• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Want to make a movie psycho? Make them an audiophile!

JaccoW

We all know Patrick Bateman and his $15K Harman Kardon sound system from the movie American Psycho, but just like eating an apple shows someone is the villain, having an (extremely) expensive sound system is the signal of a movie psychopath apparently.

Not an original idea, Derrick Gee pointed this out in a short on his various channels. Other notable examples are Lydia Tar from the movie Tár with a $140K pair of Backes Ünd Müller speakers and of course Alex from A Clockwork Orange and his $10K Transcriptors Hydraulic turntable and Colin Sullivan from the the Departed with his McIntosh stack.
The comments on Instagram has a few more examples.

What other ones do you know? Are all McIntosh owners secret psychopaths? Which ones would you love to have at home?

Digby

Major Contributor
I don't want to derail your thread, but is there any suggestion as to how Alex got his hands on the money for that turntable? I've only seen the film, not read the book, is it a part of the book - is it a good read?

OP
JaccoW

JaccoW

I don't want to derail your thread, but is there any suggestion as to how Alex got his hands on the money for that turntable? I've only seen the film, not read the book, is it a part of the book - is it a good read?
I haven't read the book but seeing how movie Alex goes around stealing, beating people up and finally lands in prison for breaking in and murdering a rich dude... perhaps he stole it?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I honestly think Alex's turntable was kind of a placeholder, enabling and representing the whole 9th Symphony obsession. Kubrick chose it, as it turns out. He probably just thought it was cool.

egellings

Major Contributor
I haven't read the book but seeing how movie Alex goes around stealing, beating people up and finally lands in prison for breaking in and murdering a rich dude... perhaps he stole it?
I took the termite's point of view and preferred the book.

Top Bottom