• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTV Hypex NC1200 Tear Down and Recommendation

C. Cook

Figured I'd put up a post on the matter after exchanging pics with another member. Bought the VTV Hypex NC1200 build using on-board buffers before Christmas and just had the chance to take the lid off and get some pics this evening. As always, if this goes against any forum rules, please let me know and I'll do what's necessary to comply. Not sure if this counts as a plug for this product or whether plugs are allowed. Couple of notes in no particular order...

* I didn't know this prior, but it looks like the NC1200s have the buffer on the same board, unlike the NC400s and 500s which require a second (Hypex stock or custom) buffer board. Here I opted for stock rather than any fancy op-amps (unsure what was even on offer in that regard) because I've got a lot of experience with the NC500s w/ stock everything and they sounded just fine. No 'house' sound to speak of. Just flat and clean.

* This amp tends to heat up A LOT on the bottom in the back on each side, so it would appear that it's the n-core modules that are responsible and not the big 3-channel-capable SMPS. In the past using NC500s it's been the SMPS that generates the most heat and it the larger XFMR seems to be the primary source, pun intended. I did purchase a set of 4 box fans to place underneath and wired up a little control knob to keep it cool because the temps were getting up to about 130-150F. That's a lot hotter than NC500s run in my experience. The fans aren't audible since I've got the amp in an enclosed built-in cabinet under the TV, which also contributes to heat build up over time. I drilled holes in the wood for all the various wires that go in and out, primarily to keep the aesthetics to my wife's liking.

* As far as sound goes, the thing is a beast. I'm particularly impressed by the dynamics coupled with the JBL speakers I'm using. Even at very low volume, most of the dynamics and details are still there. It can go from VERY soft to VERY loud in the same track and I hear no distortion at discotheque levels. I've also created an EQ setting on the RME ADI-2 v.2 for stereo home theater where I've boosted the bass and adjusted the midrange according to Amir's T&M report on the JBLs. No subwoofer needed, it's that good. I'm not sure what the general ASR consensus on damping factor is, or whether an 'official' test has been done on NC1200s, but it's gotta be very high. Extremely good control of the woofers. As cliche as it may be, it's a blast cueing up some old favorites and hearing new life breathed into them - at all volume levels. It's amazing what high power can do even if we only use the first few watts in most listening. It doesn't hurt that the speakers are very efficient. The closest thing I've heard in my own (admittedly limited) listening in terms of raw power is the IcePower 1200AS2, which I think might have more distortion than the Hypex. Both can rock the house with ease. NC500s are great, NC1200s are a real step up. I had a very nice Krell for a number of years that I never thought I'd part with, but after listening side by side with the NC500 build I decided to sell it. This ups the bar even further.

* Build quality is good by me. The XLR input lead cables use what looks like an extra layer of shielding which has been soldered to the back of the cabinet. In my past experience, these signal cables only used the 3 pins on the back of the XLR connector, but here there are 4 'conductors' including the extra (?) shielding. EDIT: I was wrong and after inspecting more closely it looks like the cables have the normal shielding which is soldered to the cabinet. For what looks like Pin 2 on the back of the XLR inputs, that too is soldered to the case. I'm going to do some more research on this.

I suppose the speaker leads could've been twisted a bit more tightly, but the wires he used are very nice and I doubt it makes a bit of difference in my application. He's using a standard Ghent Audio case, which are among the highest quality pre-fab cases you can get, and the front plate is customized with the VTV logo in the center as we've seen on their other amps. All the soldering is about as good as I tend to do myself, so no complaints there.

All in all, I'd definitely recommend this particular amp configuration from VTV, especially at the price - and I'm sure it measures very well.

P.S. I also recently acquired a Nord Acoustics Nord Three SE Purifi-based integrated which I'll take apart and post separately. I'm using that one in a smaller office setting and it sounds great too and is highly recommended if you can get a decent price.

Attached are some internal pictures which I've taken no particular care in framing or making look pretty (for example, the dust particles come right off with compressed air).

Attachments

• 20220110_180830.jpg
    20220110_180830.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 1,209
  • 20220110_180836.jpg
    20220110_180836.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 967
  • 20220110_180903.jpg
    20220110_180903.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 910
  • 20220110_180851.jpg
    20220110_180851.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 991
  • 20220110_180907.jpg
    20220110_180907.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 1,108
Last edited:

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Glad you like it.

