• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTV AMPLIFIER Stereo Purifi Audio 1ET400A - Which input Buffer?

salfand

Hi,

I would like to purchase the VTV AMPLIFIER Stereo Purifi Audio 1ET400A, however I have no idea which input buffer to choose?
Does the Stock Hypex Factory Buffer will be good enough?
I will connect it to my AV receiver Denon 4500H and Front speakers: Morel Octave LE6 floor standing.

I'll appreciate the forum members wise advice.

Thanks,
Shmulik.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't personally recommend the Hypex buffer. I tried it and didn't like it at all, (with apology to those of the conviction that differences are inaudible). The treble sounded oddly distorted and shrill at higher volumes. I purchased the VTV buffer with Sparkos SS3602 op amp which I found to be much more agreeable. At the time I was driving the amp with Topping D90 thru a Schiit Freya + using the passive volume control.

I also tried a few other op amps, OPA1612, OPA627, and Burson V6 Vivid, but I preferred the Sparkos to any of these. FWIW, I think the Burson is the most "tube-like" sounding but also the most expensive by far.

There is also the EVAL-1 version which is the least costly. I don't know what it sounds like, but I would have purchased in preference to the Hypex if it had been available at the time I bought.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This has been addressed many times before
The search function is your friend.
Why i know is because i too had this question before i bought mine and there are plenty of opinions and arguments from both sides on what you should do with little objective data. As such i chose the hypex standard buffer and thought it was great. Of course, i dont have golden ears so ignore my opinion.

OP
S

salfand

Thank you guys,

I checked and the difference between Hypex buffer and Sparkos SS3602 is more than 400$, I wonder if it worth it.

kiwifi

Thank you guys,

I checked and the difference between Hypex buffer and Sparkos SS3602 is more than 400$, I wonder if it worth it.
I have the VTV Purifi amp with the stock Hypex buffer and it sounds great. Amir measured various buffers and found them to be no better, so save your money.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you guys,

Nope. Stick with the VTV Eval 1.

OP
S

salfand

Hi,
If I will take the Stereo Purifi and the distance between the speakers and the amp is ~2-3 meters will I need to use very thick speakers cables?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you guys,

It may be worth it if you believe not only the Sparkos would make a difference, but also a "better" difference. The trouble is, if not blind tested, some will prefer one and some will prefer the other. If blind, then I would bet there will be no difference heard, measurements don't lie, as long as the right things are measured, and measured properly.

masterklee

I purchased the VTV Purifi amp with the default Hypex input buffer board and it sounded ok. It was a little bright for my taste. Then I heard about the Neurochrome input buffer from an audiophile Youtuber and decided to give it a try. Initially I couldn't get it to work as I was not getting any gain from the amp even at maximum volume. I worked with Tom from Neurochrome over a span of 2 days to troubleshoot the issue and finally got it working. After spending countless hours listening I am truly impressed. My system never sounded so good. The soundstage was huge. Very black background. Instruments and vocals sound live with clear separation and highly detailed. I am very happy with the service and the input buffer. I have a hard time stopping my listening sessions.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I purchased the VTV Purifi amp with the default Hypex input buffer board and it sounded ok. It was a little bright for my taste. Then I heard about the Neurochrome input buffer from an audiophile Youtuber and decided to give it a try. Initially I couldn't get it to work as I was not getting any gain from the amp even at maximum volume. I worked with Tom from Neurochrome over a span of 2 days to troubleshoot the issue and finally got it working. After spending countless hours listening I am truly impressed. My system never sounded so good. The soundstage was huge. Very black background. Instruments and vocals sound live with clear separation and highly detailed. I am very happy with the service and the input buffer. I have a hard time stopping my listening sessions.
....sounded ok? You are quite the discriminating listener.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom