• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTV Purifi Eval-1 build

OP
S
So far really happy with the VTV, it sounds exactly like the PA5 & Outlaw 2160 (thou without any AB hissing) which is to say neutral without any coloration of the original signal. The only issue is when turning on/off via the rocker switch* I get a slight click sound thru the speakers even with no input devices connected.

It's not a loud sound and it happens immediately after the relay click sound coming directly from the amp (or practically simultaneously). I have no concerns about speaker damage but none of my other amps (PA5, Outlaw, ATI, Monoprice, Denon) make any on/off sound thru the speakers.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

*no longer use the standby sw because the front panel lite was always on and now using the rocker sw - lite-on/amp-on; lite-off/amp-off.
Reach out to VTV, because I'm not experiencing any of the issues that you've experienced (e.g. standby distortion, power switch pop.) I've turned mine off & on several times before doing a little re-arranging of cables and haven't heard anything.

Did you post your inquiry on any of the DIY Eval-1 build threads here to see if anyone else has experienced this and if they were able to rectify?

SCG

Thanks for your feedback on not having the issue. Nothing has been had been posted on the DIY forums so I was checking if anyone with a VTV amp had the issue as it's either a VTV issue or a vendor component issue that will need to be resolved by VTV.

I've done enough testing to know it's not a upstream issue on my part and I need to contact VTV about supplying the 2 missing screws on the back panel so I'll also see what they say about this.

Speaking of feedback, I also came across this great technical write up from Bruno again from 2 years ago on his use of negative feedback in class D amps and forgot how good it was:

Last edited:

SCG

I have two VTV Purifi EVAL2 mono block amps. I had to send one back recently because when I would power it on, it would cause a horrible surge of distortion thru the speaker it was connected to. This started randomly and then was pretty consistent. Before I sent it back, it was throwing two surges in a row. I could see a light inside the amp flashing for each surge. Extremely loud to the point that it would freak me out every time and I thought the speaker may have been blown (luckily not the case). This was with no XLR connected and I could switch it over to the other speaker and the problem would still happen. I should be getting the amp back soon. I point this out because the distortion you get when toggling standby (I dont have a standby switch on mine) may be something worth sending the amp back for repairs.
Hi Zorlac, did you get your amp back yet, how long did it take, and is it fixed?

CJH

Just got a pair of the VTV monos with FE-3 input board (no 12v trigger). No problems at all. Been using a PA5 for over a year with LS50 Metas. The VTV monos do have a similar clean, neutral tonal balance with greater authority in the bass and midrange. I also feel the very highs are more linear on the monos (PA5 sounds just slightly rolled off). The PA5 has very low noise with black backgrounds and the Monos are even better. When listening to acapella chorus the individual voices are more easily distinguished. I did ask Warren to solder all four connections of the Neutrik 4LMP (+1, +2 and -1, -2) on the output. This allowed me to do the same with my 12AWG speaker cable giving me an effective 9AWG cord 4ft long. Happy so far.
CJH

Jim Creek

I just ordered and received my VTV Purifi Eigentakt. I ordered it on Thursday. Warren Coleman shipped it on the same day via UPS. I received it Saturday afternoon, 2 days after I ordered it. I live in Wisconsin. VTV is in Ohio. That was very good service by VTV.

After it was delivered I examined it thoroughly without opening the cover. I found the assembly of the case to be spot on, no missing screws or empty holes. It looks pretty spiffy. I listened to the Eigentakt for several hours and really love the sound. My subjective opinion is worthless, I know. But to me it sounds very detailed, transparent with a wider soundstage than my old amp.

This was my first experience with Neutrik SpeakON connectors. I love those things. Love the way they twist on with a satisfying click when seated.

Jim Creek

I’ve played my VTV Purifi Eigentakt Eval 1 everyday since July 8. I’ve had no issues, 30 days of perfect perfomance.

Reactions: SCG

SCG

Here's mine post mod

Attachments

• 20131005_115819.jpg
    20131005_115819.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 20131005_121036.jpg
    20131005_121036.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 94

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Jim Creek

The Eigentakt is the one I purchased and gave a brief review. The Eigentakt is the original amp designed by Bruno Putzeys that he used as a demo to allow reviewers to hear and evaluate. I actually recommend to NOT purchase the special model that offers a choice of buffers. It’s more expensive. Plus it is a modification of Bruno Putzeys original design.

The Eigentakt is a great amp. It never gets warmer than my body temperature. VTV was a breeze to buy from, two day delivery. Almost 4 months of playing on a daily baisis with no issues.

Bassman999

The Eigentakt is the one I purchased and gave a brief review. The Eigentakt is the original amp designed by Bruno Putzeys that he used as a demo to allow reviewers to hear and evaluate. I actually recommend to NOT purchase the special model that offers a choice of buffers. It’s more expensive. Plus it is a modification of Bruno Putzeys original design.

The Eigentakt is a great amp. It never gets warmer than my body temperature. VTV was a breeze to buy from, two day delivery. Almost 4 months of playing on a daily baisis with no issues.
I wanted build an amp and thats where this began for me.
Looked at many different ones Initially the ICEpower 1200 thinking it was really 1200/channel.
Finding it was a 2 channel with a single psu used on the mono was disappointing.
Videos comparting them pushed me to the Purifi.
Finding out its cheaper to buy a built amp is sad, as it means there are companies taking advantage of the DIY community.

With all that said, I am hoping this has enough real power output.
I have a Class D Crest amp CD2000, that weighs 35lbs, so not sure how powerful a 9lb amp can be.
This would be replacing my Yamaha MX-830 I bought when I was like 18 so its 32 yrs old...

Anyway I have tinnitus from years of loud music and/or an inner ear condition, so Im not sure if I need an amp o=f this level as I might not be able to tell the difference from the ICEpower
Not to mention I dont have any $3k speakers to run on it.
I have sold all my speakers and have only ones I have built now.
Actually going top build a set from a kit for the 1st time for fun HIVI Swans 2.2a from Amazon for $250. Not expecting much but will be fun to build since no wood to cut this time. I live in an apt now so sold most of my wood tools.

Jim Creek

I believe it's the 1st listed. The 2nd has choice of buffers.
The first link is to the VTV Eigentakt Eval 1. That is the one that I bought for $999. I can recommend it after using mine for 6 months.

As a side note, it is weird that you can buy a fully assembled amp for less money than a DIY project from parts.

Top Bottom