• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTV Amplifier - Terrible Quality Build and Customer Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeWalk

If you look carefully, there are drilled holes with miss-positions and re-drills too close to other holes. Also, the hole patterns aren't the same on both amps. Just sloppy. It's not too hard to create a drill jig for each product or version.

OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you look carefully, there are drilled holes with miss-positions and re-drills too close to other holes. Also, the hole patterns aren't the same on both amps. Just sloppy. It's not too hard to create a drill jig for each product or version.
Yeah. And for some holes with no clear explanation:
DC17A8F1-078D-414C-B4CA-C339FCE0B07E.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @echopraxia

If you are interested I am sure we can come to some arrangement to rebuild the units. You could send me the PSU and amp modules and I can rebuild into our cases.
That would be amazing! I’ll send you an email :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've worked with peeps in electronics, mechatronics and electromechanical industrial manufacturing assembly and have experienced some peeps that put out substandard workmanship. Myself I refuse to work that way and that pays off in the long run. The shortsighted and penny wise and a pound shy see it otherwise and put out some really crappy stuff. I think some people have psychological issues and attitude problems and they manifest in poor workmanship and others are simply not up to the task. VTV will surely experience some sales lost due to prospective buyers seeing this post.

dortreo

I came within an inch of purchasing a pair of NC1200s from VTV. But VTV seemed to not understand my questions re: input buffer bypass. March Audio understood right away, and though it was a long six week wait thanks to COVID-era supply chains and shipping, the results have been worth it and well worth the extra cost.

I’m surprised by all those holes in the underside, as I thought that VTV used standard cases. And I find it hard to believe that no one has ever complained about the underside. Maybe you’re the first person to ever look at the bottom of their amp?

Last edited:
OP
E

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...And this thread kindly brought to you by March Audio... (kidding) ;)
I know you’re just joking, but on that topic, just to be clear — March Audio had no indication that I was buying a second pair or amps from elsewhere, and vice versa for VTV.

Therefore, the units I received from both March Audio and VTV were right off their regular production line, and so should be just like what any of you reading this would receive if you buy from them. There was no opportunity for any sort of “golden samples” to be made, because nobody knew (including myself TBH) that I would end up posting any sort of comparison.

I also did not know exactly what to expect from March Audio, but have been very pleasantly surprised with the design and build quality all around. They look, feel, and obviously perform as a high quality premium product — something built with care for quality.

One would hope/expect this of any product, especially in this price range, but apparently not.

IMO VTV would be far better off as a reseller outlet for complete amp build kits; I’d much rather buy from them a kit containing the amp/power modules, case, etc. and assemble myself, than have it assembled sloppily. As it is now, the assembly VTV does quite literally has negative value, since they will need to be repaired properly rebuilt (and VTV has made it clear that they do not see these defects as being a serious concern that they care about).

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
.... And I find it hard to believe that no one has ever complained about the underside. Maybe you’re the first person to ever look at the bottom of their amp?

When I dealt with customers my biggest worry was the ones that weren't happy but didn't complain. I've always figured for every complaint there are countless customers that weren't completely happy for the same reason but didn't want to hassle with complaining. Those are the customers that don't come back and you never know why.

"Unfortunately I drill those myself (I am obviously not a metal smith haha) "

I'm sometimes embarrassed to show pictures of my DIY projects because they may not meet a level of build quality that I'm proud of due to my skill levels with some aspects of the build. I can't even imagine selling something that I laugh off to someone.

samysound

I know you’re just joking, but on that topic, just to be clear — March Audio had no indication that I was buying a second pair or amps from elsewhere, and vice versa for VTV.

Therefore, the units I received from both March Audio and VTV were right off their regular production line, and so should be just like what any of you reading this would receive if you buy from them. There was no opportunity for any sort of “golden samples” to be made, because nobody knew (including myself TBH) that I would end up posting any sort of comparison.

I also did not know exactly what to expect from March Audio, but have been very pleasantly surprised with the design and build quality all around. They look, feel, and obviously perform as a high quality premium product — something built with care for quality.

One would hope/expect this of any product, especially in this price range, but apparently not.

IMO VTV would be far better off as a reseller outlet for complete amp build kits; I’d much rather buy from them a kit containing the amp/power modules, case, etc. and assemble myself, than have it assembled sloppily. As it is now, the assembly VTV does quite literally has negative value, since they will need to be repaired properly rebuilt (and VTV has made it clear that they do not see these defects as being a serious concern that they care about).
Im a recent @March Audio audio customer as well (P502 shipped to the USA). Just wanted to chime and say the exceptional attention to detail and quality is evident in the case work and connectors on the unit I received as well. I have not cracked the case open, however, based on internal images posted on ASR, the layout inside carries the same quality workmanship with thoughtful layout.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My opinion: The owner's response indicates a lack of attention to even basic detail. It also suggests a very low "standard" for his products and perhaps even a lack of shame. If I were responsible for a product line, I would never ever allow a product to go out with extra holes and missing (and mismatched) screws. If you decide to keep it, I would suggest making sure it's plugged into a GFCI-protected socket.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm impressed by the generous and moderate tone struck by many of you ... for me this would be a straight and immediate "File under K - for ya gotta be f-ing kidding me." Then I linked to the Ciunas DAC teardown ... oh, dear. Seriously, what the hell? Right now we're seeing some of the best products in history, and simultaneously some of the worst. Aren't things supposed to converge with maturity?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Despite Mr March's "take no prisoners alive" posting style, he certainly makes awesome products at great prices!
Never hear of these kind of stories with his amps.
It probably has set the bar too high in comparison to your VTV amps.
That style is part of Alan’s charm.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Daverz

Major Contributor
Notice lots of scuffs, scrapes, sloppy custom drill holes all over the place, loose screws, missing screws. Here is a close up of a loose screw:

a27b3aed4d010d4b59c6d7c7313b40f0.jpg

What are you complaining about, kid? You got roundhead screws, flathead screws, loose screws, no screws, a whole variety of screws. It's the spice of life. And look here, if you open it's like a graduate seminar in how to cut costs in electronics. That's priceless, right there.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The manufacturer offered to return your money, and you pay return shipping? That seems to be about a midway offer. I think some sellers hit the user for return shipping and/or a restocking fee.

PS Audio evidently offers a return shipping label if you don't like the product.

The full of Schiit guys charge a restocking fee and hit you for return shipping. But their items are a lot less expensive than PS, and I imagine their margins are thinner.

Benchmark ships free but requires the user to pay rerturn shipping if they don't like the product. My guess is they don't have many shipped back to them.

I've bought items from mail order outfit Crutchfield and they send a return shipping label if you want to return.

I've bought guitars on line--most of the majors ship free and will send a shipping label for a defective product, but if you simply don't like it the customer pays. It's always easy to find 'flaws' in a guitar, so I don't know how hard nosed places like Sweetwater and Guitar Center are. With GC you can always take the return to their store if you have one nearby.

In this case, you might be able to claim the amp is defective, but it really appears that the poor build is just a feature of the amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom