• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTV Purifi 1ET400A updates

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just managed to listen to it for the first time, I have listed my first impressions below. Big caveat here is that I plugged it in to my Macbook's headphone out because I do not have a DAC just yet (coming next week), and I am using Klipsch R820 floorstanders as I wait for the RP8000Fs to come back in stock (the R820s were kindly loaned to me by the audio store as I wait). My previous system (3 years ago) comprised of a pair of Klipsch synergy floorstanders with 2x 8" woofers (similar to the R820s that I temporarily have at home now), and a Yamaha AX 596 2x120W RMS at 8 Ohms.
  • Very good bass and bass control, more than enough bass to shake all the walls and seriously piss off the neighbours. I turned it up to a ridiculous level and there was no distortion whatsoever (not from the amp, not from the speakers), definitely more bass control and 'grip' over the woofers with the Purifi vs. my previous Yamaha amp
  • With nothing connected to the XLR input there is virtually no hiss coming from the tweeters (can be heard up to maybe 10cm from the horn loaded tweeter) - I used to be able to hear the hiss from my listening position with my previous system
I need to spend more time listing to be able to say a lot more, but the sound is very detailed and clean, with a strong and controlled bass when upping the EQ to test it out! Very happy so far, can't wait for my DAC & RP8000Fs!
So what DAC do you have coming?

chifanpoe

Forum Donor
It looks like the EVAL-1 unit I ordered shows up sometime tomorrow or so says UPS.

Mine will be replacing a Crown XLS 1502 amp.

My digital chain is a Topping D90 being fed from CD/SACD through IIS or Amazon HD through USB or BT. Analog chain is a Schiit Sol TT with a Nagaoko MP200 cartridge going to a Simaudio Moon 110lp v2 phono pre-amp. The Topping and Simaudio feed into a Khozmo Passive Pre-amp.

These feed Magnepan LRS speakers and 2 REL subs.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow as well.

312elements

312elements

I received two e-mails one from them and one from Paypal with the tracking number. Original order was on January 2nd.

cool! Looks like I’m a few days behind you then. I ordered on the 6th. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts. I’m not good at this waiting thing.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks like the EVAL-1 unit I ordered shows up sometime tomorrow or so says UPS.

Mine will be replacing a Crown XLS 1502 amp.

My digital chain is a Topping D90 being fed from CD/SACD through IIS or Amazon HD through USB or BT. Analog chain is a Schiit Sol TT with a Nagaoko MP200 cartridge going to a Simaudio Moon 110lp v2 phono pre-amp. The Topping and Simaudio feed into a Khozmo Passive Pre-amp.

These feed Magnepan LRS speakers and 2 REL subs.
Nice set-up. Should power those Maggie's with ease.

Aardappel

So what DAC do you have coming?
I ended up going for the SMSL SU-9! Pretty good review came online today as well which is always good.

Some other things I can note after some more listening today:
  • The unit does not stay ice cold - It doesn't get hot at all either but it does warm up ever so slightly (amirm mentioned in his review that the unit does not go over room temperature, in my opinion it is slightly above room temperature and if I am not mistaken the temperature rises ever so slightly when not playing any music).
  • The gain is quite high - on my 2012 Macbook Air at the lowest volume level the volume coming from the (sensitive) speakers is certainly not very low (nearly too loud for late night listening). At 1/3rd or 1/2 of the max volume of the Macbook the output is already at an uncomfortable/ridiculous level. It will be interesting when I use the XLR out of the SU-9 given that the output Voltage of that DAC goes up to nearly 5V RMS, so most likely I will need to either add an inline attenuator or bypass the buffer (however this would mean that the EMI/RFI filter on the EVAL1 buffer gets by-passed as well).
  • With regards to the EMI/RFI filter that VTV added to the amp - and with regards to the EMI/RFI filter built in to the EVAL1 unit - I can confirm that I definitely do not hear any interference or distortion whatsoever, and I am currently using cheap XLR/RCA adapters and a $3 RCA/3.5mm cable until my DAC arrives. The amp is within a meter of my wifi router, TV and other devices. I even tested it with my phone - absolutely no distortion.
@chifanpoe , @Rottmannash & @312elements - very much looking forward to your observations when your units arrive!!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ended up going for the SMSL SU-9! Pretty good review came online today as well which is always good.

