• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VU Meters: Let's See 'Em!!

PleasantSounds

After some searching I have found these:
_K5_2134.JPG

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but most Vu meters do not actually measure a volume unit... Most these days are referenced to full-scale output or similar. An actual Vu is a defined for specific conditions, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VU_meter At one time (long ago) I was making meter boxes for people who wanted them on their stereos, guitar amps, etc. and waded through the technical stuff to get it right, only to find out most people just wanted a pretty meter on their component.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I must admit I do like the top headphones. Just a shame the VU meters are for other peoples' viewing pleasure.

Yep, getting old.

EDIT: Thanks Amir, I was lurking for a while and found this thread, I thought it'd be the best way for an entrance!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Yup, always nice to Vu new members' contributions! :)

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Last edited:
I like that; "not loud until the needle bends". ...Funny put.

Do you remember how far on the scale you went?

Around the 200 watt mark, it was frigging LOUD. I only have a pair of 8ohm Aurum Cantus at the mo so I don't really go past 80 watts.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Around the 200 watt mark, it was frigging LOUD.
That's my test of whether you have enough amplification power. If you get scared before the equipment does, you do! :D

That's my test of whether you have enough amplification power. If you get scared before the equipment does, you do! :D

Tell me about it!

I was running them with a pair of Cerwin Vega VS150s when I had my setup back in the UK when I got to the 200 watt mark. I know they're not the most refined of speakers but they went low and loud, I'd play some Dubstep and Drum and Bass on purpose just to feel that bass, you could feel the whole house shake. 102dB sensitivity meant I could get to kidney failing levels without driving the amps too much. :)

I sold them to a friend before moving to Turkey and taking the amps with me, with the sole promise I'd get first dibs when he decided to sell them. He's still got them.

Top Bottom