• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTA ST-70 Review (Stereo Tube Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 125 62.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 5.5%

• Total voters

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would I ship it to Amir, putting aside the issue of building a non-breadboard version?

My 6DJ8-oid phono preamp has terrific performance. Best tubes for distortion were CCa. Best for low microphonics were a rare 12V version made for Tektronix.

Oh -- just to showcase the measurements more publicly? I vaguely remember seeing a blog post where your APx555 was a loaner and not something you have? I suppose with tubes any modern AP instrument will be sufficient to showcase the performance?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Oh -- just to showcase the measurements more publicly? I vaguely remember seeing a blog post where your APx555 was a loaner and not something you have? I suppose with tubes any modern AP instrument will be sufficient to showcase the performance?
I have a 525 with every bell and whistle. More than good enough for any tube device, even the high performance stuff I’ve designed.

If I need better than 0.0004%, I am set up with some specialized gear, but honestly, the 525 is so ridiculously better than needed for audio that I rarely break it out.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a 525 with every bell and whistle. More than good enough for any tube device, even the high performance stuff I’ve designed.

If I need better than 0.0004%, I am set up with some specialized gear, but honestly, the 525 is so ridiculously better than needed for audio that I rarely break it out.
That's awesome! Do you have any measurements from "your best" tube-powered gear to share?

If you have the interest, I'm happy to gift you a few JAN Sylvannia 6DJ8 tubes to see how they perform in a well designed circuit ;)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That's awesome! Do you have any measurements from "your best" tube-powered gear to share?

If you have the interest, I'm happy to gift you a few JAN Sylvannia 6DJ8 tubes to see how they perform in a well designed circuit ;)
Better yet, I'll throw them on a jig I use for testing noise and linearity.

Here's a couple examples from my MM phono stage using the 12V version of ECC88/6DJ8. I'd have to do some serious digging to find my MC stage's measurements.
1660948026991.jpeg
1660948092771.jpeg

And a high voltage adaption using 12AT7 was discussed here. At 65VRMS out, 3rd was the only significant harmonic at -62dB. This will be the input stage for my next tube power amp.

JP

Major Contributor

JP

Major Contributor
Never saw those.

JP

Major Contributor
Yep assumed as much (x2). Lost to the labyrinth of ‘I’ll remember what I named that, and where I put it’? Went through that just yesterday. Again.

Reactions: SIY
I have recently built a VTA sound valves st70 kit and I was happy with the results. I had a gsi st70 back in the early 80s and I wanted to remember that sound. I have multiple amps and I can’t say it is the best amp but it is no where near the worst sound either. I have to say that it gives me pleasure to listen and I think it is a winner for this reason.

CrowDaddy

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kevin Carter's superb ST-70 upgrade, with Lundahl transformers as phase splitters, a modern power supply, and (mostly) class A operation. My impression is that he is retired and no longer offers the kits, but his webpage about them is an interesting read:
http://www.kandkaudio.com/power-amplifier/ (scroll down to the ST-70 section)

Here is a European version of the VTA circuit with auto-bias:

As SIY suggested, an EF86 as input is a much better choice than a 12AX7, and here is a board using EF86 inputs:
or a complete amplifier kit: http://www.triodeelectronics.com/st70buildkit.html

My ST-70 is original, except for upgraded coupling caps, a few resistors, and a new(er) electrolytic can. It has never failed in the decades I have used it.

However, a couple of years ago I was fortunate to find a pair of Atma-Sphere M-60s, used, in good condition. They are more neutral and transparent than most amps, whether SS or tube, and they have more glowing tubes than anything else.

