• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vote for this headphone

Graph Feppar

The headphone testing website RTINGS.com has this vote thing going on where you can vote for headphone which you would like to see reviewed and measured. If you register you have 1 point to vote, those who contribute money to the site get 5 points. They then buy the headphones with most votes and test them. The voting poll

Please, vote for Sony MDR Z7 m2, its official name inside the voting poll is Sony MDRZ7M2 . The poll can be accesed by clicking Contact us at the bottom and then clicking Suggest headphones to review. Right now the Z7 m2 ( aka Mark II aka new version ) is at the rock bottom with only one vote.

I will now give reasons why I think Z7 m2 is interesting headphone worthy of being measured.

1. The new m2 version have new 70mm driver with much bigger magnets than previous version.
2. The build quality of these is probably best in the world, the older Z7 and Z1R are praises for their amazing build quality
3. The new m2 have new earpads that look like the Z1R earpads with protrusion bump around jaw area for better seal.
4. All people say the old Z7 was extremly comfortable, this new m2 is probably even better, a comfort champion.
5. The older Z7 was praised for its wide soundstage, its probably one of widest if not the widest sounding closed can.
6. Old Z7 could be modified by sealing its internal vents to significantly decrease bass THD, it could be stuffed with acoustic damping like cotton and its multiple ports could be sealed, great modding potential.
7. Sony makes significant frequency response changes, if you look at 1R > 1A > 1A m2 you will see each one gets smoother and flatter, the Z7 m2 had probably much better stock FR than old Z7.

Last edited:

GeekyBastard

"Please, vote for Sony MDR Z7 m2, its official name inside the voting poll is Sony MDR1AM2."

No, it's not, the MDR 1A M2 is the newer version of MDR 1A, the MDR Z7 M2 is the newer version of MDR Z7, MDR 1A and MDR Z7 are two completely different products.

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

Ahhh yes... (insert facepalm meme) , I made mistake, the official name in rtings is Sony MDRZ7M2.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the original Sony MDR Z7 and like it. The sound is a bit bassy but not like Beats. I wouldn't want them as my only headphones but in the right mood and with the right music I find them hugely enjoyable.

One aspect of them that other manufacturers should study is their build quality. The quality of materials and fit and finish shame the vast majority of headphones, including those costing an awful lot more than the Z7's. They make the high end Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audeze etc models feel low rent IMO.

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

I have the original Sony MDR Z7 and like it. The sound is a bit bassy but not like Beats. I wouldn't want them as my only headphones but in the right mood and with the right music I find them hugely enjoyable.

One aspect of them that other manufacturers should study is their build quality. The quality of materials and fit and finish shame the vast majority of headphones, including those costing an awful lot more than the Z7's. They make the high end Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audeze etc models feel low rent IMO.

Did you tried the vent, port or cup mod?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you tried the vent, port or cup mod?

No, I like them as is. I have Oppo PM-2's for a smoother and more balanced sound and Beyerdynamic T5P 2's for a brighter sound with plenty of bass.

Top Bottom