Still seems to be a lot of loose cables in there.

What is the little black board? 12v Trigger?

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

Glad you like it.

Other than the speaker leads everything is fine with me and will do. They are very rigid so they're not easy to twist at all. Yeah that's a 12V trigger that I'll never use. I only added it because it wasn't an additional charge.

mrmojo2022

Figured I'd put up a post on the matter after exchanging pics with another member. Bought the VTV Hypex NC1200 build using on-board buffers before Christmas and just had the chance to take the lid off and get some pics this evening. As always, if this goes against any forum rules, please let me know and I'll do what's necessary to comply. Not sure if this counts as a plug for this product or whether plugs are allowed. Couple of notes in no particular order...

* I didn't know this prior, but it looks like the NC1200s have the buffer on the same board, unlike the NC400s and 500s which require a second (Hypex stock or custom) buffer board. Here I opted for stock rather than any fancy op-amps (unsure what was even on offer in that regard) because I've got a lot of experience with the NC500s w/ stock everything and they sounded just fine. No 'house' sound to speak of. Just flat and clean.

* This amp tends to heat up A LOT on the bottom in the back on each side, so it would appear that it's the n-core modules that are responsible and not the big 3-channel-capable SMPS. In the past using NC500s it's been the SMPS that generates the most heat and it the larger XFMR seems to be the primary source, pun intended. I did purchase a set of 4 box fans to place underneath and wired up a little control knob to keep it cool because the temps were getting up to about 130-150F. That's a lot hotter than NC500s run in my experience. The fans aren't audible since I've got the amp in an enclosed built-in cabinet under the TV, which also contributes to heat build up over time. I drilled holes in the wood for all the various wires that go in and out, primarily to keep the aesthetics to my wife's liking.

* As far as sound goes, the thing is a beast. I'm particularly impressed by the dynamics coupled with the JBL speakers I'm using. Even at very low volume, most of the dynamics and details are still there. It can go from VERY soft to VERY loud in the same track and I hear no distortion at discotheque levels. I've also created an EQ setting on the RME ADI-2 v.2 for stereo home theater where I've boosted the bass and adjusted the midrange according to Amir's T&M report on the JBLs. No subwoofer needed, it's that good. I'm not sure what the general ASR consensus on damping factor is, or whether an 'official' test has been done on NC1200s, but it's gotta be very high. Extremely good control of the woofers. As cliche as it may be, it's a blast cueing up some old favorites and hearing new life breathed into them - at all volume levels. It's amazing what high power can do even if we only use the first few watts in most listening. It doesn't hurt that the speakers are very efficient. The closest thing I've heard in my own (admittedly limited) listening in terms of raw power is the IcePower 1200AS2, which I think might have more distortion than the Hypex. Both can rock the house with ease. NC500s are great, NC1200s are a real step up. I had a very nice Krell for a number of years that I never thought I'd part with, but after listening side by side with the NC500 build I decided to sell it. This ups the bar even further.

* Build quality is good by me. The XLR input lead cables use what looks like an extra layer of shielding which has been soldered to the back of the cabinet. In my past experience, these signal cables only used the 3 pins on the back of the XLR connector, but here there are 4 'conductors' including the extra (?) shielding. EDIT: I was wrong and after inspecting more closely it looks like the cables have the normal shielding which is soldered to the cabinet. For what looks like Pin 2 on the back of the XLR inputs, that too is soldered to the case. I'm going to do some more research on this.

I suppose the speaker leads could've been twisted a bit more tightly, but the wires he used are very nice and I doubt it makes a bit of difference in my application. He's using a standard Ghent Audio case, which are among the highest quality pre-fab cases you can get, and the front plate is customized with the VTV logo in the center as we've seen on their other amps. All the soldering is about as good as I tend to do myself, so no complaints there.

All in all, I'd definitely recommend this particular amp configuration from VTV, especially at the price - and I'm sure it measures very well.

P.S. I also recently acquired a Nord Acoustics Nord Three SE Purifi-based integrated which I'll take apart and post separately. I'm using that one in a smaller office setting and it sounds great too and is highly recommended if you can get a decent price.

Attached are some internal pictures which I've taken no particular care in framing or making look pretty (for example, the dust particles come right off with compressed air).
I saw this and had to reply as my experience and nc1200 amp was not good.

