• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Consistent with an earlier post, my "nice" watches mostly sit in the box now that business meetings and business travel are (temporary?) things of the past. This Garmin now gets the most use since it is also my running activity tracker. With no commute these days it happily has far more runs to track!

20201018_210901.jpg

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In case any of you guys are looking for a watch for someone (or yourself), Time Bum is collating the various Black Friday discount deals from individual watch brand websites and several watch vendors

http://www.thetimebum.com/2020/11/2020-black-friday-sales-list.html

For deals on individual watches, register at MoT and check out their deals thread (must be signed into access)

https://www.manontime.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1464

Careful. That MoT watch deals thread is dangerous like the deals thread at Head-Fi. If you follow it during the holiday shopping season, you will most certainly buy something. lol

Hipper

MRC01

Major Contributor
Impressive. Makes me wish my '80s quartz watches were anywhere near as good. ...
Well you're right, and I suspected that was too good to be true. Its accuracy overall is great but its precision is poor. It can be several seconds fast or slow across any given 1-2 day span. But in the long run I've regulated it so that the errors tend to negate each other.

That's what makes regulating mechanical watches so tricky. They can run fast or slow in different positions, at different levels of wind (near full or near empty) and even in the same position and same wind from one minute to the next. When you put them on a timegrapher it can shift fast & slow while you're watching it, for no apparent reason! However, the timegrapher lets you quickly get them in the right ballpark. But getting them really accurate can only be done over time as you watch the variations over a week or month.

MRC01

Major Contributor
... Garmin’s website says this condensation is normal. Only watch I’ve ever had actually do that. Thoughts?
Ouch!
This is most definitely not normal. It means at least one of the watch seals is not sealing.
If the watch still works, pop open the case and dry it out. Remove the movement and clean/dry the inside of the crystal.
When reassembling, I find that cleaning the seals and the channels they ride in, and giving the seals a very light coat of silicone grease, helps prevent this. It prevents the seals from drying out or cracking.
I use the same stuff I use to service scuba gear.

dougi

1982 Seiko 7A28. Like this one:

111seiko.jpeg

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Anyone wearing a microbrand like Nodus, Raven, Zelos, etc.? What do you think?
Does Christopher Ward qualify as a micro brand?

dougi

Does Christopher Ward qualify as a micro brand?
Well, internet only so probably. Their prices have been creeping up but there are certainly lots of much more expensive microbrands. I have the first version of the Trident GMT, back when they bothered to put serial numbers on (#047). I had to get the 24HR hand realigned by a watchmaker though. Hopefully increased prices means better QC.

StefaanE

Forum Donor
Well, internet only so probably. Their prices have been creeping up but there are certainly lots of much more expensive microbrands. I have the first version of the Trident GMT, back when they bothered to put serial numbers on (#047). I had to get the 24HR hand realigned by a watchmaker though. Hopefully increased prices means better QC.
I have a number of watches from Chris’ early days, when they still had women’s watches with diamonds (and Mike French wasn’t a co-founder, somehow;)). I also have one of the early COSC day/date Tridents, #140/200, which is my daily wear.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope that it is OK to put one on here that I aspire to own:
NIWA Nixie watch V 2.0 - Titanium Purple Custom Burned

1608013446067.png

Features:
- Wireless charging, QI standard
- Carbon fiber back cover
- Reduced power consumption hours in standby mode.
- Work up to 100 days in standby mode.
- Disable side lamps with a battery charge less then 10%
- Disable display of all the tubes at a charge of 3% for the long-term preservation of the operation of the calculation of time.
- Disconnection of the entire system from the battery at a critically low charge to prevent degradation of the battery (time goes to 00:00)
- When the board is completely disconnected from the battery, for about a month the battery keeps a safe charge level until the internal controller of the battery triggers. The entire process from full charge to triggering the internal battery controller can take 5 months.
- Fixed showing seconds (for display does not need accurate holding the position of the hand)
- Sleep mode to save battery charge (blocking the time display in any tilt position).

Specs:
Titanium custom burned purple case
IN-16 tubes, IV-15 side tubes
Sapphire glass
Comes with leather-silicone strap
Splash water resistance
Battery lasts for up to 3 month without charging
Charging takes 3 hours
Diametr-50 mm
Hight-17 mm

Top Bottom