• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

War for the Planet of the Apes

thelexa

Who else is looking forward to seeing this movie? The trailer looks promising, critics are excited to see this film.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The thing I love about the series is that it taps deep into the speciesist / tribal roots of human nature.

If there was ever a time when homo sapiens sapiens co-existed with other sapient, tool using hominids, my gut says we would have ethnically cleansed them if we could get away with it.

And, despite some utopian sci fi, I think the same would apply to an alien sentient species (if not technologically superior to us) -- our first instincts would be to react with fear, disgust, and then kill it.

Ender's Game explores this.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Who else is looking forward to seeing this movie? The trailer looks promising, critics are excited to see this film.
I plan on seeing this over the weekend. I'll let you know how it is. I thought the last two were pretty good.

Of course I saw the first one's in the 60's with Charlton Heston. My Mom shook her head about me spending my own money to see that. But let me see it anyway. Had to be accompanied by an adult then. I saw all of those. Didn't care for the 2001 movie, the recent ones were much better.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing I love about the series is that it taps deep into the speciesist / tribal roots of human nature.

If there was ever a time when homo sapiens sapiens co-existed with other sapient, tool using hominids, my gut says we would have ethnically cleansed them if we could get away with it.

And, despite some utopian sci fi, I think the same would apply to an alien sentient species (if not technologically superior to us) -- our first instincts would be to react with fear, disgust, and then kill it.

I might not agree on the alien sentient species now. I wouldn't take a hard line against the idea either. I am reading Jared Diamond's most recent book, and his presentation of earlier human bands and tribal units is they pretty much regarded humans they didn't know as you described. Disgust first, then fear and kill them.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Ah, so wonderful to have a optimistic believer in the inherent good of the human spirit on the forum ..

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I might not agree on the alien sentient species now. I wouldn't take a hard line against the idea either. I am reading Jared Diamond's most recent book, and his presentation of earlier human bands and tribal units is they pretty much regarded humans they didn't know as you described. Disgust first, then fear and kill them.
Anything we don't immediately recognises as being 'of us' we will seek to dominate and if we feel insecure about the completeness of that domination we will use violence to eradicate them/it.

For all intents and purposes we still do this, it's just we spend a great deal more time and effort trying to justify it than we used to. We need to negate those unhelpful 'sensibilities ' we seem to of developed over the last few hundred years.

Bummer but it's why we are all still here so I guess you can't make a omelet without breaking some eggs / heads:D

Iv enjoyed these films as I did the originals when they were on tv growing up. I probably won't go to the cinema to watch it as my local one is trash but I will rent it from my service provider when it becomes available.:)

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Earth/Mother Nature was in great shape when there were just apes.

iridium.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning
... Teletubbies ...

I have a CD of music from the program. Some of it is actually pretty good. (Or have I just regressed to my second childhood?)

And the movie - another success for local firm Weta Digital. :)

Top Bottom