The amp was supplied with the wrong US mains cable. I am not in the US and a 240v territory. The case is incorrectly printed with 110/240v compatibility. I know for a fact the PSU is not auto switching and has to be set with a jumper. It will literally go bang if set to 110v and connected to 240v. So opened the case to check things out. luckily it was set correctly.

20210924_160155.jpg

I then noticed it was the wrong psu. right type, wrong voltage. 64 v instead of 84v. the amp will work but with much less power output.

Smps1200 A400 instead of the correct A700.

20210922_181845.jpg

I asked vtv to send me the correct psu. They initially wanted me to send the wrong one back before sending the correct one, but relented after a few pointed comments from me and sent the correct one.

Earth connection didn't have the case paint removed. Poor contact.

20211228_143317.jpg

Poor dry joint on speaker post which wasn't even properly bolted in.

20211211_152729.jpg

The nc1200 has 4 speaker connection wires due to the high potential output currents. only 2 were used. the cable is too thin for the crimps in the connector and just pulled out with the slightest effort.

20210924_160037.jpg

Mine also runs very hot.

Amateur rubbish. Avoid.

Last edited:

mrmojo2022

Forgot about the case. additional holes to mount the nc1200 badly and inaccurately hand drilled WITH the module in place leaving drill holes in its plate!

20210924_160502.jpg

20210924_160558.jpg

No hs compound.

Total garbage.

Last edited:
OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

I saw this and had to reply as my experience and nc1200 amp was not good.

The amp was supplied with the wrong US mains cable. I am not in the US and a 240v territory. The case is incorrectly printed with 110/240v compatibility. I know for a fact the PSU is not auto switching and has to be set with a jumper. It will literally go bang if set to 110v and connected to 240v. So opened the case to check things out. luckily it was set correctly.

View attachment 178176

I then noticed it was the wrong psu. right type, wrong voltage. 64 v instead of 84v. the amp will work but with much less power output.

Smps1200 A400 instead of the correct A700.

View attachment 178178

I asked vtv to send me the correct psu. They initially wanted me to send the wrong one back before sending the correct one, but relented after a few pointed comments from me and sent the correct one.

Earth connection didn't have the case paint removed. Poor contact.

View attachment 178179

Poor dry joint on speaker post which wasn't even properly bolted in.

View attachment 178181

The nc1200 has 4 speaker connection wires due to the high potential output currents. only 2 were used. the cable is too thin for the crimps in the connector and just pulled out with the slightest effort.

View attachment 178182

Mine also runs very hot.

Amateur rubbish. Avoid.
Thanks for the info. When did you buy this amp, was it recently? I know they had some issues with QC in the past. And now that you pointed me to it, mine also only has the 2 wires for speaker terminals. I wasn't aware it was supposed to be 4 because I've only ever worked with the NC500s. What was the solution for that particular issue?

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

Forgot about the case. additional holes to mount the nc1200 hand drilled WITH the module in place leaving drill holes in its plate!

View attachment 178187

View attachment 178188

No hs compound.

Total garbage.
TBH, I've never seen any compound in amps where Hypex modules are screwed to the bottom of the case. In fact I think I remember looking into it at Hypex's site and IIRC they said it wasn't necessary, but I could be mistaking it for another mfg. as I've done numerous DIY projects in the past 4 years.

mrmojo2022

Bought new direct an few months ago. You will have to get hold of the correct connector crimps and re wire it.

Hs compound is required if you want to minimise the module temperature. however as you have found this case as a heatsink is totally inadequate. you say your case is 130 to 150 deg F. Thats way too hot. the modules inside will be much hotter. BTW over 125 deg will cause burns to flesh.

it's incompetent design and build.

Please check your earth connection on the case and check the psu is the right voltage. it should be the smps3ka700. It's marked on the big caps.

Last edited:
OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

Now that you mentioned it and I've stepped away from work, I do in fact remember seeing the inside of nc1200s from other mfg's and there were 4 wires for the speakers. What a pain in the ass if I need to add them. I guess I'll also look into some heat sinking compound too. All in all that isn't more than a 30 minute project once the parts are procured. I'll update the thread when I do. BTW have you already added the two wires or any compound to yours yet?

mrmojo2022

HS compound won't help much. the case is inadequate as a heatsink. 150 deg is way too hot. the modules will have reduced life and the case could cause burns.

I fixed the dangerous earth connection on mine and sold the unit on. I just don't want this garbage.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

HS compound won't help much. the case is inadequate as a heatsink. 150 deg is way too hot. the modules will have reduced life and the case could cause burns.

