• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This Rebellion T-500 "Ultimate Racing Machine" may have looked wild on my wrist.
View attachment 269687 < > View attachment 269688
Unfortunately, my Inner "grease monkey" nixed the idea when I could not even locate the Zerk fittingS in its mechanismS!:facepalm:
That's a FUGLY time piece!!
It looks cheap!... I believe it would be perceived as cheap, in a "knowledge of price removed" test!:p
Looks like it came from the INVICTA school of Watch design, an example:
s-l1600.jpg

Peace.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Watches are a lot like hi-fi in that regard. A $150k watch does not tell time better than a $150 watch. In fact it is less accurate, less reliable, and requires more servicing and more adjusting. Even the comments here are similar to what we see elsewhere in ASR, e.g. that comment about hiring a PA to follow you around to tell you the time is similar to hiring a band of musicians to play for you every night. What that $150k buys you is craftsmanship. Which is why so many people are fascinated by turntables and valve amps even though the performance might be inferior to your $300 Topping. It's a different market with different priorities, and they don't care. There are even more examples - why do I bother with a beautiful hard cover coffee table book when I could get the same information from a Kindle? Why buy a fountain pen when we have keyboards? Why hang art on walls when you could buy a digital picture frame and enjoy works from the Masters on demand?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"Price: CHF 155,000 pretax" = USD 165,441
If I could afford an accountant, I would be told that I cannot even afford the VAT on that T-500...:(
But its price tag does not prevent me from appreciating the creative minds who can conjure up such beautiful but complex mechanical movements.
This gear-head design is much less complicated than any "turbillon complication" ...even if those did not cost a bazillion!

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Watches are a lot like hi-fi in that regard. A $150k watch does not tell time better than a $150 watch. In fact it is less accurate, less reliable, and requires more servicing and more adjusting. Even the comments here are similar to what we see elsewhere in ASR, e.g. that comment about hiring a PA to follow you around to tell you the time is similar to hiring a band of musicians to play for you every night. What that $150k buys you is craftsmanship. Which is why so many people are fascinated by turntables and valve amps even though the performance might be inferior to your $300 Topping. It's a different market with different priorities, and they don't care. There are even more examples - why do I bother with a beautiful hard cover coffee table book when I could get the same information from a Kindle? Why buy a fountain pen when we have keyboards? Why hang art on walls when you could buy a digital picture frame and enjoy works from the Masters on demand?
I agree with a lot about this comment. Another thing is that watches can be a very balance-sheet friendly hobby. I've had a number of watches appreciate (which I've sold to buy different ones or pocket the $$), and others that I've sold for a small loss (and got to enjoy them for however long at very little cost).

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I could afford an accountant, I would be told that I cannot even afford the VAT on that T-500...:(
But its price tag does not prevent me from appreciating the creative minds who can conjure up such beautiful but complex mechanical movements.
This gear-head design is much less complicated than any "turbillon complication" ...even if those did not cost a bazillion!
I appreciate the 'creative minds who can conjure up such beautiful but complex mechanical movements' but I also believe that it is one of (if not THE MOST) the most FUGLY watches that I can recall seeing.

MarkS

Major Contributor
I actually prefer the Ochs Und Junior Day/Night to the Krayon Anywhere for a mechanical watch with a sunrise/sunset indicator, a bargain at around $16K base price (more if you want fancier stuff like a gold sun):

Reactions: EJ3

Leporello

That's a FUGLY time piece!!
It looks cheap!... I believe it would be perceived as cheap, in a "knowledge of price removed" test!:p
Looks like it came from the INVICTA school of Watch design, an example:
s-l1600.jpg

Peace.
A future cult classic. Mark my words.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A future cult classic. Mark my words.
Not if I owned it!

OT??
I was given my first wrist-watch at the age of 13 and did exactly what any 1960s youth would have done with it.
But the consequences of taking that watch down to its last inner screw taught me a great life-lesson in finance.
You See?
After the old-man discovered that I had devolved that wind-up watch down to its smallest elements; (I presume) He decided to teach me the wrong life-lesson by taking my meager savings to get that #$%^ watch repaired.
His attempted life-lesson never stopped me from either taking things a part or to prevent me from reconstructing them back together... for life.:cool:
The right life-lesson I learned (at that young age) was to NEVER trust anyone with my finances, not even family members. YMMV

Last edited:

nick-v

MarkS

Major Contributor
I had the OG, the HP-35, which I spent all my spare cash on before going off to college. Then at least one other LED model before ending with the HP-15C that I still have somewhere ...

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_1140.jpeg

Jacques Lemans F1 Chronograph gifted to me in 2009.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An odd dare (and even more odd observation) after 39 pages of posts:
I dare anyone to find another female watch in all these pages.:eek:
202303_BlingWatches.png

[Do I win anything for being first to post?:confused:]

Top Bottom