• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTV Hypex NC1200 Tear Down and Recommendation

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

I do need to address this. it is not based on speculation. it is based on known data for the heat transfer of the material, it's size, surface area and shape. how do think things get designed?
The only way you can address this in a meaningful way is to provide data and calculations for Ghent's case...

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

for months.
Pretty even heat distribution there. Do you know what kind of heat sinking is going on inside the case(s)? Also do you have a recommendation for a cheap FLIR-capable camera? Which one are you using?

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

Everything when you use it as an attack to because @boXem | audio is contradicting your views.
Sigh...nobody including you have "contradicted" me, rather you've disagreed with me. boXem is a seller of Hypex and Purifi amps with cases that he claims are superior to Ghent's case. He is a competitor to VTV, Nord, Apollon, March and others (some of whom ostensibly employ a Ghent case). Therefore if empirical data exists to demonstrate that his claims are true and that Ghent's case measured too poorly to use for even an nc500 application, I think it's fair and, in fact, necessary for him to post it. Do you not?

westyjeff

This is what's inside

P701.jpg

mrmojo2022

Pretty even heat distribution there. Do you know what kind of heat sinking is going on inside the case(s)? Also do you have a recommendation for a cheap FLIR-capable camera? Which one are you using?
It's also about air flow.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

This is what's inside
Thanks, so no additional heat sinking above and beyond the metal plates on the Hypex modules and SMPS and whatever the (custom?) case is able to dissipate. I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that there is also no thermal paste underneath any of them?

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

It's also about air flow.
Of course it is, that's why in my OP I said I had bought some fans (that I feel compelled to say yet again that I'm no longer using because they're no longer needed).

But that March Audio case also doesn't seem to have much going on in the way of venting or other airflow enhancing measures. Certainly nothing visibly different from Ghent's.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

I did. it was based upon the gents dimensions, shape and material.
Sorry, my bad. I must have missed it. I'll scroll back through and see if I can find it.

That said, did you also take into account the venting holes in his case?

Ultimately, if what you've provided is dispositive and accurate, then is it safe to say that Ghent's cases are NOT SUITABLE for MOST ncXXXy applications???

mrmojo2022

Thanks, so no additional heat sinking above and beyond the metal plates on the Hypex modules and SMPS and whatever the (custom?) case is able to dissipate. I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that there is also no thermal paste underneath any of them?
Now who is speculating?

What about the contact area between the base plate and the upper case? there appears to be a lot of long ventilation slots all around and on the sides.

Now this is speculation but I would suggest those slots are strategically placed to encouraged flow.

Last edited:

mrmojo2022

Sorry, my bad. I must have missed it. I'll scroll back through and see if I can find it.

That said, did you also take into account the venting holes in his case?

Ultimately, if what you've provided is dispositive and accurate, then is it safe to say that Ghent's cases are NOT SUITABLE for MOST ncXXXy applications???
The calculation was for an air flow of 0.5l/m

Not saying that at all. it's just not suitable for the level of power dissipation required for a pair of nc1200 modules and power supply. put a lower power dissipation devicecin that case and there won't be a problem.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

The calculation was for an air flow of 0.5l/m

Not saying that at all. it's just not suitable for the level of power dissipation required for a pair of nc1200 modules and power supply. put a lower power dissipation devicecin that case and there won't be a problem.
But keep in mind that boXem said they weren't even suitable for a stereo nc500 application (possibly even mono block) either. Therefore - assuming that is true - it's safe to assume that there are NUMEROUS applications for which Ghent is currently marketing his cases where they are not sinking sufficient heat. Not just stereo nc500 or nc1200.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

Now who is speculating?

What about the contact area between the base plate and the upper case? there appears to be a lot of long ventilation slots all around and on the sides.
I'm looking at the same pictures you are. Are you saying there is more venting per square cm of aluminum than Ghent's cases have? If so then you're speculating, not me. It looks almost identical in that regard.

It's not speculation to point out that there is no additional heat sinking (fins) than what we've seen from VTV, Apollon or Nord.

Another thing I'll point out on the March mono blocks is that the amplifier and SMPS components are screwed to the bottom, detachable face of the chassis. Therefore there is no thermal continuity between where the amps are dissipating their heat to the case and the top of the case. Ghent's case is made in two halves and therefore for an equivalent sized chassis, would have more heat dissipation capability due to greater square cm of surface area.

mrmojo2022

But keep in mind that boXem said they weren't even suitable for a stereo nc500 application (possibly even mono block) either. Therefore - assuming that is true - it's safe to assume that there are NUMEROUS applications for which Ghent is currently marketing his cases where they are not sinking sufficient heat. Not just stereo nc500 or nc1200.
I wouldn't make that assumption. I would work on the calculations and or test data.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

I would work on the calculations and or test data.
That's why I asked if they could provide those calculations and more importantly measurements data that they said they'd done, presumably w/ Ghent's case too.

mrmojo2022

I'm looking at the same pictures you are. Are you saying there is more venting per square cm of aluminum than Ghent's cases have? If so then you're speculating, not me. It looks almost identical in that regard.

It's not speculation to point out that there is no additional heat sinking (fins) than what we've seen from VTV, Apollon or Nord.
It's not just about the holes it's about their position, shape and the flow they create as a result.

As I told you before, it's not about "fins".

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

It's not just about the holes it's about their position, shape and the flow they create as a result.

As I told you before, it's not about "fins".
1. And you have nothing but speculation to offer on how any other case might differ from Ghent's case with regard to position, shape and airflow allowed. The March case appears to have even fewer vent holes than Ghent.

2. Of course it's about "fins" when they're used properly. Why do you think that the plate fin topology for heat sinks has been so widely used for so long? Clearly these "fins" would be best employed where the devices that generate heat (transistors usually) are attached on one side (the "plate") while the other side (the "fins") is exposed to outside air. I've never seen a Hypex OEM build with anything close to this and Hypex doesn't have any literature specifically referencing plate fin heatsinks that I've seen. However, I think we could agree that if someone came up with a way to bolt the ncxxxy modules to a plate fin heatsink, it would do a great deal to aid in heat dissipation above and beyond the majority of case designs currently on the market.

OP
C. Cook

C. Cook

I wouldn't make that assumption. I would work on the calculations and or test data.
Again, I'm only going by what I remember boXem saying. Namely that they determined - through test and measurements (and calculations I'd assume) - that Ghent's case wasn't even suitable for nc500 applications - I could be mistaken, I'll have to double check, but I think he said not even mono blocks. If Ghent's cases aren't suitable for ONE application he's advertising them for, it is in fact a safe assumption that some of the others aren't suitable either.

Top Bottom