• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTV Purifi Amplifier Review with Weiss Buffer

acetogen

Thanks for the review. Generally bad workmanship portends poorly for future performance. It looks like all their amps have the same power switch. Why are they labeled for both 110/220V if there is no voltage selector?

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why are they labeled for both 110/220V if there is no voltage selector?
Many if not most switching power supplies are universal. They will run on anything above about 50volts. The trigger unit however is a bit more worrisome. One assumes it is also capable of working across a wide voltage range. Very low power devices like this may just employ a capacitor dropper and a very simple regulator, making them pretty universal as well.
It is transformer based power supplies that need selector switches and a smaller number of switching supplies.

RDSChicago

So make this easy for me. Which Purifi amp should one purchase In terms of quality and bang for the buck if in USA and don’t have the skill to build one?

acetogen

So make this easy for me. Which Purifi amp should one purchase In terms of quality and bang for the buck if in USA and don’t have the skill to build one?
I thought someone on this thread recommended the newer Purify on EVAL-1. They have a monoblock and stereo versions. As for the quality what is needed is for larger companies to pick up the technology, which might be already happening.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the US I suppose in terms of cost the VTV Eval 1 (if he even still makes it) would be the least expensive. As for the quality that's another matter-I have his Eval 1 and it sounds great but... I'm sure there are others putting them together but will be more expensive. Just wish Buckeye could get a supply of Eval 1 boards...

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Cheapest is VTV Purifi EVAL-1 for I believe $1069 plus sales tax. You need to search here though and see what you can find out about build quality.

After that, I personally would recommend Audiophonics HPA-S400ET. It will cost about $1500 including shipping and PayPal/credit card EUR to USD conversion charge. My Audiophonics unit got to me in 8-9 days from overseas and that was during the height of the pandemic.

RDSChicago

Is the NAD C298 more of a sure thing in terms of quality based on their larger infrastructure etc.? Let’s say you can get one for around 20% off or $1,600?
In the US I suppose in terms of cost the VTV Eval 1 (if he even still makes it) would be the least expensive. As for the quality that's another matter-I have his Eval 1 and it sounds great but... I'm sure there are others putting them together but will be more expensive. Just wish Buckeye could get a supply of Eval 1 boards...

amper42

Major Contributor
It's possible the NAD C298 may also measure inferior to the stock Purifi Eigentakt. You could buy it and send it in to amir for testing. :D

acetogen

It's possible the NAD C298 may also measure inferior to the stock Purifi Eigentakt. You could buy it and send it in to amir for testing. :D
You beat me to the suggestion, but yes, by the time that you include the shipping and the manufacturer located in Europe, you might as well go with the NAD over the Audiophonics.

RDSChicago

I was intrigued that VTV now makes the Purifi Eigentakt amplifier based on EVAL-1 which doesn’t have some of the op amps which many complain about so pulled the trigger on one of those for what seems to be a reasonable price. I’ll report back when I receive it and have a listen. Good choice?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was intrigued that VTV now makes the Purifi Eigentakt amplifier based on EVAL-1 which doesn’t have some of the op amps which many complain about so pulled the trigger on one of those for what seems to be a reasonable price. I’ll report back when I receive it and have a listen. Good choice?
Send to Amir for testing!

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Will do after I listen for a bit. Amir, are you interested?
Click on his name and Start a Conversation to organize. I hope you both can make it happen!

RDSChicago

Very impressed with the VTV Eigentakt! Going direct balanced out from Lumin into amp using Lumin volume control with Leedh. Very clean. Tried a preamp and I prefer direct! Highly recommended.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very impressed with the VTV Eigentakt! Going direct balanced out from Lumin into amp using Lumin volume control with Leedh. Very clean. Tried a preamp and I prefer direct! Highly recommended.

Would you mind posting some photos? I am trying to figure out if I should get the Eigentakt or the "regular" one, price difference is $30 but I am more concerned about the difference between the Eigentkt/Eval1 demo kit and the regulare one, is it just the input buffer is difference or something else? The website photo show a weird looking binding posts on the Eigentakt too.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you mind posting some photos? I am trying to figure out if I should get the Eigentakt or the "regular" one, price difference is $30 but I am more concerned about the difference between the Eigentkt/Eval1 demo kit and the regulare one, is it just the input buffer is difference or something else? The website photo show a weird looking binding posts on the Eigentakt too.
Those banana jacks are built into the EVAL1 board.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Those banana jacks are built into the EVAL1 board.

Thank you, I guess I would go with their "stock hypex buffer" then, hopefully it should perform the same if those Hypex bufffer uses good OPAs, any idea which OPA the Hypex buffer are based on.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many if not most switching power supplies are universal. They will run on anything above about 50volts. The trigger unit however is a bit more worrisome. One assumes it is also capable of working across a wide voltage range. Very low power devices like this may just employ a capacitor dropper and a very simple regulator, making them pretty universal as well.
It is transformer based power supplies that need selector switches and a smaller number of switching supplies.
If they are using the SMPS 1200 A 400 by Hypex, then it has an internal jumper to switch it from 115 to 220 VRMS.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you, I guess I would go with their "stock hypex buffer" then, hopefully it should perform the same if those Hypex bufffer uses good OPAs, any idea which OPA the Hypex buffer are based on.
The stock Hypex buffer is not appropriate to use in a commercial product as it does not have the requisite filtering to protect from random noises picked up from cellphones, etc. I would go with the EVAL1 unit. It is essentially the same as the Purifi evaluation units that have been tested by a few reviewers, including Amir.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-purifi-1et400a-amplifier.7984/

Top Bottom