• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vote: Which Headphones Should I Get Rid Of?

Which headphones should I get rid of?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Neck and neck between the HE-400i and AKG K7XX...

Whichever I get rid of, I need to find a charitable cause to donate the losing cans to.

samwell7

Neck and neck between the HE-400i and AKG K7XX...

Whichever I get rid of, I need to find a charitable cause to donate the losing cans to.

If you were in Australia I'd say sell them and donate the proceeds to LifeLine (crisis support service) but I'd guess there's an equivalent in your country!

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
If you were in Australia I'd say sell them and donate the proceeds to LifeLine (crisis support service) but I'd guess there's an equivalent in your country!

I'm hoping to avoid the hassle of selling by giving them away.

Especially in a social distancing pandemic. I don't want people coming and asking for listening tests.

samwell7

I'm hoping to avoid the hassle of selling by giving them away.

Especially in a social distancing pandemic. I don't want people coming and asking for listening tests.
Fair enough, where are you based?
Could have the 'buyer' pay postage and donate an amount to a charity of your choice (providing you proof prior to you shipping them), I just don't know how you're going to choose the beneficiary.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Fair enough, where are you based?
Could have the 'buyer' pay postage and donate an amount to a charity of your choice (providing you proof prior to you shipping them), I just don't know how you're going to choose the beneficiary.

Location in avatar.. ;)

I'll probably just list them in Nextdoor, give them to some kid in the neighborhood.

samwell7

Location in avatar.. ;)

I'll probably just list them in Nextdoor, give them to some kid in the neighborhood.

TIL it shows details when clicking on user's avatars.

Yeah Nextdoor would work, good way to help get somebody started on the right track.
If you want to post either of the losing cans to Aus I'd be keen to try them (but that isn't really fair for the rest of the user base)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted for the K371, as I can't quite forgive it's dip in the treble, and I don't think the soundstage would be as good as the HE400i, and you can also EQ up the bass on the HE400i to compete with the K371, and it's a planar so interesting to keep a planar amoungst the others. Based on my favourite experience with the K702 then I couldn't vote out the K7XX, although I don't know if the K7XX has such a great soundstage as the K702, because I'm not certain that the K7XX has angled pads. And I think Senn 6XX is a keeper as a classic, although the soundstage is kinda rubbish, but it does everything else really well with the exception of excellent deep bass, but it's an open-backed dynamic so we can forgive that.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But I just got them 2-3 weeks ago....

So soon?
Well, I nearly said get rid of the HE400i, as I find my HE4XX sounds a bit dull, but it does have a good soundstage, and your other headphones may be lacking in soundstage apart from the 7XX, but then again if that doesn't have angled pads (not sure) then that might not be your soundstage headphone which might sway you to keep the HE400i. K371 or HE400i.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
Another Shelf! I used to get rid of headphones all the time that weren't very expensive, now I kind of regret it. You're not going to get the money back so just keep um. If it was $300+ then you might be getting something back so I could understand that.

And never pass judgement on speakers/headphones you just bought ^^^ You haven't given them time to burn in.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Another Shelf!

Nope.

I don't even listen to the ones I already have enough. It's been over a month since I listened to most of them. I can't even remember the last time I listened to the K7XX.

I'm not looking to get paid / get money back. I'll be giving away whatever gets booted.

Nichdroid

I have another idea... (Don't take that too seriously:D)

The problem is that you have not enough space to keep them, right? so... send them all to Amir for testing, one at a time. You see, it's a win-win situation, you make space on your house, then Amir could provide us more reviews and he could look for unit to unit variance for headphones he has already measured.:cool:

Robin L

Master Contributor
I have another idea... (Don't take that too seriously:D)

The problem is that you have not enough space to keep them, right? so... send them all to Amir for testing, one at a time. You see, it's a win-win situation, you make space on your house, then Amir could provide us more reviews and he could look for unit to unit variance for headphones he has already measured.:cool:
But Amir already measured two of them [two I've got and will keep, FWIW].

Nichdroid

But Amir already measured two of them [two I've got and will keep, FWIW].
Well, yeah, but I'd be very interested if at some point he'll get the opportunity to measure other units of the same headphone model...
I don't think it would be necessary another full review, but maybe another set of measurements with the same headphone could provide us hints on variation between units, on quality-control level and such...
It could be useful also to make clear why you can't EQ all the way up to a target one set of headphones and then pretend that all of them will exhibit the same response...

Robin L

Master Contributor
Well, yeah, but I'd be very interested if at some point he'll get the opportunity to measure other units of the same headphone model...
I don't think it would be necessary another full review, but maybe another set of measurements with the same headphone could provide us hints on variation between units, on quality-control level and such...
It could be useful also to make clear why you can't EQ all the way up to a target one set of headphones and then pretend that all of them will exhibit the same response...
I am so not worried about the measurements of those two headphones. The Drop 6XXs sound great with eq, the Akg K371 without. Don't look a gift horse too deep in the mouth. And don't expect too much from Amir, he's dancing as fast as he can..

Reactions: PSO
Top Bottom