• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vote For a Future Engineer Project to get Funded by Sonic Drive In

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mods delete if not allowed

Hey Friends,
I am a high school physics teacher by day in a 100% free and reduced lunch (mostly free) school district.

We build a lot of engineering projects to discuss the physics behind the project as well as give students life skills on how to use different tools. This empowers them to be able to make some choices in their future. They will have the skills to decide if they want to build something themselves or pay someone to build it. The engineering part hopefully gets a couple to go on to the engineering world, but that is only a couple students a year that start and end up finishing an engineering degree.

Anyway, I use a lot of power tools that have either been purchased by me or donated by others. This is to get us a Miter Saw to make better cuts and ease some anxiety I have when students use the circ saw.

ALL THIS TAKES IS YOU VOTING! NOTHING ELSE!

Sonic Drive in has partnered with Donors Choose to fund a bunch of projects if they are one of the top vote getters in their Fall Contest. They are funding up to $250,000 each week for 4 weeks (ending October 24th) for a total of $1,000,000.
To vote do the following:
You get 4 votes the first time you sign up then an additional vote every day (if you use it) after that.

Again mods delete if not allowed.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Good luck.

OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

Thank you for the votes and donation!

But Not necessary to donate if everyone just votes. The voting alone will fully fund it via sonic! They will pay up to $600 for the project and mine was conveniently under that cost .

OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

This was a couple students yesterday that have never used a band saw, drill press, wood glue, clamps. They have now!

We are currently building mouse trap cars in one class and homemade instruments in the others.

This is where the sliding miter saw will come in super handy! These band saws are good, but easy to get off of a straight line with them (I am sure if you ever used one, you know what I mean)

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

This material is way to thin and light to drill through and use screws on, it cracks easy. Good for speed (light weight) of the mousetrap car, bad for assembly. Hence the wood glue and clamps. But they now know when to use wood glue vs. screws/nails and how.
IMG_2773.JPG

They even got crazy and did press fit bearings for their axles! Kind of a perfect accident of drill bit size choice. They were planning on super gluing the bearings in but now they don't need to!
IMG_2774.JPG

OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

Bump for some more votes! Please.....

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Added four votes as well. Hands-on science for young people is a worthy cause. Good luck.

OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

Thank you to all that have helped so far! The voting for this week to get funded closes on Sunday! Let's get as many as we can so this gets paid for by Sonic!

OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

Well, fortunately a donor that didn't know we were doing this funded the project.

Thanks to all that voted for mine.

If you didn't get a chance to vote or want to help out my wife (who is also a high school teacher), you can vote for her project here! She would greatly appreciate it!

OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

If people want to vote for another project, this one is now up! It is for some tape measures, levels, and speed/carpenter/rafter squares for the classroom.

You get 4 votes the first time you sign up, then 1 vote every 24 hours after! So vote once a day!

Or if you go to sonic drive in, they give you a code for an additional vote on the receipt!

OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

Bump for more votes
wink.png

I did some research today (since projects got funded by Sonic Yesterday), and the cutoff point was about 400 votes. We are currently at 201 votes. We need 200 more!

That is 50 people voting for the first time (4 votes the first time), or 200 voting for the second time (1 vote each day).

As of writing this, there are 1040 users online and 207 members. That could be A LOT of votes! It costs you nothing but 5 minutes of your time!

OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

Some more fun pictures of some of the completed projects that were just built by students.

Maybe this will convince a few more of you to go vote!
https://www.limeadesforlearning.com/projects/5918927

Homemade Instruments for regular/honors physics
Mouse Trap Cars for AP Physics.
2021_musical_instruments_and_mouse_trap_cars_2_86bc51a416bd01ce42e99e2b798c6a75488f109b.jpg

2021_musical_instruments_and_mouse_trap_cars_e62acfb753060470d5c89a46bc8f91dd3808e9d3.jpg

OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

I have been using a vote every day for your projects, but today I got to use 4 votes again! Do we get 4 votes once a week (and a vote per day in between)?
Every 10 votes, you get an additional 3 :)

Top Bottom