• The unit does not stay ice cold - It doesn't get hot at all either but it does warm up ever so slightly (amirm mentioned in his review that the unit does not go over room temperature, in my opinion it is slightly above room temperature and if I am not mistaken the temperature rises ever so slightly when not playing any music).
  • The gain is quite high - on my 2012 Macbook Air at the lowest volume level the volume coming from the (sensitive) speakers is certainly not very low (nearly too loud for late night listening). At 1/3rd or 1/2 of the max volume of the Macbook the output is already at an uncomfortable/ridiculous level. It will be interesting when I use the XLR out of the SU-9 given that the output Voltage of that DAC goes up to nearly 5V RMS, so most likely I will need to either add an inline attenuator or bypass the buffer (however this would mean that the EMI/RFI filter on the EVAL1 buffer gets by-passed as well).
  • With regards to the EMI/RFI filter that VTV added to the amp - and with regards to the EMI/RFI filter built in to the EVAL1 unit - I can confirm that I definitely do not hear any interference or distortion whatsoever, and I am currently using cheap XLR/RCA adapters and a $3 RCA/3.5mm cable until my DAC arrives. The amp is within a meter of my wifi router, TV and other devices. I even tested it with my phone - absolutely no distortion.
@chifanpoe , @Rottmannash & @312elements - very much looking forward to your observations when your units arrive!!
I believe one can select from 2 gain levels by changing a jumper. Not sure tho.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Seems like I read this is typical and normal for Class D amps- the build up of heat at idle.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How are our amps configured?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

chifanpoe

Forum Donor
I received mine early this afternoon, it was packaged well to protect against any mishandling. As @Aardappel already showed and talked about the case is very nice.

I have about 4 hours of listening through it now with both digital and analog sources. Very impressed. How does it stacks up against my Crown XLS 1502 that replaces it? Much better highs, less rolled off, crystal clear is the best words I can use. The mids are more clear. Bass is the same. The noise floor is certainly lower.

The crown does have more power as expected. The same music that I had my pre-amp set to "25" now needs to be at "29-30" to get to 79-80db from my listening position. The AMP does not got hot or even really warm.

As far as, "Was it worth the upgrade"? The Crown XLS was a great deal for the ~$365 I paid for it. So for an additional $614 was it worth it? I think so. I guess the best way to put it was the Crown got me 85% of the way to what I would consider amazing. This put my system up to 99% amazing. To be honest I am not sure what would put it too 100%, maybe better mastering's of all my favorite songs?

Very impressed with the Purifi tech and the build quality vs cost of this VTV amp.

Last edited:

312elements

I received mine early this afternoon, it was packaged well to protect against any mishandling. As @Aardappel already showed and talked about the case is very nice.

I have about 4 hours of listening through it now with both digital and analog sources. Very impressed. How does it stacks up against my Crown XLS 1502 that replaces it? Much better highs, less rolled off, crystal clear is the best words I can use. The mids are more clear. Bass is the same. The noise floor is certainly lower.

The crown does have more power as expected. The same music that I had my pre-amp set to "25" now needs to be at "29-30" to get to 79-80db from my listening position. The AMP does not got hot or even really warm.

As far as, "Was it worth the upgrade"? The Crown XLS was a great deal for the ~$365 I paid for it. So for an additional $614 was it worth it? I think so. I guess the best way to put it was the Crown got me 85% of the way to what I would consider amazing. This put my system up to 99% amazing. To be honest I am not sure what would put it too 100%, maybe better mastering's of all my favorite songs?

Very impressed with the Purifi tech and the build quality vs cost of this VTV amp.

That’s awesome to hear. I’ve got DIY subs that I power with a crown xls, but it didn’t really occur to me to use it for loudspeakers. I like that the VTV is fanless. I have some older behringer amps on sub duty as well (lots of bass in my theater setup) and their fans are way worse than crown fans.

I’m glad to hear you think it’s worth it, but I kind of expected there to be more of a difference in sound given all the praise they have received. Let us know if you notice anything else.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just received mine and ask i can say is Wow! Very low noise floor, prodigious power and very cool running. Can't imagine a Class D amp needing a fan. Running through Node 2i > Topping E30> Onkyo RZ 810 (expecting my Freya+ Wednesday)>VTV > Revel F208's.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

After reading Amir's review of your Crown amp I can't imagine why you feel the VTV isn't sonically superior. The specs aren't even close. I know we don't listen to specs but they are indicative of performance.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Another question: How do you know the Crown outputs more power? Possibly more power but probably not more clean, undistorted power. I'm not sure most speakers (or certainly eardrums) can utilize in excess of 150 watts of power except during very brief transients. Most are surprised how little power is being delivered to their speakers even when listening at extremely loud volumes.

Top Bottom