• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTA ST-70 Review (Stereo Tube Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 126 62.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 5.5%

• Total voters

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I love vintage gear from that era… Eons ago I found a very nice Scott 299A amp and 350B tuner to restore. Scott gear was popular on Audio Asylum at the time (where I used to hang out 20+ years ago). Unfortunately I never got to it and ended up reselling it unrestored… :-(

View attachment 196361
View attachment 196362
I briefly owned the chocolate version of this set (LK-72), with nice walnut cases many years ago. Did not "get" toobz, at all, lol.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The original design used an input pentode coupled to a less-than-unity-gain cathodyne phase splitter. If this is indeed a variant of Mullard, the phase splitter will be a long tail pair with gain, but not enough to equal the original circuit's. The original Mullard circuit used a pentode up front with the long tail pair, so had oodles of open loop gain for distortion and source impedance reduction.
Hmm, if it's an LTP and a pentode input it seems like there would be plenty of gain on hand for feedback.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Hmm, if it's an LTP and a pentode input it seems like there would be plenty of gain on hand for feedback.
That’s the original Mullard. This one uses a relatively low gain triode instead.

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I still listen to one (updated by my friend, Randy) from time to time on Quad 63s and Kef LS 50s. Noting my hearing stops at about 9500 Hz, I still enjoy the experience.

Of those who cast votes, how many actually own or have owned an ST-70?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I really wanted to like this ST-70 because I've always had a fondness for my original-issue McIntosh MC275.
If I was a gambling man in the hunt for a tube amp, I'd wager $2,500 on this knock-off:
Snag_147b1a21.png

Snag_147cff4c.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I still listen to one (updated by my friend, Randy) from time to time on Quad 63s and Kef LS 50s. Noting my hearing stops at about 9500 Hz, I still enjoy the experience.

Of those who cast votes, how many actually own or have owned an ST-70?
I have never owned one and I voted a, "Fine, Happy Panther" level because it's so old and still works pretty good. As the toob geeks here say it needs different toobs to realize it's full potential and I considered that too.

EDIT: @amirm clarified the matter and this specific amp is ~2-3 years old. It's not old.

Last edited:

jam

Thanks for an interesting tube amp review Amir, which we don't see too many of. Loads of distorsion, only 12 bits of resolution at best, relatively low power before if gets nasty, plus you have to deal with the tube lifetime and fiddle with the bias adjustment. This one is not for me.

nyxnyxnyx

Is there a chance of quality deterioration when you measure it?
For example, what if we we measure a very, very vintage piece that has been around for decades. Is there a chance that we will not get the same measurements we were supposed to in it's original state?
Would be great if someone can explain this aspect to me.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just can't imagine spending that kind of money on something like this.
It's a historic component that is pretty much a guaranteed winning horse in the appreciating in value aspect. I would spend the bucks if I wanted a vintage antique toob amp. That Sherwood sort of stuff that I posted earlier in this thread is selling for up to $2700. When I bought mine I paid $200.00 in the early 90's.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For example, what if we we measure a very, very vintage piece that has been around for decades. Is there a chance that we will not get the same measurements we were supposed to in it's original state?
To be clear, this is a modern design around old tubes. I think the unit is only 2 to 3 years old.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Those are standard tube sockets. How or if they're connected, I have no idea.
They are connected with two pins to measure bias for each tube pair. I think it was just convenient to use a tube socket for it than something else.

sam_adams

Top Bottom