• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTV Purifi monoblock - which input buffer to choose?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I've decided to give the Purifi a chance and I will be ordering two VTV units. I'm not sure about the best choice for the input buffer. Go with the Purifi default or a different choice? Will it make any difference when fed from NAD C658 XLR output?

Thanks

https://vtvamplifier.com/product/ne...i-1et400a-module-and-vtv-custom-input-buffer/
Do you mean which opamp given the choices VTV lists? If so, it doesn’t matter. They will all measure just about the same, and there won’t be any perceptible sonic differences between them, so I would just go with whatever is the cheapest option. If you question is whether to choose what VTV calls “standard” Hypex buffers vs. the VTV custom buffers, I would not choose the Hypex buffers as they are intended for developmental purposes and are missing filtering that is necessary to suppress noises that can be picked up from cellphones, etc.

VTV also offers a unit based on the Purifi reference design EVAL1 board. Frankly, that would probably be your best bet as it is the cheapest and includes all the necessary filtering.

Last edited:

masterklee

I had the VTV with the standard Hypex buffers. I swapped that out with Neurochrome input buffers and I noticed significant improvements to the sound. I don't know what the other input buffers sound like but I am really happy with the Neurochome. It will be interesting to see Amir run his bench tests on the Neurochrome input buffers.

Top Bottom