• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Warning: change your password please!

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is no cloud, just other people's computers...
My "policy": credentials stored in a a rar file, encrypted with a really long and difficult password, located on an external USB stick (with multiple backups). Admittedly not very comfortable, but lets me at least feel a bit safer than cloud-based solutions.
That said, perfect online security doesn't exist anyway, a password stored in a browser can also be stolen, or I might catch a keylogger etc.
There is no ideal solution. For some who make little use of the smart phone and do everything from a single PC a piece of paper is good enough. For me who has 3 Windows PCs, a Linux PC, a smart phone and 2 tablets combined with over 60 online passwords I use Bitwarden.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to delete accounts, I have a 2nd account for some long forgotten reason I'd like to delete, but don't see how to do it.

respice finem

Major Contributor
There is no ideal solution. For some who make little use of the smart phone and do everything from a single PC a piece of paper is good enough. For me who has 3 Windows PCs, a Linux PC, a smart phone and 2 tablets combined with over 60 online passwords I use Bitwarden.
How to encrypt a piece of paper? I have quite a few credentials in my rar file, and as yet, it works for me. Doesn't mean it must work for everyone. Maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I don't think my attitude will change.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How to encrypt a piece of paper? I have quite a few credentials in my rar file, and as yet, it works for me. Doesn't mean it must work for everyone. Maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I don't think my attitude will change.
Plenty of simple codes to encrypt a piece of paper. Won't hold up to gov't codebreaking, but will prevent someone from opening your password logbook and reading your passwords.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Is it possible to delete accounts, I have a 2nd account for some long forgotten reason I'd like to delete, but don't see how to do it.

Send me a PM with the details of the old account and I'll have it taken care of.

This attack looks like it is using mostly older logins that haven't been used in a while. That gets around the ability to mark the source as spam, and tends to slip through the general filters more easily.

If everyone could be especially proactive about reporting anything that doesn't look quite right, that will help us as well.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Plenty of simple codes to encrypt a piece of paper. Won't hold up to gov't codebreaking, but will prevent someone from opening your password logbook and reading your passwords.
Better than an encrypted rar on an offline USB stick? IDK... And I can use those "simple codes" in this file as well.
But as said, to each their own...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Send me a PM with the details of the old account and I'll have it taken care of.

This attack looks like it is using mostly older logins that haven't been used in a while. That gets around the ability to mark the source as spam, and tends to slip through the general filters more easily.

If everyone could be especially proactive about reporting anything that doesn't look quite right, that will help us as well.

Mmmm. Suspicious. Way too nice for typical BDWoody. Must be an imposter/hacked account...

*reported*

;)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Better than an encrypted rar on an offline USB stick? IDK... And I can use those "simple codes" in this file as well.
But as said, to each their own...
I'm not suggesting you do anything or offering an opinion on relative security. Just commenting that if one wishes to keep a password notebook, that can be simply encrypted so any stranger cannot read it.

The very best password: one that you have only in your head which is not simple or easy to break. Once you move past that you are into balancing various risks vs convenience. Even with the best possible password, passkeys offer a higher convenience and higher security.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was just highlighting the extremes. If you have a dozen or so accounts on one PC a sheet of paper locked in a drawer is good as any other solution. Just don't stick it to the monitor:)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Just don't stick it to the monitor

That really nice man on the phone from Microsoft in Mumbai told me to take a picture of my stick-it note with my banking passwords on it and he would store the details safely for me in case I ever needed help unlocking my investment account. People are so helpful these days aren't they?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That really nice man on the phone from Microsoft in Mumbai told me to take a picture of my stick-it note with my banking passwords on it and he would store the details safely for me in case I ever needed help unlocking my investment account. People are so helpful these days aren't they?
The one who called me was in the Philippines. Anyway, if you cannot trust Microsoft, who can you trust?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The one who called me was in the Philippines. Anyway, if you cannot trust Microsoft, who can you trust?

I know, right. They knew my name and seemed really genuine. Even knew I was having problems with my internet. Hopefully after I gave them my credit card details, they will get back to me in three weeks like they said they would with an update. *fingers crossed*

dasdoing

Major Contributor
password_strength.png

What is a dictionary brute force attack?

Dictionary attack definition:

A type of brute force attack where an intruder attempts to crack a password-protected security system with a “dictionary list” of common words and phrases used by businesses and individuals.”

JCM800

Password updated to a strong password. Tried to turn on 2FA but got some odd behavior and and error. Will try again later.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Sheesh all my passwords have been the same for 15 years and I keep getting pop ups on my computer that my password was stolen by Chinese actors. The pop up tells me to do all new passwords. I still have not done anything except click on the pop up to delete it. Maybe I should change my pass words. After 15 years it might be time. It is tiring getting 40 to 50 emails every morning from Nigeria, China, India and other assorted countries all wanting me to call them back as they are Microsoft Technical centers and are trying to help me with my passwords. I guess I will change them. Just to get rid of my around the world emails every morning!

As a side note I had to get a new replacement credit card as someone was buying multiple $1000 items at Lowes and other stores on my old card. My bank notified me last week and I got my new card two days ago. Now I have to get all of my autopay accounts fixed with my new credit card. Stinking scammers!

Top Bottom