I fixed the dangerous earth connection on mine and sold the unit on. I just don't want this garbage.
So I went to check the datasheet and apparently the units are operating well under the maximum ambient air and heat sink temperatures. I've measured only as high as 57C on the heat sink but haven't measured the ambient air within the case during operation because I don't have a thermometer or thermocouple to use. Either way lower is obviously better, and I'm going to reach out to Ghent (the guy who makes the cases in China) and see if he has any data on the use of his case for nc1200 applications.

All I can find right now is the following. No data up about heat sinking capabilities. Ghent pre-drills the cases for the various n-core modules so I'm guessing what happened in your case (pardon the pun) was that VTV decided to use one that was pre-drilled for a DIFFERENT n-core configuration and added the holes needed to secure the nc1200s and SMPS. That's not a good or professional way to go about it, though, and I totally understand why this would annoy TF out of someone who dropped $1400+USD on the amp.

1641950246997.png

It does say that there's a thermistor limiter, so I assume that unless something is wrong with the modules, they'll automatically shut down to protect themselves if the heat gets too high.

1641949834515.png

Last edited:
OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

Bought new direct an few months ago. You will have to get hold of the correct connector crimps and re wire it.

Hs compound is required if you want to minimise the module temperature. however as you have found this case as a heatsink is totally inadequate. you say your case is 130 to 150 deg F. Thats way too hot. the modules inside will be much hotter. BTW over 125 deg will cause burns to flesh. it's incompetent design and build.

Please check your earth connection on the case and check the psu is the right voltage. it should be the smps3ka700. It's marked on the big caps.
Also forgot to tell you that yes it's the correct power supply in mine and the solder jumpers are in the correct locations for 120VAC.

mrmojo2022

150 deg f is 65.5 deg c, so it's running close to its max limit. give a good high power workout for a few hours and see the temp go up. If the case is 65 deg, the internal temps and component temps will be higher.

Who wants an amp that will burn your hands and fail early due to temp? it's just bad vtv design.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

Glad you like it.

The more I learn the less I like it. I've emailed my POC at Hypex to ask about the way the speaker outputs are wired with no secondary pair of conductors for the 'cold' + and - for each. There should be 4 wires to each set of speaker terminals; two wires for - and two for +.

I stand by my statements on the sound and overall decent construction techniques, but will base my next actions on what I hear back from Hypex.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

150 deg f is 65.5 deg c, so it's running close to its max limit. give a good high power workout for a few hours and see the temp go up. If the case is 65 deg, the internal temps and component temps will be higher.

Who wants an amp that will burn your hands and fail early due to temp? it's just bad vtv design.
I've actually measured LOWER case temperatures with longer use, so what I'll do is push it hard as often as I can and see if it fails before the 2-year warranty. Agree this is concerning and totally understand why you fixed yours and sold it on.

I'm re-measuring the temps now and the highest I can get is 130F, so I may have been doing something wrong before...

What manufacturer did you get to replace the VTV if I may ask?

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

@C. Cook - are the JBLs you mention the 4309 or 4349? I can only imagine what a combo any would make with NC1200 amp, reaching deafening levels for the loudest parties.
Haha, yeah I'm using 4349s and have a pair of Array 1400s that I've also used it with briefly. The levels would indeed be deafening if I cranked it up enough and I don't want to blow the nice tweeter in the 4349s so I'm going to keep it reasonable. :)

If you ask me, this puts out way too much power for 4309; that is if you push the volume too high.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

Interestingly, Apollon also is only using two wires for each of the speaker terminals in their own nc1200 builds. Here's a pic taken from their web page for that model.

1641951413416.png

mrmojo2022

Interestingly, Apollon also is only using two wires for each of the speaker terminals in their own nc1200 builds. Here's a pic taken from their web page for that model.

View attachment 178355
It's in the nc1200 manual. it's not mandatory but advisable considering they can kick out 40 amps. anyway the loose crimping is a bigger concern.

Appollon are in a different league in terms of quality compared to vtv.

Last edited:

mrmojo2022

I've actually measured LOWER case temperatures with longer use, so what I'll do is push it hard as often as I can and see if it fails before the 2-year warranty. Agree this is concerning and totally understand why you fixed yours and sold it on.
Power dissipation and therefore heat will go up with increasing load / power output

Top Bottom