• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WAMM Master Chronosonic by Wilson Audio

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Hmmm, Wilson big speakers when I have heard them are always extremely good. His Watts and some middle of the line models could be less than enjoyable though good in many ways. I bet these sound great.

Now, to what did you object to the most? Foo about measurable differences in wire twist or perhaps the microseconds alignment foo? And what a shame, Stereophile didn't measure them. Or was it that after talking about microseconds timing they auditioned them with only the finest sources from a turntable of course.

By far the most impressive thing is they are limiting themselves to only making 70 pairs of these at $685,000 a pair. Why that is only a mid-sized Lexus sedan short of $48 million of product. WOW!

Besides why wouldn't someone want at least 5 for surround sound or maybe 11 for Atmos. Mounting the god speaker overhead if it were one of these will be quite the chore. Makes that Beolab speaker for $84K which includes everything except a source seem downright cheap. Not inexpensive, but cheapy cheap.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I need someone to explain to me how he achieves the Time Alignment they so much talk about... As for the asking price, it is to let you know how much better it has to be. This speaker surpasses anything that cost less and is thus, inferior to anything costing more.

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I need someone to explain to me how he achieves the Time Alignment they so much talk about...
NW10.jpg

Move the boxes backwards and forwards relative to the listener's ears.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And that would work at all frequencies... regardless of crossover slopes, etc ???? WoW!!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And what a shame, Stereophile didn't measure them. Or was it that after talking about microseconds timing they auditioned them with only the finest sources from a turntable of course.
I would guess the measurements will come in the future promised Mikey Fremer review.
Check the comments for my post. LOL

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Dave Wilson said:
"It's about time; it's all about time. Flat frequency response, low distortion, extended bandwidth, and accurate timing synchronicity are equally important. It's nice if you have phase coherence, but it is not necessary. What I'm interested in is the synchronicity of the leading edge of each note."
Yes, that's probably what I'd say too if I didn't have phase coherence.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that's probably what I'd say too if I didn't have phase coherence.

Well whilst it is true that very, very few speakers are phase coherent, Quqd 63 and derivatives perhaps (??) it is also true that almost zero modern recordings are either.

Any recording mixed from multiple spot microphones, ie all pop and nowadays pretty well all classical too, can not be phase coherent.

These two facts lead me to be happy that phase coherence in speakers could make, at best, a microscopically tiny contribution to SQ and then on pretty well only vintage recordings.
If phase coherence was an important contributor to SQ we would have to have been well aware of it and I suppose high-fidelity equipment would never have developed in the way it has.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Kii Three is completely phase coherent on 'normal ' latency, you do lose that though if you select 'low' latency mode. It is the only speaker available to offer this I believe.
Keith

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Well whilst it is true that very, very few speakers are phase coherent, Quqd 63 and derivatives perhaps (??) it is also true that almost zero modern recordings are either.

Any recording mixed from multiple spot microphones, ie all pop and nowadays pretty well all classical too, can not be phase coherent.

These two facts lead me to be happy that phase coherence in speakers could make, at best, a microscopically tiny contribution to SQ and then on pretty well only vintage recordings.
If phase coherence was an important contributor to SQ we would have to have been well aware of it and I suppose high-fidelity equipment would never have developed in the way it has.
A quote from a review of a speaker where the phase correction can be turned off:
Low-latency mode brings the in/ out delay to a perfectly usable 1ms, by disabling the look-ahead element of the LF overload limiting and also by switching off the system phase correction. It makes for a fascinating listening experience. I very much doubt that a change in LF overload protection would be audible at the kind of moderate levels I listen at, however the change of phase response is clearly audible. The monitor loses a little of its imaging ability and overall precision in low-latency mode so that things sound a little less ‘together’.
One problem with the audio 'meme' that "phase doesn't matter" is that historical experiments could not compare undistorted phase against distorted phase because there were no speakers capable of producing high quality sound with undistorted phase. Couple that with the 'meme' that all listening tests are best carried out with in mono with single speakers, and it easy to see how it could have been missed that phase is audible, and especially that undistorted phase is essential for excellent stereo imaging.

As to whether recordings are 'phase coherent', I am not sure what that means. Even if the recording is a composite of several tracks and multiple mics, if the bongo is recorded raw with a phase-coherent mic, then I want to hear it phase coherent when played back.

Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
The fact it was a Kii Three review was just incidental. It could have been any speaker where phase correction can be turned on an off.

I have removed the offending words from my earlier posts.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The Kii Three is completely phase coherent on 'normal ' latency, you do lose that though if you select 'low' latency mode. It is the only speaker available to offer this I believe.
Keith
Not so, linn make one too.. So I believe .

CAP

Its the creativity that brings about the desire to push the boundaries in this hobby. We need the David Wilson's and the Dan D'Agostino's, Albert VonShwenkert's to push the boundaries.. We all will benefit from trickle down technology.. Wilson them selves are great at this with using drivers and learned tech in their lower down the tree designs.. Lets embrace these and hope to hear them some day

Top Bottom