• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WADAX: R Harley trying to explain a $220k streamer and DAC price….

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They'd have us believe that int akes them hundreds of thousands to do what Chinese dac manufacturers can achieve with a BOM of just under $100.

Jesus wept.
:D:D
Jesus wept, but Thomas Edison is laughing...

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning

jsrtheta

There are more than enough people out there to buy a product like this without even looking at the price, or giving it a second thought. Unless their name is James Dyson or Musk, they are unlikely to be engineers and hence uninterested in the engineering. If it's the best, they'll want it. One reason why they may think it's the best is because it's the most expensive, it wouldn't make much difference if it was more or less expensive.

So if you're complaining about the price and value for money, or concerned for starving migrants, I think you've missed the point.

You just need to get over being poor, or poor enough not to be able to afford a $220k DAC, and that people who wouldn't notice this expenditure don't look at the world the same way you do.

Such people are unlikely to be stupid. They are likely to be very clever. I've not met many stupid billionaires.
Neither Musk not Dyson has a degree in electrical engineering. Musk's M.S. is in economics (Wharton).

Dyson is a clever inventor. Musk is a huckster.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Dyson is an inventor with an engineering leaning, musk is a visionary ( huckster).

Met Dyson a couple of times when I contracted for them around the time of the failed washing machine. It used the mclaren F1 front wheel bearing as the main drum bearing.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't think of *anything* that this product *could* do that would justify its existence (other than to take money from wealthy gullible folks).
Ah, doesn't that actually justify it's existence? (At least to the profiteers) :p

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Peter Aczel once started a sort of gofundme project to send Harley to EE school. It got a couple of bucks, but was abandoned.

Harley later did, though, get some sort of relevant degree (EE?). You wouldn't know it from his writing.
It is a mistake to believe that these people write these drivels because of ignorance. No!
They write because of full knoweldge of their market and of their (these people) value to that market.
They know.

Peace.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Dyson is an inventor with an engineering leaning, musk is a visionary ( huckster).

Met Dyson a couple of times when I contracted for them around the time of the failed washing machine. It used the mclaren F1 front wheel bearing as the main drum bearing.
What does it take to be a visionary? The guy who discovered how to obtain alcohol has got the most followers, so...

Adi777

$220k? Wow. For such money, I would build a separate building just for music. Consultation with an acoustician from the very beginning. Perfect room dimensions, the best acoustic treatments, close cooperation between acoustics and custom-made column designers.
I think $ 220,000 should be enough for such fun ;)

Andysu

Major Contributor
this streaming hot steaming pile of sheer daylight robbery of $220k

index.jpg

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When things are that disproportionately expensive, "explanations" are simply a story line to tell others when it's bragging rights time. Nobody expects science, and for a fact few listeners will know enough to dispute the story.

notsodeadlizard

I don't understand the logic behind the threads like this.
Because I have not seen people with machine guns on the street who force you to buy these things.
Therefore, it is not entirely clear why someone should explain the price of this.
And it is not clear why this all excites those who are not going to buy it.
Especially since it's about obviously luxury goods.
Whoever wants and can painlessly buy this - well done, does the right thing.
The Spanish company will receive honestly earned money.

Someone buys a Casio watch, someone buys a Graff Diamonds Hallucination.
The world is big and there is a place for everything.
And this is very good.

Top Bottom