• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTV Purifi 1ET400A updates

Roger285

Isn't this amp (the new EVAL1 version) an Eigentakt?
I'm wondering if it's reasonable to assume that this new amp should approach the performance of the Purifi that Amir measured?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm wondering if it's reasonable to assume that this new amp should approach the performance of the Purifi that Amir measured?

Manufacturer: Purifi.
Series: Eigentakt.
Amplifier module code: 1ET400A.
Buffer board code: EVAL-1.

Yes, this is the same as the EVAL-1 that both Amir and SoundStage! have measured, but in an Ghent case instead.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Manufacturer: Purifi.
Series: Eigentakt.
Amplifier module code: 1ET400A.
Buffer board code: EVAL-1.

Yes, this is the same as the EVAL-1 that both Amir and SoundStage! have measured, but in an Ghent case instead.
Ordered one yesterday. Should be here in a couple weeks. Said he was waiting on a shipment of modules.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It should measure almost exactly the same, allowing for Purifi board production variations.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know if Ghent has plans for an Eval-2 case? Some people might want monoblocks, or a single channel (for a center channel amp, etc.)

Last edited:

Aardappel

Just out of curiosity - given that Bruno and others have indicated that IEC filtering (EMI/RFI) at the unit using Y-Capacitors is not a good idea: what would happen if you were to plug the EMI/RFI filtered unit into a powerboard that is surge/overload protected and also RMI/RFI filtered (using Y-Caps)? Bruno has mentioned that any filtering (with Y-Caps) is okay as long as it is away from the unit. Would this solve any potential issues or make things worse?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just out of curiosity - given that Bruno and others have indicated that IEC filtering (EMI/RFI) at the unit using Y-Capacitors is not a good idea: what would happen if you were to plug the EMI/RFI filtered unit into a powerboard that is surge/overload protected and also RMI/RFI filtered (using Y-Caps)? Bruno has mentioned that any filtering (with Y-Caps) is okay as long as it is away from the unit. Would this solve any potential issues or make things worse?
You can see the IEC line filter in the pictures of the interior of the VTV amps. Not sure if it uses y-capacitors but my understanding is that they are commonly used as EMI/RFI filters and as safety capacitors, as are x-capacitors. Best to ask VTV directly if that’s the case. They are using Delta EMI/RFI filters. I’m not sure which one.

https://www.deltaww.com/en-US/products/IEC-Inlet-Filter/ALL/

Last edited:

Aardappel

My VTV EVAL1 amp arrived today, really impressed with the VTV modified Ghent case! Feels very sturdy, thick heavy aluminium. Love the Neutrik connectors in the back as well. The amp was packaged and protected very well. Unfortunately I cannot test it as my DAC hasn't arrived yet :facepalm:

For those potentially interested in Australia - the amp was shipped with UPS and went straight through customs (strangely), which saved me a few hundred AU$!

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-06 at 2.48.07 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-06 at 2.48.08 PM.jpeg

312elements

@Aardappel how does it sound and what did it replace? Anything good or bad worth noting?

chifanpoe

Forum Donor
My VTV EVAL1 amp arrived today, really impressed with the VTV modified Ghent case! Feels very sturdy, thick heavy aluminium. Love the Neutrik connectors in the back as well. The amp was packaged and protected very well. Unfortunately I cannot test it as my DAC hasn't arrived yet :facepalm:

For those potentially interested in Australia - the amp was shipped with UPS and went straight through customs (strangely), which saved me a few hundred AU$!

View attachment 104073

View attachment 104074
Looks great, thank you for sharing.

Aardappel

@Aardappel how does it sound and what did it replace? Anything good or bad worth noting?
I will be able to give it a listen this weekend but not with a proper DAC, not with a balanced connection, and not with the speakers that I would like haha. But I will post my findings.

The only 'bad' thing that I can note is that, based off the photos on the VTV website, it looks like the speakON connection is not wired for a 4-pole connection as the original Purifi evaluation amps. That is just a little bit of a pity as Purifi themselves state the below:

Nearly all binding posts and/or banana plugs available we found to be magnetic and added measurable hysteric distortion. The cheapest plastic speakON passed the test. It seems that Benchmark Media Systems came to the same conclusion with their very low distortion AHB2 amplifier.

Moreover, we run biwiring through the crossover filter to the speaker box. Using the four-pole speakON, we can join the branches right at the amplifier’s sense point, where the output impedance is extremely low. This effectively blocks leakage of distortion products between the drivers. This makes biwiring actually work.

Source: https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/opinion/1420-purifi-audios-pint-sized-powerhouses

You can still correctly and effectively bi-wire the VTV amp though, just need to use the silver plated banana plug out terminals and make sure that you do not use a magnetic/ferrous banana plug, which are very hard to find! In fact, does anybody here know where I can purchase an affordable true pure copper banana plug, not ones that fail the test like these?

