• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VTA ST-70 Review (Stereo Tube Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 126 62.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 5.5%

• Total voters

vkhong

March 28, 2024: I've just bought an all-new, Dynaco ST-70-inspired, basic amp (for $1,195) that an enthusiast has created for sale (with a Bob Latino input section that he has lightly modded). I bought it on a lark just to see what this much-loved simple tube amp circuit would sound like. I'm fascinated by this antique. I'm 82 years old. When I was a kid I longed to get my hands on the Dynaco ST-70 (in the late 1950s). I couldn't afford $100 then. And it would have needed a pre-amp too, which I could not afford either. But I did buy a 12-watt-per side Heathkit integrated amp featuring four EL84 tubes in push-pull circuits (for $59). I soldered it up, plugged it in, and I relied on it for the next that 13 years---on down to 1973 when I got my first real job as a college teacher. It finally blew a power tube, so I set it aside.
The AudioScience review of an original Dynaco ST-70 that started off this thread a couple years ago, which I found just recently online, was quite off-putting. That amp measured terribly. It was a dog! Could that have been due to the age and wear on the old amp? Installing the Bob Latino input section in that tired old example was not much of a test for the mod in question. Resistors and caps whose values were no longer nominal, solder joints that were questionable, wire insulation that had rotted, corroded tube sockets, transformers past their prime----all these aspects (and more) could account for the reviewer's disappointment.
When I receive the new David Hafler inspired amp from my enthusiast builder, I'll come back to this thread and report. My builder has beefed up the power transformer and obtained bigger, better-wound output transformers. He's put bigger caps into the amp where that might make a difference. He's used high quality resistors with guaranteed, precise values. He's also supplied a connector for a fancy power cord. But he has retained tube rectification in the power supply. Maybe I'll attempt to replace the tube with a solid-state rectifier just to see what such a mod might do for the amp's performance. Report to come.
Priced at $1195, I think I know which amp it is. You'll be fine. I had that amp for a while before I sold it to another tube amp enthusiast. I still have the original Latino VTA ST-70 which was the unit reviewed at ASR. I settled on Winged C EL34 power tubes and RCA 12AU7 clear-top driver tubes as my favourite tube complement. The rest of the system comprises of a Parasound P6 2.1 pre-amp with bass management, a MacBook Pro for steaming audio at a minimum of 24-bit/96kHz, a pair of SVS PB-1000 Pro, and a pair of Klipsch La Scala.

(ST-70 pictured was not in use at the time of the photo. The MC2105 below was the active amplifier.)

Attachments

• PXL_20240315_180831753.jpg
    PXL_20240315_180831753.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 28

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
That's one fancy amp stand! Seismic?
A boutique vendor - Scrapwood.
:cool:
I was -- quite literally -- showing my son how to use a router and we built two "speaker" stands, which have been also used for monitors (during COVID) and, in more recent times, to keep an amp off the carpet whilst playing around with it.

He has long since and far surpassed my Neanderthaler woodworking "skills". :)

PS That amplifier is just visitin'... but it is of the $1195 kind. :p EDIT: No soiled state rectifier, though. ;)

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tube rectifier!

Man at one time I took to putting all 10 turn pots on the bias of my tube amps. I also put them over on the edge with a banana plug so I could just plug in and bias them when needed. Well worth the effort if you going to use one all the time. Of course one of my friends would mount an analog meter in the face of his you switched in for biasing. Even better.

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"he likes to watch the tubes glow in the dark". If anyone thinks that isn't a factor, check out the AGD GAN monoblock amplifiers . I have a pair on loan right now that I'm trying out. Great sound from the Gallium Nitride power MOSFETS and they glow beautifully.
Could you share some thoughts about AGD amps? Little chance AGD will be reviewed and measured here. I heard opinions, that AGD are the best sounding class D amps on the planet, much better that all hypex and purify and other GAN amps, they apparently have many of the sonic characteristics of tube amplifiers (not only visually). If yes I wander what's the secret in their topology(?)
1711897600776.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I had a neat little all original (AFAIK) ST70 for many years in my collection.
It ran well as my "for sale" photos showed but the PC board was getting a little toasty so I never used it much.
Sold it along with all my vintage gear before my retirement move.
IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Nice multimeter. I had a Simpson digital bench meter for years and it was very tough and metered stuff fast.
LOL, yea it's a grody, nasty old SOB but still works.
It was used in a auto repair shop I worked at for many years and had got beat up and covered
in grease and grime that just won't clean off. Just an old collectable I won't let go of even though
I have newer, clean stuff. ;)

Top Bottom