• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Want Better Sound at Low Volumes? Try a Really Large Sub.

AaronDC

I have KEF LSX (Gen 1) in an extreme nearfield desk setup in my small 80sf office. I listen to Spotify all day at 55-60dB, so it's a bit of a challenge to enhance sound quality. I added a loudness EQ and it helped. I tried my REL T/Zero on all kinds of settings and meh, it didn't do much. Then on a lark I tried my very large Hsu VTF-2 MK4 and it made a huge difference. I set a high pass at 90 and low pass for the sub at 95. The sub plays very quietly and adds exactly what I wanted. I think I'll grab a SVS Micro 3000 for the office and return the Hsu to the living room if it works. If the Hsu has to stay, I can put plants on it. Done for now!! Until someone says Genelec... Please. Don't.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Even better, add two subs.

My adventures in stereo

The maximum benefit is from from finding the best position for your single sub, the one which offers you the best in room response
The other subs are to fill in the dips and to give you head room

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Size matters and I'm a "big woofer" guy. To me 8-inches is barely a woofer and much-less a subwoofer. :p

BUT - Speaker design involves many choices & compromises. A smaller woofer in the same size box can often go deeper but usually not as loud. And, you can usually design a woofer to go deeper if you give-up efficiency. So if you are listening at lower volumes you can make some "good compromises". But because of the equal loudness contours, the bass can't be too wimpy and it usually needs to be boosted.

Pro subwoofers used for live music and in clubs are typically tuned to go down to around 40Hz and they are highly efficient and loud. The lowest note on a standard electric bass guitar is about 40Hz, and that's low enough for bass you can feel in your body.

Home theater subwoofers often go lower. In the smaller space you don't need as much efficiency or total output.

OP
A

AaronDC

So, if you were in my position with a budget of, say, $900, is there a small sub that you would recommend? Or does the SVS Micro 3000 sound like a good option?

radix

Major Contributor
I use the SVS Micro 3000 in a bedroom with some KEF Q350 on an AVR and it fills in the bass very well. It's maybe 150-200 sqft. I also use one as a 2nd sub in a larger HT setup. They do put out good volume, though the low end is limited compared to bigger subs.

As was said above, position matters a lot for a sub, as the room modes have a giant effect. You need to find the right place so your head position is not in a null.

Keened

Forum Donor
So, if you were in my position with a budget of, say, $900, is there a small sub that you would recommend? Or does the SVS Micro 3000 sound like a good option?
Define small? (2) Speedwoofers Mk II would fit your budget and help fix room mode issues.

Edit: When you say you used loudness EQ, what frequencies was it changing? Once you start to get that low you need to boost the upper and lower frequencies.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have KEF LSX (Gen 1) in an extreme nearfield desk setup in my small 80sf office. I listen to Spotify all day at 55-60dB, so it's a bit of a challenge to enhance sound quality. I added a loudness EQ and it helped. I tried my REL T/Zero on all kinds of settings and meh, it didn't do much. Then on a lark I tried my very large Hsu VTF-2 MK4 and it made a huge difference. I set a high pass at 90 and low pass for the sub at 95. The sub plays very quietly and adds exactly what I wanted. I think I'll grab a SVS Micro 3000 for the office and return the Hsu to the living room if it works. If the Hsu has to stay, I can put plants on it. Done for now!! Until someone says Genelec... Please. Don't.
Exactly. Most rooms can use a table of some sort.

Top Bottom