• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WANTED: Topping Multichannel DAC (list your wants)

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On another forum @manisandher and I were going back and fourth discussing MCH dacs. That led me to start this thread since @JohnYang1997 is active here. Perhaps he would take some of the feedback into consideration. :)

• 8 fully balanced channels (regular size XLR connectors)
  • Global volume control with remote
  • Individual Channel Adjustment by front screen and software or app
  • Built in streamer for Roon would be ideal
  • Ethernet Input
  • Optical Input
  • USB Input
  • Roon Ready
  • Built in LPS or ability to run an external LPS instead of the SMPS that might be built in? (@manisandher request)
  • ~ $1500 or less ;)
What do you want? Add it to the list and lets see where it goes!

Last edited:

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want a Topping device with a DAC with two outputs simultaneously (like on E50) plus an ADC to digitalize my records.

Basically, I want Topping to design a Scarlett 2i4 with reliable drivers and no channel imbalance.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
On another forum @manisandher and I were going back and fourth discussing MCH dacs. That led me to start this thread since @JohnYang1997 is active here. Perhaps he would take some of the feedback into consideration. :)

• 8 fully balanced channels (regular size XLR connectors)
  • Global volume control with remote
  • Built in streamer for Roon would be ideal
  • Ethernet Input
  • Optical Input
  • USB Input
  • Roon Ready
  • Built in LPS or ability to run an external LPS instead of the SMPS that might be built in? (@manisandher request)
  • ~ $1500 or less ;)
What do you want? Add it to the list and lets see where it goes!
That's called an Okto dac8 PRO.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Not to derail, but if Topping is watching this thread, would love to see what they could do with a power amp.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Same functionality as a regular AV processor from Marantz but done right. :)

Vini darko

Major Contributor
So a pre-processor or a active crossover. Because I don't see much point in a 8 channel dac without one or both of those features.
Honestly I'll be suprised if topping try to enter that market space.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So a pre-processor or a active crossover. Because I don't see much point in a 8 channel dac without one or both of those features.
Honestly I'll be suprised if topping try to enter that market space.
8ch DAC. There are many options

Honken

If a company implements every wish listed in a thread like this, the price definitely won't be less than $1500 and it probably wouldn't be "just a DAC" at that point either but rather some sort of pre/pro with streaming capabilities.

I personally wouldn't mind something like an E50 but with 4x the outputs, in other words 8x TRS, volume control and a remote. For a first product you probably shouldn't try and do everything at once. Especially things that have been proven by others to be hard to get right.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So which market do you see a strait 8 channel dac entering? Only one I can come up with is the custom instal space.
My living room's active 2 ch audio system. 2 drivers per main +4 subs = 8 Channels

cyruz

I think what many are asking for will make it basically not a DAC anymore. If we consider connecting the DAC to a capable source there should be no need to implement any DSP/streamer feature.

All this stuff will increase the price and, most importantly, they will need to provide a specific support. Considering that they didn't release any device with similar features before (am I wrong?) they won't take this route. After all, less is more...

So I think that a simple balanced multichannel DAC with a remote and the right price to compete with some audio interfaces like the Motu mk5 will do it.

OP
jtwrace

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a active dsp crossover situation. So somthing like a mini dsp would be needed not a strait dac. What are you using currently?
Yes, if I want to take a step back then miniDSP is fine.

Audiolense filter through the Roon Convolver with MCH Motu.

Honken

Yeah, a good MCH DAC really is the path of least compromises for stereo playback. Digital DSP is nice.

While the Motu doesn't have a remote, if you are using a PC you could probably integrate an IR receiver control volume that way. Takes a bit of tinkering though.

Top Bottom