• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WAF friendly, cost effective acoustic absorption panels

Bamboszek

That's a bummer. I guess arranging shipping of a such a big product to different part of Europe isn't really cost-effective.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Ive treated my room, and my ears to GIK Panels and it’s possibly one of the best “hifi/audio” decisions I’ve made, I went for the plain coloured panels with standard camera fabric and think they look good for what they cost, although saying that I do live alone so have no one to satisfy/convince of the sonic merits of living in a “spaceship“ (my mates 4yr old son calls it “the spaceship”), he thinks it’s cool and just like being in a spaceship when he’s sat down at the desk with a space screensaver playing with the “eve” coloured lighting and selecting his own tunes on tidal kids, if a 4yr old thinks it cool then that’s good enough praise for me.

My GIK room here on the room treatment thread

Helicopter

Major Contributor
If I were doing this, I would order some original oil on canvas paintings from China on Ebay, and stretch them on deep boxes full of the stiff acoustic mineral or glass material. I might or might not frame them, depending on decor.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
How transparent will those be?
Good question. They will reflect the highest frequencies a bit more. Probably depends on the particular canvas and painting and the thickness of the inside frame what they reflect that would be absorbed by an acoustic fabric. Certainly way better than drywall, and likely better than MDF shiplap or tongue and groove wood. WAF would be excellent here too.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Good question. They will reflect the highest frequencies a bit more. Probably depends on the particular canvas and painting and the thickness of the inside frame what they reflect that would be absorbed by an acoustic fabric. Certainly way better than drywall, and likely better than MDF shiplap or tongue and groove wood. WAF would be excellent here too.
Then send GIK a high resolution photo and let them reproduce it on an acoustically porous material. They do a surprisingly great job.

Last edited:

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Akupannel is really really good looking.
I agree. It's sound absorption class E only though.
Screenshot_20210305_084001.jpg
They recommend 45mm of additional insulation behind the panels if any midrange absorption is needed.

nerone

Hello everyone, here are my vibrating membrane acoustic traps, built with 4 pieces of fir wood, a sheet of poplar plywood and a rock wool panel.
They are exceptional

Attachments

• IMG_20190828_150533.jpg
    IMG_20190828_150533.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 20210302_092403.jpg
    20210302_092403.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 161

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I thought they’re class D if you install them according to their guidelines?
Ok, I checked their mounting guide and seems there's a 45mm air gap (-> class D) when mounting the panels on battens. That's why they recommend 45mm of insulation (-> class A) since it fits inside the 'air space'. The panels themselves are class E.

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

That looks very neat and tidy for a listening room :) But would in no way satisfy my wife for an actual living room. And me neither quite frankly. It's just too many panels and to little room. I saw that Gikacoustics has some free tooling. I'll have a try and see what I can do with a limited amount of panels in my room.

Zoomer

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
It's unclear to me what you're trying to accomplish. But treatment of midrange and tweeter should be in mirror images. And low frequency absorption needs to be at places where you actually have resonanances of lows that effect the listening position. A simulation in REW is likely to be misleading.

Measurements of products are generally based on measurements only related to large room acoustics and can not be used for small rooms. This is an area where there's a lot of wrong marketing and misunderstanding.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
How effective would hanging a carpet on the wall be for absorption in mid/high? If it works on the floor the floor it should work on a wall as well, shouldn't it?
A rug only absorbs the very highest frequencies and leaves the rest unreated. That's a poor way to treat reflections as it alters the spectral content greatly. You want broadband treatment (evenly down to Schroeder) of specular energy.

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's unclear to me what you're trying to accomplish. But treatment of midrange and tweeter should be in mirror images. And low frequency absorption needs to be at places where you actually have resonanances of lows that effect the listening position. A simulation in REW is likely to be misleading.

Measurements of products are generally based on measurements only related to large room acoustics and can not be used for small rooms. This is an area where there's a lot of wrong marketing and misunderstanding.

Sounds like I'll need to rephrase the question a bit: So you #1 is my room, which is quite reverberant. What is the best way to treat this, and where should I place this treatment? Oh, and I'd like to keep it budget-friendly, as well as not looking like a studio.

I thought the GIK Visualizer would actually help in simulating room acoustics, but it seems to be just a simple home planner tool :rolleyes:

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Sounds like I'll need to rephrase the question a bit: So you #1 is my room, which is quite reverberant. What is the best way to treat this, and where should I place this treatment? Oh, and I'd like to keep it budget-friendly, as well as not looking like a studio.

I thought the GIK Visualizer would actually help in simulating room acoustics, but it seems to be just a simple home planner tool :rolleyes:
Perhaps these might help some:
https://www.lydogakustikk.no/en/where-to-place-acoustic-treatment/
https://www.lydogakustikk.no/en/absorption-or-diffusion/

You see the most important reflections to treat in the images below.
Refleksjoner.jpg

Top Bottom