• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTA ST-70 Review (Stereo Tube Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 125 63.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 23.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 16 8.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 4.6%

• Total voters

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interestingly, Tim deParavicini showed me a cascode ECC88 circuit that got astoundingly high gain, using starved current operation (0.5mA). I didn't believe his performance claims so breadboarded it. And damn, he was right. Gain of 300, at 6V RMS out, H2 = -58dB, no detectable higher order.

Is that something you can put together in a format that will survive shipping to Amir? In the other Carver thread, I mentioned that I have a stash of JAN Sylvania 6DJ8’s that I can contribute. It would interesting to see how a high performance tube product with presumably pretty good tubes will measure.

SIY

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Is that something you can put together in a format that will survive shipping to Amir? In the other Carver thread, I mentioned that I have a stash of JAN Sylvania 6DJ8’s that I can contribute. It would interesting to see how a high performance tube product with presumably pretty good tubes will measure.
Why would I ship it to Amir, putting aside the issue of building a non-breadboard version?

My 6DJ8-oid phono preamp has terrific performance. Best tubes for distortion were CCa. Best for low microphonics were a rare 12V version made for Tektronix.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would I ship it to Amir, putting aside the issue of building a non-breadboard version?

My 6DJ8-oid phono preamp has terrific performance. Best tubes for distortion were CCa. Best for low microphonics were a rare 12V version made for Tektronix.

Oh -- just to showcase the measurements more publicly? I vaguely remember seeing a blog post where your APx555 was a loaner and not something you have? I suppose with tubes any modern AP instrument will be sufficient to showcase the performance?

SIY

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Oh -- just to showcase the measurements more publicly? I vaguely remember seeing a blog post where your APx555 was a loaner and not something you have? I suppose with tubes any modern AP instrument will be sufficient to showcase the performance?
I have a 525 with every bell and whistle. More than good enough for any tube device, even the high performance stuff I’ve designed.

If I need better than 0.0004%, I am set up with some specialized gear, but honestly, the 525 is so ridiculously better than needed for audio that I rarely break it out.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a 525 with every bell and whistle. More than good enough for any tube device, even the high performance stuff I’ve designed.

If I need better than 0.0004%, I am set up with some specialized gear, but honestly, the 525 is so ridiculously better than needed for audio that I rarely break it out.
That's awesome! Do you have any measurements from "your best" tube-powered gear to share?

If you have the interest, I'm happy to gift you a few JAN Sylvannia 6DJ8 tubes to see how they perform in a well designed circuit ;)

SIY

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
That's awesome! Do you have any measurements from "your best" tube-powered gear to share?

If you have the interest, I'm happy to gift you a few JAN Sylvannia 6DJ8 tubes to see how they perform in a well designed circuit ;)
Better yet, I'll throw them on a jig I use for testing noise and linearity.

Here's a couple examples from my MM phono stage using the 12V version of ECC88/6DJ8. I'd have to do some serious digging to find my MC stage's measurements.
1660948026991.jpeg
1660948092771.jpeg

And a high voltage adaption using 12AT7 was discussed here. At 65VRMS out, 3rd was the only significant harmonic at -62dB. This will be the input stage for my next tube power amp.

JP

Major Contributor

JP

Major Contributor
Never saw those.

JP

Major Contributor
Yep assumed as much (x2). Lost to the labyrinth of ‘I’ll remember what I named that, and where I put it’? Went through that just yesterday. Again.

Reactions: SIY
I have recently built a VTA sound valves st70 kit and I was happy with the results. I had a gsi st70 back in the early 80s and I wanted to remember that sound. I have multiple amps and I can’t say it is the best amp but it is no where near the worst sound either. I have to say that it gives me pleasure to listen and I think it is a winner for this reason.

Top Bottom