• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Watches! What do y'all have on your wrists?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
*whistle* that's really nice. i love the roman numerals and small seconds subdial. would love to know the reference number on this if you have it. lovely!

Omega 5950.30.03

This was part of a criminally underrated series of watches released in precious metals (18K gold or platinum) to mark Omega's centenary in 1994. The idea was to take the gorgeous proportions and details of 1940s-1950s Omegas but with modern manufacturing techniques.

What I especially love is the brushed case flanks, caseback and polished bezel. Makes it rather understated in a good way.

Hence there is a domed sapphire crystal on the front and a sapphire display caseback. The movement is a new-old stock Omega Calibre 269 finished and regulated to modern standards.

IMG_20240403_215435.jpg

This was one of the dial colours released globally and a few more colours were released exclusively for the Japanese market. References I've seen are: 5950.51.01 (black glit dial -- said to be the rarest one sold as a single piece), 5950.81.03 (blue and gold dial), 5950.32.03 (white and gold dial), 5950.31.03 (blue and gold dial), 5960.60.02 (an achingly beautiful platinum case), 5970.18.02 (the rarest of the lot, with a cloisonne enamel dial, sold only as a set of 3 with my reference and the platinum).

You can find the rose gold ones around for 4.5k-6k USD in varying conditions from time to time still. I see a few specimens from this series on sale right now -- they tend to get snapped up quite fast and pristine examples with box and papers sell for closer to 10k at auction. I paid around 5k for mine, which has the original 18K gold buckle and croc strap. Which I'm comfortable with as it is absolutely pristine compared to some of the examples available local to me. Unfortunately the croc strap for mine was seized at customs and the spring bars at the lugs went with it.

If you're interested I can PM you some links to a couple of unsold listings I know of.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Does the hour hand move at half speed to for a 24 hour clock reading?
They make several versions that are different in that regard. The "purist" is most like the 1953 original, with a half-speed hour hand and does not have a separate GMT hand. Mine is the GMT, where the extra GMT hand is half-speed 24-hour while the others are 12-hour like a normal watch. This easily tracks 3 time zones: one from the hands, one from the GMT hand, and another where the GMT hand aligns with the hour on the rotating locking bezel.

They also make bigger 40mm versions, but those are not for me.

poxymoron

View attachment 361067

Wears its 30 years of age lightly!

(side note: if you have a lead for period-correct Omega 18K gold spring bars, please share them. Customs seized the original spring bars on this watch alongside the croc strap.)
Fantastic, one of my all time favourites. I have the Dan Henry homage, the 1947. It's only a pretender but a really elegant dress watch non the less.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Fantastic, one of my all time favourites. I have the Dan Henry homage, the 1947. It's only a pretender but a really elegant dress watch non the less.

I wasn't aware Dan Henry did that! I love the design for how much detail it packs on a dial while remaining so coherent and legible.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
It was the house brand of Denney Jewelers in Springfield, IL which still exists and is still owned by Denneys and their progeny. No relation that we could determine, but the gave me the family discount anyway.

The watch is made by the Belair Watch Company, which is based in Oklahoma but uses mostly Swiss parts including Ronda quartz movements. Belair specializes in making jewelry store house brands.

The “est.” date is 1954, not 1934, the year Ray Denney opened his own store.

If you need service, contact Denney Jewelers in Springfield. They will replace batteries for free.

These are solid and reliable watches on a par with Seiko and Citizen quartz watches of the type found in jewelry stores in the USA.

Rick “decent watch” Denney
So funny, I just read your comment about the ETA 2895-2 movement somewhere. I am delighted that I purchased an almost new 24 year old Baume & Mercer Capeland with black dial and stainless steel bracelet. The seller had purchased it for his father who passed away the next year and the watch sat unused for close to 23 years! Just received it yesterday and it is running like a champ. Really like the styling of the watch, and as someone with a fairly small wrist, I can actually pull off the smallish case size of 39mm well enough. I usually wear larger case sizes, but I like this. It looks new except for two small (and disclosed by the seller) blemishes on the bezel.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Might sound odd, but don't think I have ever owned a watch. There is one I am tempted by though, the Nixie watch. Absolutely amazing steampunk kinda vibe...

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Might sound odd, but don't think I have ever owned a watch. There is one I am tempted by though, the Nixie watch. Absolutely amazing steampunk kinda vibe...

Looks interesting, certainly has a vibe. I would worry though that it will not tolerate bumps and knocks well.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looks interesting, certainly has a vibe. I would worry though that it will not tolerate bumps and knocks well.
Yeah, not something I'd wear to work or any vigorous activity for sure. More a curio above all else. Saying that, those particular tubes were used in industrial applications, probably far more rugged than the Hi-fi type variety.

Top Bottom