• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wall of Foam acoustic tiles behind hifi/speakers?

RustySpoons

I've done a bit of DIY here to chase the walls to run new power cables.
I really need to strip the wallpaper off and redecorate but I thought about sticking those acoustic foam tiles all over the wall instead, I personally like the look of them.

However, would it have a detrimental effect on my hifi or would it improve things?

garbulky

Major Contributor
Right now on my wall is lots and lots of acoustic foam.
(This is based on my subjective impressions here, no measurements taken. )

The first thing to know is that with just plain acoustic foam there isn't a ton of absorption. However if you stick enough in there, there is a difference and it's one I like. What I like about the foam is that it's cheaper than the significantly more effective acoustic panels. So I can coat a whole bunch. While I would be spending a lot more going the acoustic panel route. Though I probably would get better results if I did.

So that's what I did. Fair warning though, it looks hideous. Also I use the 2.5 inch kind instead of the cheaper 1 inch.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Acoustic foam tiles will absorb the high frequencies and leave the rest the same. In other words, you will be adding an EQ to all reflected sound. Not a good idea!

If like the look of them, you can put a few here and there but don't cover the walls with them.

OP
RustySpoons

RustySpoons

Right now on my wall is lots and lots of acoustic foam.
(This is based on my subjective impressions here, no measurements taken. )

The first thing to know is that with just plain acoustic foam there isn't a ton of absorption. However if you stick enough in there, there is a difference and it's one I like. What I like about the foam is that it's cheaper than the significantly more effective acoustic panels. So I can coat a whole bunch. While I would be spending a lot more going the acoustic panel route. Though I probably would get better results if I did.

So that's what I did. Fair warning though, it looks hideous. Also I use the 2.5 inch kind instead of the cheaper 1 inch.
Thank you for the reply, i'd love to see pictures of this.
I'm doing it as a "Feature" wall, an alternative to wallpapering as I really don't like it and have never tried it before.
These are the tiles I'm thinking of and works out cheaper than wallpapering:
Acoustic_Wedge_Foam_800x.jpg

OP
RustySpoons

RustySpoons

Acoustic foam tiles will absorb the high frequencies and leave the rest the same. In other words, you will be adding an EQ to all reflected sound. Not a good idea!

If like the look of them, you can put a few here and there but don't cover the walls with them.
That's what I'm concerned about really, I thought it would look a bit different but worried I might sacrifice sound some how.
I couldn't find any information about whether someone has done a whole wall, only for recording purposes. Which is different than listening.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Thank you for the reply, i'd love to see pictures of this.
I'm doing it as a "Feature" wall, an alternative to wallpapering as I really don't like it and have never tried it before.
These are the tiles I'm thinking of and works out cheaper than wallpapering:
Acoustic_Wedge_Foam_800x.jpg
First I'd like to mention that Amir probably has more hard data on this than me. So you may want to take his advice here. I don't actually know the absorption frequencies. Just my experience with it.

As for my wall. Oh Lord, I'm not kidding about it being ugly. :D :D I'm too embarrassed to post it! My wife's a saint!
It's about 6 pr 7 feet tall by 11 feet or so.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EIHFOTM/

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Surly plasterboard effectively absorbs some part of the frequency spectrum hence EQ’ing the sound?

What wall surface gives a perfectly flat frequency reflection ? Non?

@RustySpoons firstly welcome , secondly I’d go look for the problem before trying to administer the solution. What are you trying to fix?

You might have some nasty reflections coming off a radiator or some such thing, if there’s some obvious reflective surface I’d try putting these on that rather than all over the back wall as you will end up messing things up doing that .

OP
RustySpoons

RustySpoons

Surly plasterboard effectively absorbs some part of the frequency spectrum hence EQ’ing the sound?

What wall surface gives a perfectly flat frequency reflection ? Non?

@RustySpoons firstly welcome , secondly I’d go look for the problem before trying to administer the solution. What are you trying to fix?

