• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Warranty in DAC and AMPS

Viper Necklampy

I completed my Plan of audio setup, and I must thank users of this site, You're great. So i was wandering, i'm absolutely new in professionals audio gears, someone who have Experience with DACs and Amps..
Does these devices have good percentage of failure/breaking? Do you suggest almost always to spend some little extra for extended warranty? I was hooking up for Topping D50 dac (250$) and JDS Atom Labs (115$), what would you suggest me to do? Warranty on D50 only cause it's pricier?? To be sincere, i never used warranty, i'm 20 and I live in Italy, I probably purchase on ebay the D50 (tell me if is better somewhere else) and i don't know even if I should send back At my costs for warranty, it should cost me about €30 for shipping in USA, how much time they Will need, etc.. I heard that topping has not one of the best Customer support.. Any help or suggestion is very welcome ^^
Actually, a thing that could brother me is this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-TOPPI...-USB-32Bit-768KHz-DSD512-/112870302035?_ul=IT it seems to have great price on the market, and the faster shipping too, the feedback are astonishing, but it says ''The seller is away'', It's bad thing? Does it will have warranty too? I should buy that? The before I Order is better to me.. Thanks for the comprehension :)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Realistically, the products you are considering are disposable. They are unlikely to be repaired in a fault situation and would likely be replaced if failure occurred under the warranty. That said, a warranty becomes pretty useless if your are returning to base in another country at your cost.

It is most likely the products will last several years and should offer value for money within that period. Don't expect the earth from them and you won't be disappointed.

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

Realistically, the products you are considering are disposable. They are unlikely to be repaired in a fault situation and would likely be replaced if failure occurred under the warranty. That said, a warranty becomes pretty useless if your are returning to base in another country at your cost.

It is most likely the products will last several years and should offer value for money within that period. Don't expect the earth from them and you won't be disappointed.
Thanks Man, so I think i'll not doing any warranty, only if it's provides by the site itself :) BTW, do you suggest me to buy the D50 from ebay which i linked?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All electronics are subject to the bathtub curve of failures. That means that products fail mostly when they're new, (say within a few months) and consequently under warranty, or they last a long time, and fail when they get to their end-of-life, well outside any warranty, original or extended.

That's why I never take out extended warranties as they, bye and large, are a con.

As John so rightly said, most electronics these days are disposable items, if they fail under warranty, you'll be given another one, if they fail outside warranty, you throw them away as at their purchase price they're either beyond economic repair, or are just unrepairable. I hope that the forthcoming European 'Right to Repair' has some effect, but I suspect that the Right to Repair won't take cost into account, and so, yes, you'll have the right to have a product repaired outside warranty, but the cost might exceed buying a new one.

As an anecdote, I bought a calculator a little while ago, for the princely sum of £9.95, and as the item was 'electronics', the shop solemnly wrote me out a warranty card that said they had the right to choose to repair or replace the unit if faulty.....as if they'd repair it!

S.

invaderzim

If you are going to buy items that require you send them to China for warranty then I highly recommend buying for a reputable vendor that will stand behind it. I had a Topping D30 die and wasn't looking forward to weeks without it and having to pay to send it to China. Parts-Express stepped up and completely took care of it for me. As for JDS Labs, I emailed them a pre-purchase question about a product on a weekend and got an answer within about 30 minutes.

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

If you are going to buy items that require you send them to China for warranty then I highly recommend buying for a reputable vendor that will stand behind it. I had a Topping D30 die and wasn't looking forward to weeks without it and having to pay to send it to China. Parts-Express stepped up and completely took care of it for me. As for JDS Labs, I emailed them a pre-purchase question about a product on a weekend and got an answer within about 30 minutes.
I was looking to purchase here tomorrow TOPPING D50 HIFI Audio DAC ES9038Q2M2 XMOS XU208 DSD512 USB 32Bit/768KHz DSD512 Decoder (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D2ZZMW8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7BJtCbA089RFB Do you think it will have 1 year warranty from amazon.uk? I Will try to contact jds labs too so, you can buy ATOM on their site and massdrop Only? If that's so i would buy in their site, i hope they'll give warranty too, 36$ for shipping in Italy ^^ and they Will let you pay the assurance for 1,50 just because it's not an 100$ Order but 99$ lol I see those little Topping falls a lot, or even DOA without any control? God... If it would happen to me after weeks i would be so Angry..

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the varying warranties from Amazon are.
I bought that from Amazon.uk, good price 210€, I hope it come with 6 months at least of warranty.. I bought jds labs Atom on their site too ^^

Top Bottom