• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VU Meters: Let's See 'Em!!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ampex used Modutec, Dixon, Simpson, Tripplite and probably some other US manufacturers of meters. All of these are probably long gone. The Ampex MM-1200 was from the early 70s, and is of course long gone, and Ampex hasn't made analog tape machines in decades.

I assume so too; time really flies...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I completed my DIY of 12-VU-Meter Array using the nice NISHIZAWA R-65 VU meter with large glass-face (face size 100Wx40H mm) and high-grade 2700K LED illumination;
Awesome job, congrats.
Do your subwoofers rattle all the china in that beautiful chest? LOL
Seriously, is that chest a newer production or an antique?

Andysu

Major Contributor
let me see your CB VU meter

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
oh, roger that .
Kool, what self respecting audiophile from back in the day doesn't own that Radio Shack SL meter.
I've had the exact same one for I don't know how many years now and it still works perfect.
Just keep a fresh 9v battery in it.

Who needs any damn smart phone app. ;)

Andysu

Major Contributor
Kool, what self respecting audiophile from back in the day doesn't own that Radio Shack SL meter.
I've had the exact same one for I don't know how many years now and it still works perfect.
Just keep a fresh 9v battery in it.

Who needs any damn smart phone app. ;)
i find the VU meter way better than then digital meter that is so not accurate when moving it side to side for high frequency the digits dance around too much . the VU needle meter is way better shows me the accuracy . also when switched to fast C weighting with sine wave on the sub bass at 20Hz shows the movement of the sub least that is how i see it . if i place my hand on the subs cone i feel the pulse of the sine wave with the VU realsistc i see the same . the lower the sine wave the more the needle moves or wobbles .

Andysu

Major Contributor
i placed the headphones to the side of the camera phone to record stereo only when camera phone is horizontal is the stereo mode activated

Andysu

Major Contributor
let me see your VU meter

Andysu

Major Contributor
let me show my VU meter Behringer RX1202FX

Andysu

Major Contributor
let me see your moonfall VU meter

Andysu

Major Contributor
let me see your theatrical mix Die Hard VU meter

Andysu

Major Contributor
let me see your 'return of the jedi' VU meter oh that bass extension slam ! in THX !

Andysu

Major Contributor
let me see your 'wrath of khan' VU meters . the Dolby Cat 109 meter/filter card the VU meters are same used on one my CB radios or many of the uniden radios but mostly the classic Cobra 148GTL-DX or super star 360FM and these are CB radio meters in my CP200 as i had to replace all of them with imported form USA as the needles can jam-up get stuck and it has done well for a 1980 CP200 .

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Andysu

Major Contributor
let me see your modified CP200 with illuminated VU meters all CP200 never had the VU meter lit up even thou the bulbs are there just never connected on any of the 5 cinemas that i have seen a CP200 . the bulbs have mostly since blown i think its a over voltage snag ? as the VU on my CB radio , super star 360FM is only half illuminated . maybe why bulb has lasted over 40 years .

Andysu

Major Contributor
Dude, you must be James Bond
You have all the toys. :eek:
no some have cooler ones and i do like the needle VU meters but they can be fragile not to "bend the needle" . thou SPL meter often gets stuck and needs small tap and needle drops back down . the VU for the SPL meters are so common buy on ebay .

Andysu

Major Contributor
let me see your VU meter . i use the CP45 as standard stereo extension processor or matrix expansion for the surrounds . i no longer call my surrounds side as i can now play a movie with the original correct surround configuration of left-half right-half that hasn't been used in any home theatre . its been on my list of re-wire for a year as i got deeply depressed with so many classic Dolby Stereo titles playing in the wrong surround channel format . the back surrounds play the same signal of the surround channel . mostly home cinema calls it "side surround" a Dolby PLIIx thou okay can't it is still removing phantom sound image and shifting the bass away from the side and placing it on the back surrounds . i can still use that format if i wanted to . i didn't show the other CP45 where the other signal is being sent to but mainly the signal is wired onto main Sony SDDS D3000 and using the "system output" i wired onto the surround and connected to the 2nd Sony D3000 AUX 2 input . i use the main fader on the main D3000 or the Denon AVC-X8500H fader .

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do your subwoofers rattle all the china in that beautiful chest? LOL

Yes, not the china inside but the glass windows of the chest, but very rarely; one extreme example moment would be unusually high gain playback of this pipe organ track at 2 min 06-10 sec which is "sustaining sound" of about 32 37 Hz huge pipe...

WS001625 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom