• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Warning When You Quote an Old Reply?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm

Can we have some sort of warning when we're quoting a reply that is over 3 months old? (Or which ever you think is long enough)

Busy forums usually have strict rules regarding reviving old threads, I don't think that's necessary in this space. However when a thread revives for one reason or another I find myself sometimes replying to some old posts that are simply no longer relevant or worth discussing anymore.

Is it possible to implement some sort of warning (As you hit the Quote button) that hey this was posted a really long time ago.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the warning would be a good idea. Sometimes such a post is warranted. For instance I recently posted to an old thread about video switchers to offer up an example of a good one I had found. Otherwise I would have started a virtually identical thread from scratch which clutters up topics. OTOH, yes I see people respond sometimes to a very old thread (often they are new members and likely didn't notice it was old) who necro post, and obviously if it is a question they are unlikely to get a reply from a now inactive thread.

Last edited:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
@amirm

Can we have some sort of warning when we're quoting a reply that is over 3 months old? (Or which ever you think is long enough)

Busy forums usually have strict rules regarding reviving old threads, I don't think that's necessary in this space. However when a thread revives for one reason or another I find myself sometimes replying to some old posts that are simply no longer relevant or worth discussing anymore.

Is it possible to implement some sort of warning (As you hit the Quote button) that hey this was posted a really long time ago.
I would like to reply, but in the spirt of the meeting the requirements of the topic. I must wait until this post is deemed Old! ;)

steve59

Major Contributor
I think what happens is somebody uses a search engine to look up a specific topic and in my case sometimes I won't notice the age of the thread or last post. I've accidentally revived 10 year old threads . yikes

Loathecliff

Proper etiquette in that case is you should have posted a blank saying reserved for future posting. Then filled in the blank in 90 days. :p
I'm just picturing Adam mistakenly attempting to post a day too soon and receiving a 'You do not have permission' notice:facepalm:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this really a problem ? I don’t mind if the discussion gets a bit long . I could be problematic if someone does not read an old tread to end if something relevant has changed .

Dilettante

Perhaps having this warning after >1 year would be more appropriate. Plenty of good conversations with months between replies.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
There is a plug-in for it but these things can get outdated and cause problems when we upgrade forum software. Is it happening a lot?

That's ironic isn't it. The plugin gets outdated like the post it's supposed to be warning you about. :)

OP
A

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a plug-in for it but these things can get outdated and cause problems when we upgrade forum software. Is it happening a lot?
It’s not really a big deal i guess if the value proposition is not worth it.

It’s worth considering though.

Loathecliff

One dares to suggest applying the first rule of admin:-

Do nothing, immediately.

(the alleged problem might go away on its own)

Katji

Major Contributor
Your mind can do it easily. Even easier than installing a habit of checking before or after you post.

Top Bottom