• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VU Meters: Let's See 'Em!!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to Yamaki's VU "monitor" page;
https://www.yamaki-ec.co.jp/product_cat/vu-monitor/
"-D" represents digital AES 3-id BNC input (term-on 75 Ohm term-off 10 kOhm), "-A" represents analog balanced XLR input (term-on 600 Ohm, term-off 10 kOhm); each has through OUT BNC or XLR connector. At present, I do not know the inside details, but they should have some DA converter(s) in "-D" series, I believe.

> NB - Nishizawa replied to my email! They were very polite. Sadly, they do not make any VU meters now.
Thank you for your confirming with Nishizawa of the sad info I received from SUZUDES10. Time flies...

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I will soon get one full copy of the out-of-print old catalog book of Nishizawa Electric Meters Manufacturing Co., Ltd. containing the details of R-series meters including VU meter R-65. I will get back to you as soon as I would get it.

Hello friends,

SUZUDES10 very kindly sent me the memorial VU meter panels (plates) of NISHIZAWA R-series meters at the occasion of NISHIZAWA's final production together with the already out-of-print catalog book (VOL.2) of NISHIZAWA containing the details of R-series VU meters. You would please visit my post here on my project thread for the details.

I am happy sharing with you that NISHIZAWA R-65 VU meter plus ATV205EXT VU amp board is compatible with IEC 60268-17 VU meter specification/standard.

Last edited:

Holmz

Major Contributor
The SPL is at 70 dB(A) at the moment.
Once the needle gets above about -20 it is usually around 90dB(A).

3FDAF973-79EC-4133-AF38-A8B93ABE0981.jpeg

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Lost in the days after full album covers is perhaps the meaning of the title, "Red", King Crimson, heaviest album—here opened to view the back cover:

Red2.jpg

OK, it's not precisely a VU meter, but they made their point. My only VU meters these days are on the pro audio side, one each on a Focusrite mic pre and Klark Teknik compressor/limiter, and most on old gear, no longer used (18 VU meters between mixer, and 8-ch and two stereo tape decks).

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Lost in the days after full album covers is perhaps the meaning of the title, "Red", King Crimson, heaviest album—here opened to view the back cover:

View attachment 219822

OK, it's not precisely a VU meter, but they made their point. My only VU meters these days are on the pro audio side, one each on a Focusrite mic pre and Klark Teknik compressor/limiter, and most on old gear, no longer used (18 VU meters between mixer, and 8-ch and two stereo tape decks).
That meter (if it is indeed a real meter, not a mockup) is a bona fide level meter that's called a Peak Programme Meter. They are used mostly in Europe although when I was at Sound City, the studio A Neve console used them. In reality, they are more useful than a standard VU meter for keeping control of audio levels. I like them although they don't look as nice as a VU meter.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Plus non-analogue.... Foobar in the red on some random track.
IMG_20220901_220418.jpg

Peluvius

Forum Donor
IMG_9773.jpg

Sokel

Master Contributor
Plus non-analogue.... Foobar in the red on some random track. View attachment 228075
It's strange it goes to red,you can adjust them precisely with a know value (-10db sine wave for example) in the advanced properties under VU.
I don't know your exact ones but the adjustement is usually there.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Mine are backlit by LED now after the wee bulb on the right side blew... Essentially I got the amp free as I bought it with the preamp for £250, then sold the preamp for £350, and spent 69€ for an Ebay LED conversion.
Gotta love the old school analogue VUs.
Rock on Tommy!

Plus, they are now dimmable via tiny trim pot. Splendid.

Top Bottom