You might have some nasty reflections coming off a radiator or some such thing, if there’s some obvious reflective surface I’d try putting these on that rather than all over the back wall as you will end up messing things up doing that .

Thank you for the warm welcome
I don't actually have any problems, only that I can't be bothered wallpapering and wanted to do something a bit different. I've always liked the look of acoustic tiles so thought it might look a bit different but was concerned it might alter the sound in a negative way.

Also you mention plasterboard, as this is a UK house and of a modern-ish construction it has no solid internal walls, everything is plasterboard.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Thank you for the warm welcome
I don't actually have any problems, only that I can't be bothered wallpapering and wanted to do something a bit different. I've always liked the look of acoustic tiles so thought it might look a bit different but was concerned it might alter the sound in a negative way.

Also you mention plasterboard, as this is a UK house and of a modern-ish construction it has no solid internal walls, everything is plasterboard.
Wallpapering is a mugs game , I don’t blame you for trying to avoid that at all costs.. Iv got wooden diffusers stuck all about my gaff , a sure sign of mental illness if ever there was one though It’s a step down from the padded cell I used to enjoy... :D

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
That's what I'm concerned about really, I thought it would look a bit different but worried I might sacrifice sound some how.
I couldn't find any information about whether someone has done a whole wall, only for recording purposes. Which is different than listening.
As has been mentioned filling the room with foam is a bad idea as it can excessively affect the reflected sound in the high frequency range. You need to get the rooms reverberation down to an appropriate level but as evenly as possible across the frequency range. This can often be acheived to a large degree with typical room furnishings. However if you have wooden floors, no carpet etc, the room can sound confusing and lack clarity. In my listening/theatre room there isnt any furniture beyond the two leather couches so I have applied a mix of diffusion and absorption.

So it depends on your room really, but definitely dont over do it.

I use a mixture of vicoustic products which are effective over a range of frequencies. The datasheets will provide more info.

https://www.vicoustic.com/category/h-h-products

Last edited:
OP
RustySpoons

RustySpoons

As has been mentioned filling the room with foam is a bad idea as it can excessively affect the reflected sound in the high frequency range. You need to get the rooms reverberation down to an appropriate level but as evenly as possible across the frequency range. This can often be acheived to a large degree with typical room furnishings. However if you have wooden floors, no carpet etc, the room can sound confusing and lack clarity. In my listening/theatre room there isnt any furniture beyond the two leather couches so I have applied a mix of diffusion and absorption.

So it depends on your room really, but definitely dont over do it.

I use a mixture of vicoustic products which are effective over a range of frequencies. The datasheets will provide more info.

https://www.vicoustic.com/category/h-h-products
Wow, that Multifuser stuff looks stunning!

Looks like I won't bother with foam then, I'll have to practice wallpapering :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
There's this:

OP
RustySpoons

RustySpoons

Guermantes

Live end, dead end acoustics were once all the rage in studio control rooms. That's probably closest to the approach you were going to take with the wall behind the speakers covered with absorption. The benefit of this design is that it has a wide listening area, though the closer you are to the live end of the room, the more the reflections will colour the sound.

Recently it seems to be all about diffusion and reflection-free zone (RFZ) designs. Basically, you choose a sweet-spot listening position and then apply acoustic absorbers or diffusers strategically around the room to reduce the reflections arriving at that point. The disadvantage is that the sweet-spot can turn out to be quite small -- OK if you always sit in the same spot to listen to music but not good if you want to move around.

Nice overview here: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/sos-guide-control-room-design

How does your room sound? Are there problems you feel you need to address? Or are you mostly motivated by aesthetics? Furniture and wall hangings can change a room's sound. Bookshelves filled with books can be surprisingly effective as diffusion.

EDIT: Ah, ok, seems this has been haggled over before:
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...iffuser-wall-treatments-that-arent-ugly.1901/

Last edited:
Top Bottom