Edit: it now looks like VTV upped the price by $20 by the way

chifanpoe

Forum Donor
I will be able to give it a listen this weekend but not with a proper DAC, not with a balanced connection, and not with the speakers that I would like haha. But I will post my findings.

The only 'bad' thing that I can note is that, based off the photos on the VTV website, it looks like the speakON connection is not wired for a 4-pole connection as the original Purifi evaluation amps. That is just a little bit of a pity as Purifi themselves state the below:

Nearly all binding posts and/or banana plugs available we found to be magnetic and added measurable hysteric distortion. The cheapest plastic speakON passed the test. It seems that Benchmark Media Systems came to the same conclusion with their very low distortion AHB2 amplifier.

Moreover, we run biwiring through the crossover filter to the speaker box. Using the four-pole speakON, we can join the branches right at the amplifier’s sense point, where the output impedance is extremely low. This effectively blocks leakage of distortion products between the drivers. This makes biwiring actually work.

Source: https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/opinion/1420-purifi-audios-pint-sized-powerhouses

You can still correctly and effectively bi-wire the VTV amp though, just need to use the silver plated banana plug out terminals and make sure that you do not use a magnetic/ferrous banana plug, which are very hard to find! In fact, does anybody here know where I can purchase an affordable true pure copper banana plug, not ones that fail the test like these?

Interesting find on the speakON. I will be using the speakON connections to send info to my stereo REL subs and banana connectors to my LRS so I don't think that will affect me. I have Viborg VB401 banana connectors that are pure cooper and pass the magnet test if that helps.

Update, it looks like they are still on Amazon US site. Cardas also makes banana plugs that are not magnet and can accept spades as well. CABD doubles as they call them.

I just got my tracking number so it looks like VTV got more units in.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm confused-I read that review and noted that reference is related to the speaker and crossover he was reviewing along with the Purifi amp. What does that have to do with the Eval 1 amp?

Aardappel

I'm confused-I read that review and noted that reference is related to the speaker and crossover he was reviewing along with the Purifi amp. What does that have to do with the Eval 1 amp?
The comment he makes on biwiring applies not just to the Purifi speaker, it applies to any speaker that is biwireable. His point is that the 4-pole speakON connector is joined at the amp where the impedance is at its lowest. This would not be possible with the VTV amp as only the 1+ and 1- speakON connector are soldered/connected, and not the 2+ and 2-.

As I mentioned though you can still biwire using the Speakon and the banana plug output, if you want to.

koko

View attachment 104073

View attachment 104074
Can you please confirm the dimensions of the case? I’m considering this amp for a desktop setup.

Aardappel

Can you please confirm the dimensions of the case? I’m considering this amp for a desktop setup.
Sure, the dimensions on the VTV & Ghent audio website are nearly correct, except its a bit taller than 3 inches if you also count the aluminium feet. The height is 9 cm, 10 inches wide and 13 inches deep (excl. all connectors).

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The comment he makes on biwiring applies not just to the Purifi speaker, it applies to any speaker that is biwireable. His point is that the 4-pole speakON connector is joined at the amp where the impedance is at its lowest. This would not be possible with the VTV amp as only the 1+ and 1- speakON connector are soldered/connected, and not the 2+ and 2-.

As I mentioned though you can still biwire using the Speakon and the banana plug output, if you want to.
Thanks for the clarification.

Aardappel

Just managed to listen to it for the first time, I have listed my first impressions below. Big caveat here is that I plugged it in to my Macbook's headphone out because I do not have a DAC just yet (coming next week), and I am using Klipsch R820 floorstanders as I wait for the RP8000Fs to come back in stock (the R820s were kindly loaned to me by the audio store as I wait). My previous system (3 years ago) comprised of a pair of Klipsch synergy floorstanders with 2x 8" woofers (similar to the R820s that I temporarily have at home now), and a Yamaha AX 596 2x120W RMS at 8 Ohms.
  • Very good bass and bass control, more than enough bass to shake all the walls and seriously piss off the neighbours. I turned it up to a ridiculous level and there was no distortion whatsoever (not from the amp, not from the speakers), definitely more bass control and 'grip' over the woofers with the Purifi vs. my previous Yamaha amp
  • With nothing connected to the XLR input there is virtually no hiss coming from the tweeters (can be heard up to maybe 10cm from the horn loaded tweeter) - I used to be able to hear the hiss from my listening position with my previous system
I need to spend more time listing to be able to say a lot more, but the sound is very detailed and clean, with a strong and controlled bass when upping the EQ to test it out! Very happy so far, can't wait for my DAC & RP8000Fs!

Top Bottom