• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTV Purifi Amplifier Review with Weiss Buffer

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The stock Hypex buffer is not appropriate to use in a commercial product as it does not have the requisite filtering to protect from random noises picked up from cellphones, etc. I would go with the EVAL1 unit. It is essentially the same as the Purifi evaluation units that have been tested by a few reviewers, including Amir.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...easurements-of-purifi-1et400a-amplifier.7984/

I was considering it until I saw the speaker connections that looked weirds. Those seems to be for banana plugs only? Is there any links to a credible source on the "stock Hypex buffer is not appropriate to use......"? Thank you.

According to VTV, that's the way it came with the Eval1, wonder why ASR's reviewed unit has the standard 3 way binding posts.

1631635503932.png

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was considering it until I saw the speaker connections that looked weirds. Those seems to be for banana plugs only? Is there any links to a credible source on the "stock Hypex buffer is not appropriate to use......"? Thank you.

According to VTV, that's the way it came with the Eval1, wonder why ASR's reviewed unit has the standard 3 way binding posts.

View attachment 153336
The unit Amir reviewed was a preproduction unit. All of the EVAL1 boards being sold today have those banana connectors.

I am sure that VTV could replace the banana jacks on the EVAL1 with standard binding posts if you wish.

As for the problems with the developmental Hypex buffer, do a search on this forum. All the info is here. In short, don’t buy a unit that uses the Hypex buffer. It’s meant for development use only and does not have the necessary filtering to be used in commercial products.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 153336
Use the SpeakOns.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The unit Amir reviewed was a preproduction unit. All of the EVAL1 boards being sold today have those banana connectors.

I am sure that VTV could replace the banana jacks on the EVAL1 with standard binding posts if you wish.

As for the problems with the developmental Hypex buffer, do a search on this forum. All the info is here. In short, don’t buy a unit that uses the Hypex buffer. It’s meant for development use only and does not have the necessary filtering to be used in commercial products.
The VTV Eval 1 doesn't use that Hypex buffer does it?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks again for the quick response. I did email Warren about the option to replace the plug type and he said no, they were fixed on the board. It should be easy to do a DIY mod but with the added cost and voiding the warranty, my preference would be to go with the regular model that has the default buffer. Unfortunately the only choice for the default buffer is the Hypex one.

I did do a search (as I typically would do before bothering others) and I cannot find any objective based talks on why the Hypex buffer is not appropriate for commercial use, except a few posts by March audio such as the one linked below:

(3) Difference between different Hypex NCore models and input buffers? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

He was referring to the Hypex evaluation board, I am not sure VTV's offering of the what they called "Stock Hypex Factory Buffer" is the same.

VTV AMPLIFIER Stereo Purifi Audio 1ET400A Amplifier | VTV Amplifier

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks again for the quick response. I did email Warren about the option to replace the plug type and he said no, they were fixed on the board. It should be easy to do a DIY mod but with the added cost and voiding the warranty, my preference would be to go with the regular model that has the default buffer. Unfortunately the only choice for the default buffer is the Hypex one.

I did do a search (as I typically would do before bothering others) and I cannot find any objective based talks on why the Hypex buffer is not appropriate for commercial use, except a few posts by March audio such as the one linked below:

(3) Difference between different Hypex NCore models and input buffers? | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

He was referring to the Hypex evaluation board, I am not sure VTV's offering of the what they called "Stock Hypex Factory Buffer" is the same.

VTV AMPLIFIER Stereo Purifi Audio 1ET400A Amplifier | VTV Amplifier
VTV now offers Purifi amplifers with the Purifi Eval buffer boards. I'd go with those instead of the Hypex buffer ones.
https://vtvamplifier.com/product/vtv-amplifier-purifi-eigentakt-stereo-amplifier-based-on-eval-1/

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That one is clear, it has the Purifi buffer.
Then your only objection is using the banana plugs or SpeakOns?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then your only objection is using the banana plugs or SpeakOns?

Yes, for me that's my only objection. For others who believe in "subjective measurements", there may be another negative about the Eval1/Eigentakt version, that is, you cannot swap input buffer easily if you wanted to try a different one. That's not an issue for me because I do not believe in those claims of different sound signature between different OPAs that have specs that indicate transparency. Those that do should be reflected in the audio/electrical specs, such as FR, THD etc.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Actually another negative about the Eval1/Eigentakt is that you cannot swap input buffer easily if you wanted to try a different one. That's not an issue for me because I do not believe in those claims of different sound signature between different OPAs that have specs that indicate transparency. Those that do should be reflected in the audio/electrical specs, such as FR, THD etc.
I don't use the SpeakOns but many like them for their secure fit.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't use the SpeakOns but many like them for their secure fit.

But I thought you have the VTV, and the Eigentakt board that VTV told me cannot be replaced with the regular binding posts. So if you don't use SpeakOns, how do you get around them, you did a mod?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The VTV Eval 1 doesn't use that Hypex buffer does it?
No, it uses the board that comes with the EVAL1 package.

The VTV EVAL1-based amplifier is pretty much the same thing as the Purifi evaluation until measured by Amir and others. The only notable differences are no control cable from the front light/switch to the board and an EMI/RFI filter on the mains inlet. There are more minor differences including different cabling from the power supply to the buffer board and 5-way binding posts vs. Deltron banana sockets, but those probably will not make measurable or audible differences.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But I thought you have the VTV, and the Eigentakt board that VTV told me cannot be replaced with the regular binding posts. So if you don't use SpeakOns, how do you get around them, you did a mod?
Oh, you COULD de-solder the Deltron connectors and replace them with chassis-mounted 5-way binding posts. I guess VTV just doesn’t want to.

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, for me that's my only objection. For others who believe in "subjective measurements", there may be another negative about the Eval1/Eigentakt version, that is, you cannot swap input buffer easily if you wanted to try a different one. That's not an issue for me because I do not believe in those claims of different sound signature between different OPAs that have specs that indicate transparency. Those that do should be reflected in the audio/electrical specs, such as FR, THD etc.

You could also just switch speaker cables (or reterminate the amplifier end of your current speaker cables) with bananas or Speakons. Personally, I find spades to be a PITA and all of my speaker connections are bananas.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use banana plugs.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My amp has 5-way (or whatever) binding posts, but I use banana plugs anyway. Over the years I've used bare twisted wire, spade lugs, etc, but I find that banana plugs are the most convenient.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I just found what you need on Amazon:

CESS-062 Spade Fork Plug to Banana Plugs Speaker Cable Adapter, 4 Pack (about $12 for four):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0828V8FFQ

Cardas also makes something similar but they are significantly more expensive, although a lot prettier ($72 for four):

https://www.moon-audio.com/cardas-cabd-banana-plugs.html

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My amp has 5-way (or whatever) binding posts, but I use banana plugs anyway. Over the years I've used bare twisted wire, spade lugs, etc, but I find that banana plugs are the most convenient.

I also use banana plugs in some cases. It is just a preference, that I like the flexibility of the binding posts.

Top Bottom