• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

VU Meters: Let's See 'Em!!

Martin

IMO, those were the glory days of audio. Sure, it was all analog, but for your dollar you could buy something, almost anything, that performed exceptionally well, and was really nice to look at. Although I admit that loudspeakers are generally a lot better today, than what was sold back then.
My first system when I moved out on my own in 1977 was a Pioneer SX-650 and a pair of Cerwin-Vega 313. It sounded darned nice. I had a pair of Cerwin-Vega D9's with the SPEC system about 15 years ago. I only had the system for a couple of years, I was going through a vintage phase. The D9's did not sound as good as I remembered the 313's sounding. Probably nostalgia. I also owned a pair of Cerwin-Vega 12-TR's for a while in the late 1980's. See a trend? :)

Martin

Here is an interesting meter: The Stromtank. I think it's just a power conditioner of some sort.

View attachment 40101

Umm...that's not it. That's just the box. I know everyone wants to see the box it comes it. Below is the actual meter. I don't know what it measures, but it looks pretty cool. I guess.

View attachment 40102
Reminds me of Steely Dan's Aja.... just wow. She could sell me on whatever meter or box she has...