Radtraveller

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Kevin Carter's superb ST-70 upgrade, with Lundahl transformers as phase splitters, a modern power supply, and (mostly) class A operation. My impression is that he is retired and no longer offers the kits, but his webpage about them is an interesting read:
http://www.kandkaudio.com/power-amplifier/ (scroll down to the ST-70 section)

Here is a European version of the VTA circuit with auto-bias:

As SIY suggested, an EF86 as input is a much better choice than a 12AX7, and here is a board using EF86 inputs:
or a complete amplifier kit: http://www.triodeelectronics.com/st70buildkit.html

My ST-70 is original, except for upgraded coupling caps, a few resistors, and a new(er) electrolytic can. It has never failed in the decades I have used it.

However, a couple of years ago I was fortunate to find a pair of Atma-Sphere M-60s, used, in good condition. They are more neutral and transparent than most amps, whether SS or tube, and they have more glowing tubes than anything else.
More tubes than anything else?
I’ll bet my tube amp has more (and my daddy can be up yours!)

:)

CrowDaddy

How much do you want to bet? The M-60 has 12 tubes per channel, the MA-1 has 19, and the MA-3 has 54.

Radtraveller

My Carver Silver Seven 900 has 40..(50 if you want to count non output tubes)

so the MA-3 has a few more total..
but only makes 500w vs the Silver Seven 900(tested output > 1000) watts per channel..
never heard of MA-3 though, nor seen one for sale, though I read the price was close to $150k/pair(see below)

not only that, but each “mono block” is actually 3 mono amps in parallel.. with the ability to pull 1 or two out of the circuit at any given time and still have a ”functioning” mono at 1/3rd to 2/3rd of the 500w available when all 3 are in circuit.

which means each of the three amps that make up an MA-3 mono only has 14 tubes per channel.
It was a marketing trick.. 3 amps in one “mono block” .. it wasn’t a complete, self contained single mono block with 42 power tubes, just a few working together in a single chassis.

very little info exists on any actual MA-3 amp produced, (nor has one ever been “measured” to ASR “standards”, same goes for the Silver Seven 900 though I am well aware of Amir’s stance on tube amplifiers… along with many lf the readers here) but:

“Very few exist, and I doubt that anyone has heard them. They go for roughly $147k/pair.

A pair were on static display at THE Show at the St. Tropez in Las Vegas in I believe January 2004. A sight to behold.

They are unique in that they have built in power conditioning and are capable of full output power even when the voltage out of the wall sags to as little as 100 volts. They also have built in tube testing. The 42 output tubes (6AS7G) in each are configured in 3 banks of 14 tubes each, which can be switched on or off depending upon listening conditions. Like all Atma-Sphere OTL amplifiers, there is a single stage of gain, no global feedback, and full Class A operation, all triode. The MA-3s put out 500 watts into virtually any load, yet they are pretty darn efficient, so heat output would be less than what you might guess.”

PeteLeoni

Having been married to a McIntosh MC275 for 25 years must make me unqualified for both being an audiophile or a golden-ear.
bum!

Having been married to a McIntosh MC275 for 25 years must make me unqualified for both being an audiophile or a golden-ear.
bum!:oops:
If you hid your amps from yourself and others you would know the answer to both of those Qs. (-:

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had a relatively unmodified ST-70 for a while. Got it pretty cheap, The only modification it had was upgraded film caps - "Multicaps" - as coupling caps.

I bought the thing and then wondered what I would do with it. I then saw a pair of Quad ESL-57's for sale nearby, so the ST-70 inspired me to buy those. The Quads needed a little restoration- the diode voltage multipliers were bad, the tweeter panel had been arced a few times- so I had the panels rebuilt by Quads Unlimited and also bought their voltage multiplier boards and their Zener protection boards. Once I got the Quads working, I tried them on the ST-70. I was underwhelmed. It sounded OK but although their didn't seem to be any high treble rolloff, the highs still sounded like any transient was being mushed, rounded off, smeared- however you want to put it. A real noticeable lack of detail. I tried a decent solid state amp and THAT sounded great. I also had a Stax SRD-7 transformer/bias supply type adapter for my Stax Lambda headphones, I tried the ST-70 on that and heard the same sad thing. I sold the ST-70 after that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom