• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect Gen Z will never be a big buyer of luxury watches like previous generations. They're too used to having a phone in their pocket to check the time.
I made one significant goof: It's the "Personal luxury goods" market which is now being driven by Gen Z, so much broader in scope than wristwatches.
https://www.bain.com/about/media-center/press-releases/2021/luxury-report-2021/
Given that 2025 is already looming on the horizon, I'd expect that this isn't a prediction of a seismic shift, so much as extrapolation of existing trends.
So sure. It could become stylish to wear a nice watch at some point for that generation. But the main hook into wearing watches, the need to have one to check the time, is not something they've grown up with.
Since when did mere timekeeping have anything to do with it? :p

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the 861-powered Speedies actually predate the Moon landing by a year
Indeed but hadn’t they bought their stock several years earlier? 1964 I had read.
My “racing” version didn’t sell well and though it was made around 1967 my Dad bought it in 1971, probably at a discount.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rick “yes, this is real, much to my surprise” Denney
WhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaT?
I could imagine you on a work-bench with a loupe on one eye but would not have guessed you to be a horologist!:p
Were you not gifted enough name-brand chronometers during your day-time job and yearly?

Kijanki

I lost interest in wristwatches long time ago. These days my life is greatly simplified - hungry means dinner time, sleepy means night time, erection means morning - no need to know exact time.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thoughts on the biggest watch release of the year and arguably in recent memory? (Objective fact given the consumer interest being through the roof)

08-omega-x-swatch-moonswatch-1024x1024-1.jpeg

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2022%2F03%2Fswatch-omega-speedmaster-moonswatch-collection-round-table-doug-kaplan-bobs-watches-robert-jan-broer-fratello-watches-01.jpg
They hyped this intro-event in the paper-media for a week before March 26th.
Meh! I think they were trying say "Hey look, you get 4 dials for the price of one s-watch".
imo >> bfd!

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I'm still happy with my Series 4 Apple Watch. Free upgrade from Series3 after I had 2 die in the first year. :) Works great for Swim Tracking!

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I drowned my Seiko 200m dive proof watch, I wear no watch.
Ya know what, I feel swell.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My Dad bought me one for my 21st birthday in 1971, though it is the “racing” model with red hands. It was my every day watch for many years though I had to replace the original bracelet which was of poor quality and wore out (but rare and valuable today :facepalm:)
I have had it serviced once and it still works fine.
It is pre-moon watch badges and it turns out to be too rare and valuable to wear any more.
That Racing is worth a fortune today if still original :cool:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
WhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaT?
I could imagine you on a work-bench with a loupe on one eye but would not have guessed you to be a horologist!:p
Were you not gifted enough name-brand chronometers during your day-time job and yearly?
So, I was serving time last week in Springfield, IL and I was staying a hotel on the west side of town. I rounded a corner looking for a place to eat and saw Denney Jewelers. Seriously? There just aren't that many of us with that spelling. They were closed by that time but I stopped in the next day and introduced myself. We chatted about family trees and histories for a while, and I said that I felt like I needed to buy something to support the extended family. That's when she showed me the house-branded line of watches. They were actually made by Belair, which is an American company that specializes in house brands for independent jewelry stores. The movement is a 10-year lithium-powered quartz Ronda (a price-point movement but still the better Swiss-made version) and the case/bracelet quality is quite good for the price they asked. It's easily well enough made to earn its several-hundred price point. I bought one for myself, and ladies models for my wife and my mother (the last Denneys in this corner of the clan).

I showed it to my local watch-collecting buddies and they thought I had photoshopped it.

Rick "too trembly in the hands to work on watches, sadly, though equipped to do simple repairs" Denney

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Thoughts on the biggest watch release of the year and arguably in recent memory? (Objective fact given the consumer interest being through the roof)
I wanted to get one. Oh well maybe if they're released on the internet in significant numbers. As for the price, is it expensive, too expensive maybe? Yes. 250€ for a plastic watch with a quarz movement is a joke, I can get good mechanical watches with steel bracelets for that money.

But it got the iconic design. I would still want one. It might sound aloof but a 250€ plastic watch is a great thing for these moments where you don't want to worry about it too much. I would wear this riding my mountain bike. A chronograph is just like an app on the phone nowadays, and chronos are great. Useful.

That said, I also own the Casio F-91W that was just posted, I think it costs 10$. I put on a Nato strap and if you want the best sports watch for the money, this is it right there.

I never liked Omega much, especially because they make so many special models of the Speedmaster that it's really hard to track what's going on. Some sell for insane money, and man I would want a Snoopy, but honestly it's hard for the to equate price to the beauty of the watch, because they also make some great models that are not that expensive. Compare that to the Rolex model policy where changes are rare and you can immediately idenfity the model.

So from that perspective, I don't think it tarnishes the Omega/Speedmaster brand because there's so many of them already out there anyway.

If anything it's good advertising and it will get some people to wanna own the real thing someday.

On a sidenote. Watch prices have gone so crazy, I'm out. I'm glad I got my watches when they were not so expensive. I remember when you could get a new Speedmaster new for like 3.3k, now they are more like 6k. Heck I remember submariners for 3k. The prices have more than doubled in the last couple of years. It's ridiculous.

I wonder how long this can continue and I know others who started earlier wondered this before me. In any case, these were always luxury items with a questionable value proposition. But if you say you collect. You have to own a Speedmaster. You have to own a Submariner. It used to be you could buy one of these for 1 or 2 months wages. You just look at this graph.

Rolex-Submariner-114060-14060-No-Date-Price-Change-2.jpeg

Cheapest for a 114060 on Chrono24 is 16k. Annual median earnings was $56,287 in 2020. So now we're down to 3.5 submariners for a years income. That is just insane. If you wonder why a 250€ plastic quarz watch got this much attentation, that is why.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I were in the business of selling wristwatches, these are the sorts of things I might be very keen get ahold of!
https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/products/presage/special/ghibli2021limited/
https://www.seikowatches.com/global-en/products/presage/special/ghibli2020limited/
https://www.gshock.com/watches/limited-edition
https://hypebeast.com/2021/7/seiko-starter-pokemon-watch-collection-release
https://www.swatch.com/en-us/swatch-x-peanuts.html
$50-1500, with more of an emphasis on stuff people love, rather than status signaling (virtue signaling is a 'nother matter). Even with non-themed / collaboration products, seems to me there's much of interest at modest to middling prices: Shinola? Pinion? Etc.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I put Zodiac in that category, too. And they’ve always been there—they were the cheaper alternative to Rolex in Vietnam-era military exchanges, when the prices for the two were $200 and $100.

Movado is also in that category.

Interesting—we just named three American-owned companies—Fossil (Texas, owns Zodiac), MGI (New Jersey, owns Movado) and Bedrock (Detroit, owns Shinola, by the original founder of Fossil).

I looked at a Shinola automatic diver a couple of years ago and thought it pretty nice.

Rick “Timex has been making big moves, too” Denney

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If any of uze guyz have a 42mm Titanium Panerai Luminor Marina; I'd be willing to keep it fully wound on your behalf!
PM me...;)

Grumpish

Right now, an Oris Aquis. I have a talent for destroying watches - this, a TAG Heuer that gave me a good twenty years service before committing suicide by falling off my wrist at the end of a dive in the Red Sea, and a Breitling Avenger that also sees regular use, have been the only watches that I have not managed to kill within a few months.

Attachments

• 21337_01 735 7673 4185-set mb_horizontale.png
    21337_01 735 7673 4185-set mb_horizontale.png
    619.4 KB · Views: 53
Top Bottom