7 figure impulse buy a non-problem (I should hope so).

The elegant sport-watch category is still alive, but not at the center of focus of the watch biz. But these are pricey--the AP RO, the Girard-Perregaux Laureato, the Vacheron-Constantin Overseas (my personal favorite of this style), even the Hublot Fusion (not the Big Bang). The Zenith Defy 21 fits in that category. One of the chief exemplars of this style back when it was dominant was the Ebel Sport Classic, the chronograph version of which was presented earlier in this thread by both myself and Frank Dernie (whose example is much cooler than mine because of how he got it). Countering the elegance of these examples was the Rolex Datejust, which never claimed "elegance"--and the "diver-esque" tendency is a good observation.

Some companies still focus on elegant sport watches, at not such elevated price points. Movado (via their premium Concord and Ebel brands) offers the Concord Mariner and Ebel Sport Classic, of which I am today wearing a newish all-titanium limited edition with an incredibly light bead-blasted wave bracelet. Stylish, without being minimalist or "fancy". Both of those companies also produced big, showy watches in the ROO tradition (which actually came after the Hublot Big Bang, which as much as any started that trendlet), and I have several Concord C1's and an Ebel Tekton. Everyone needs a few 48mm watches.

But most people equate sport watches with tool watches. I like me some divers, to be sure, but a diver is a tool watch more than a sport watch.

Rick "'sport' in the sense of...spectating" Denney

I'm honestly surprised to see someone say the category is just "alive." The way I've experienced it, and interpret what you're saying is that the normally out-of-reach designs have started trickling down into the more affordable segments after god knows how many decades of remaining an impossibility for so many watch lovers. It's never been bigger, imo. If I look at it another way though, I can see where you might be coming from...that same trickle-down could dilute the mystique behind this exclusive category; thereby, making it less relevant over the long run.

I must contend the point about the conflation of the tool watch and the sports watch. I think that confusion stems more from the fact that these sports watches share a few traits with the king of highly desirable tool watches...Rolex. Those traits would be [lack of] accessibility, mystique, marketing, and show-offability. Most sports watches tend to be associated with water-based activities (though leisure yachting is usually the implied activity) not unlike the Submariner so there might also be some confusion there. I personally just think it has more to do with the fact that they all happen to be exclusive watches that are not readily available for purchase.

Vacheron-Constantin Overseas (my personal favorite of this style)

I LOVE the Overseas even though I'm pretty torn between which iteration I like more. The 2nd phase ones with the guilloche/engine-turned triangles in the dial have a lot of personality. Whereas, the 3rd phase ones with the reflective enamel dials simply exude elegance. My overseas is in another property, and since I've only just started taking pictures of my collection this month I have no photos to post until I allow myself to start business travelling again.

Sadly, I only have the Patek Philippe Nautilus on-hand at the moment. Some might say it's the most overrated of the bunch, and I'm inclined to agree. It is, however, one of my favourites. Upon closer examination, extremely subtle mirror-finished anglage/chamfering is present in nearly every part of the case and bracelet. It is not merely a technical exercise to show you what Patek is capable of. The overall effect makes the Nautilus shinier than it has any right to be even though it mostly features a brushed finish. However, most people who see it at a distance won't understand what makes it so strangely "radiant." I've seen homages that lack those "curves" it is absolutely not the same overall effect. The same can be said for the aquanaut's dial. Those milled lines on the dial have tiny-tiny chamfers that create a surprisingly outsized 3d effect. Without it, as with blatant homages, the dial looks flat and lifeless.

I've definitely gone and talked up a storm so I should probably stop here.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I started out with Accutron "Tuning Fork" watches before quartz came onto the scene.
This Bell&Ross BR03-92 just refuses to die as a daily companion.
I wish my Panerai Marina had lasted half that long...
202108_BellRossWatchBR03-92.jpg

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1630404413018.png

Pretty settled on Damasko DK32 Ocean as my next watch. They are like the Neumann/Genelecs of mechanical watches. Sensible engineering, great construction, in-house not for in-house's sake, but only when they feel they can do better. The dial looks a LOT better in real life.

Their new in-house movement takes an ETA 2824 but redesigns the known weaker points of the movement: an automatic winding system along the lines of the IWC Pellaton pawl-winding system, and also uses ceramic bearings; as well as a full balance bridge instead of a balance cock. It reminds me of Neumann/Genelec speccing drivers from Peerless with their own tweaks, which still hold themselves up against more exotic drivers. Also a really cool bracelet design held together by titanium Torx screws instead of spring bars/pins.

A company like Panerai would charge so much more for so much lesser.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have very little use for wrist watches with digital displays.
For some of us, the wearing of a watch on the wrist is similar to that Peanuts character Linus (VanPelt) and his security blanket that he always carried with him.
Like, do I really need to know that the time is exactly 10:09.59? Heck, NO!
Like, you just flipped your wrist and took a peek at the analog hands: And just few seconds later, someone asked what time it was and you had to look at your watch (with you having just peeked at it, a few seconds ago) all over again.
You see what you just did????
Your first peek, before being asked the time, was NEVER to see exactly what time it was but just bit of a brain-assurance that time still existed.
Tick, Tock!

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
9EE5BDF9-DDCE-436C-8F14-C7965A1C4FCF.jpeg

Just got this back from servicing. Cleaning, gasket, battery and new crystal. Bought this around 1998 or so and stopped wearing it when I bought a Breitling in 2001 for my 50th B-day. One son wore it for a while but didn't really take to watches. Will rotate this with the Breitling and my grandfather's 1950's Hamilton when I get that back from an adjustment after it was restored. Just need to buy a watch-winder for the Breitling.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
TAG
58576800-E252-4884-A1EB-E6C7AB42C64B.jpeg

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Jacque Lemans F1 Collection chronograph dating back to 2009 which was a college graduation gift. Still rocking it.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_0255.jpeg

Old image of it with old worn out bands. I have couple other pieces of Timex that I wear.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Accutron was a 'tuning fork' watch, before quartz came onto the scene.
201603_4AccutronWatches.jpg

Their beat frequency was 3600Hz (which was divided by 60 and then again by 60) to resolve a second.
They were Swiss Railroad approved back in the '60s and there was this expensive jig to tune that tiny tuning fork with coils at the tips.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Accutron was a 'tuning fork' watch, before quartz came onto the scene.
View attachment 157066
Their beat frequency was 3600Hz (which was divided by 60 and then again by 60) to resolve a second.
They were Swiss Railroad approved back in the '60s and there was this expensive jig to tune that tiny tuning fork with coils at the tips.
One too many divisions. The Accutron tuning fork vibrated at 360 Hz, except for the SSIH versions licensed from Bulova, that vibrated at 300 Hz. They used gears with nearly microscopic teeth and followers to advance the going train.

Rick “a bit fragile, plus the date mechanism was delicate” Denney

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
21083003_1688059667870869_6361831809456726870_o.jpg

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Seiko that was very closely inspired by this. Sport 100 or something? I'll have to look next time. Nice to see the original Tag which I'm not sure that I've seen before.
I bought it 1992. Still running and looking good.

Top Bottom