• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTA ST-70 Review (Stereo Tube Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 126 62.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 5.5%

• Total voters

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Why bother, if the design is a proven one, yet updated?
I'm guessing that the MC75 had a great deal of hand-wiring in it and the knockoff designs employ PCBs which are faster and cheaper to assemble.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really wanted to like this ST-70 because I've always had a fondness for my original-issue McIntosh MC275.
If I was a gambling man in the hunt for a tube amp, I'd wager $2,500 on this knock-off:View attachment 196383
View attachment 196385
A real MC275 is $4500 for a current production model. $2500 is an awful lot to “wager” on something that might not work for long. If you are going to spend $2500, you might as well spend $4500. Both are serious outlays of cash. However, in this case you get what you pay for with one, and with the other you are taking a big risk.

YSC

Major Contributor
Great is my vote

Points given to:

Channel balance looks good

Plenty of colouration for those looking at tubes

Well you can tinker the input bias, I think that tube amp is all about messing around with taste and not fidelity

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir, it was interesting!:)

Amir:

Again, the distortion is up by about 10 dB in relation to the genuine vintage Dynaco ST-70 amplifier.

Apart from the unique look of the unit, I'm the wrong guy to ask about the attractiveness of these tube amplifiers

For many nice/clean watts there are today good affordable class D amplifiers but tube amplifiers because it is fun and sound/HiFi history and then as a hobby. You can have more than one rig, HiFi system (class D amp in the main system, tube in the extra room, in the bedroom, the garage and so on). For tube DIY guys: Buy an original Dynaco ST-70 and freshen it up and if necessary replace the electronics in it (without changing the construction, if you are not a designer of amplifiers).:)

Edit:
Because it is cheaper to have a vintage tube amp to tinker with and listen to sometimes than to have a vintage car to tinker with and ride with sometimes.:)

Speaking of DIY.I'm not an EE or knowledgeable DIY tube guy, but for anyone interested:

Attachments

• shot_2022-03-30_08-59-59.png
    shot_2022-03-30_08-59-59.png
    380 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

kencreten

Forum Donor
I am not put off too much by the measurements considering tube amps are like that. I guess if someone has tube amps as a hobby, I'm not "against it." I'm a guitarist, and even though I play with a Kemper digital amp, many amplifier "profiles" that the Kemper has are created directly from tube amps. Of course, tube guitar amps are built "for a sound," and not for fidelity. I can see the hobby appeal here. As as long as someone doesn't say, "tubes are better than transistors for high fidelity amps," I have no problem.

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Also, if you now have as a hobby to fix with old amplifiers why not recap and fix with one that has the potential to be really good.:)

Overall, I am happy to recommend the NAD 2200. I almost gave it the highest honors but given the upgraded nature of the test unit, and the fact that used amps may have issues, I avoided that. But you could have easily pushed me to give it the golfing panther.

Edit:
Although fixing with vintage tube amp has a different type of charm and why not, if you have interest and knowledge, do a technical cultural-historical work and:

Let the old pearl live on.:)

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
Please may I suggest resurrecting the simulated speaker crossover loading for response tests (with 8kHz up held to 4-6 ohms or so rather than rising as I believe the original did?). Amps like this usually have a very high output impedance and into a typical modern 4 ohm rollercoaster speaker load, is going to act as a fixed 'graphic equaliser' as it tracks the impedance curve. Just so's anyone buying one of these things is aware of what these antique designs actually do...

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nice to see another ST-70 tested. I built the Joe Curcio version, originally 30 years ago and more recently I rebuilt it into a new chassis as my original PCBs (poor quality - I'd never made PCBs before) were suffering from heat stress from the ECC88s. It wasn't built from Curcio's kit, but from the article in a 1989 edition of Glass Audio

The ST-70 is a wonderful little amp with excellent output transformers - at least the original US made and later Japanese made transformers were. I don't know about the quality of later clones. However, the power transformer was barely adequate even for the original 7199 configuration.

My Curcio ST-70 has been one of the most reliable amps of any type that I've owned. In its first rebuild it went for 20 years with only output tubes being replaced. The newer rebuild with a much larger Sowter power transformer has now been going for 10 years. That's way better than one of the Hypex modules in my multi-channel amp which only lasted 3 years before it failed (transistors).

Curcio's design is interesting as the bias, plate and screen grid are all regulated which to the best of my knowledge is quite unusual.

Here's a link to some measurements from a Curcio ST-70 that I posted on ASR a few years ago.

My original.
DSC_0492-600.jpg

And my later rebuild.
IMG_20190405_173508-700.jpg

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those are standard tube sockets. How or if they're connected, I have no idea.
1648628705071.png

These were used or to be used to connect to/power the Dynaco PAM-1 Preamplifier

Iin this picture, you'll notice the cable with the male end ...
1648629148633.jpeg

Mono. You needed two for stereo...

Interestingly, it had an input for TV! ... Back then, circa 1955, when it was introduced.

dynakit_preamplifier_pam_1_640983.jpg

A trip down memory lanes. My father assembled a ST-70 in the early 70's and later (early 80's) gifted it to me ... Much Later (88?) in my audiophile (phool) life, I purchased an ST-70 and for an all-tube system, using a Audible Illusion Modulus preamplifier with Magnepan Tympani in a small .. square room, 4 x 4 meters... I did enjoy it but knew I was missing a lot....r

Peace.

Last edited:

Vict0r

It looks great and I'm sure it'll sound enjoyable with a pair of semi-efficient vintage speakers. For those moments where you tan in the tube glow and focus on your whisky and cozy candle light, instead of on the minute details of reproduction and performance of your state-of-the-art Genelecs. :p

I voted "not terrible".

maty

Major Contributor

index.php

DanielT

Major Contributor

Attachments

• shot_2022-03-30_11-28-45.png
    shot_2022-03-30_11-28-45.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
  • Radio_and_Hobbies,_March_1948_-_Williamson_Amp_heading (2).png
    Radio_and_Hobbies,_March_1948_-_Williamson_Amp_heading (2).png
    91.9 KB · Views: 77
  • shot_2022-03-30_11-31-18.png
    shot_2022-03-30_11-31-18.png
    371.2 KB · Views: 87

PeteL

Major Contributor
Normally when someone go and modify an existing classic design, he want's to do it for a reason, to improve something about it. Do we know what was Mr Latino goal or claim on this?

The frequency response curve (very good) do we know for which load it is?

AndreaT

What is up with these connector sort of things on the front panel. Are these pre-outs or only for bias adjustment?
View attachment 196360
It would power the dyna preamp, the PAM-1 if I am not mistaken. It is a connector derivative of an octal tube socket. My father had one for years back in the early ‘60s powering a home made mono amp with Westrex transformers.

Last edited:

aj625

and we say tube amps sound rich due to 2nd order harmonics. :p

LarryRS

I still listen to one (updated by my friend, Randy) from time to time on Quad 63s and Kef LS 50s. Noting my hearing stops at about 9500 Hz, I still enjoy the experience.

Of those who cast votes, how many actually own or have owned an ST-70?
I had a Stereo 70, along with the Dynaco PAS-3X and FM-3. Replaced the Stereo 70 and PAS-3X with a SCA-80Q (Q = built in Dynaquad) and the FM-3 with an FM-5. All Dynakits.

Top Bottom