• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Volumio3 (beta) and Parametric EQ

ezublab

Hello!
Volumio3 is coming.
A new Parametric EQ based on CamillaDsp is here!
Features:
- Up to 50 PEQ (Peaking, lowpass, highpass, lowshelf, highshelf, notch)
- Scope for each PEQ (L, R or L&R channels)
- Global gain auto set
- Additional gain for both channel
- 3 possible preset
- Importation from Autoeq for 3800 headphone profils (just select, apply, it's done). Peq can be adjust if needed
- Importation for local file (Export from REW as text)

Need a small manual installation (waiting for stable version)
More info : https://github.com/balbuze/volumio-plugins/tree/alsa_modular/plugins/audio_interface/Parameq4Volumio
Need testers and feedback

Attachments

• Parameq4Volumio.jpg
    Parameq4Volumio.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 834

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will it support Amazon music streaming?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello!
Volumio3 is coming.
A new Parametric EQ based on CamillaDsp is here!
Features:
- Up to 50 PEQ (Peaking, lowpass, highpass, lowshelf, highshelf, notch)
- Scope for each PEQ (L, R or L&R channels)
- Global gain auto set
- Additional gain for both channel
- 3 possible preset
- Importation from Autoeq for 3800 headphone profils (just select, apply, it's done). Peq can be adjust if needed
- Importation for local file (Export from REW as text)

Need a small manual installation (waiting for stable version)
More info : https://github.com/balbuze/volumio-plugins/tree/alsa_modular/plugins/audio_interface/Parameq4Volumio
Need testers and feedback
Nice. Hopefully they can smooth out the release engineering whilst they are at it-I ran 2x for a long time and it seemed to break a lot on upgrade. I ended up quite reluctant to upgrade, or to recommend an otherwise good product to others, especially those who can’t troubleshoot it.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Nice. Hopefully they can smooth out the release engineering whilst they are at it-I ran 2x for a long time and it seemed to break a lot on upgrade. I ended up quite reluctant to upgrade, or to recommend an otherwise good product to others, especially those who can’t troubleshoot it.
I use the Volumio Primo Streamer. Tried 2 times to install brutefir (a pain in the a.. really) which never really worked and resulted in two factory resets to get it working again. Had some problems with updates too, so I understand your reluctance.

I would really appreciate the PEQ with the possibility of importing data from REW, but not as a beta tester. I definitely will wait for a stable version.

Btw: Please redesign the Android app! Like the appearance but have to restart it nearly every time I want to change music or the source. Have a look at Audirvana to learn, how a proper designed UI works....

norcalscott

Forum Donor
Btw: Please redesign the Android app! Like the appearance but have to restart it nearly every time I want to change music or the source. Have a look at Audirvana to learn, how a proper designed UI works....
I am just trying out Volumio and mostly impressed with it. Like you, I have to restart the Android app quite frequently, especially if I navigate away from the player into other parts of the app. I was successful in getting it to see my main audio library, which is on a USB drive connected to a Windows 10 media center PC - took some doing but working really well.

ishmeister

So the github link directory was deleted. How do I install this plugin now?

Grotti

Forum Donor
So the github link directory was deleted. How do I install this plugin now?
AFAIK they are working on the implementation of the PEQ. Seems to me, that they disabled it in order to make sure, that the big upgrade to Volumio 3 runs smooth. And that's what it did so far (at least in my system....)

ishmeister

AFAIK they are working on the implementation of the PEQ. Seems to me, that they disabled it in order to make sure, that the big upgrade to Volumio 3 runs smooth. And that's what it did so far (at least in my system....)
Thanks. Hopefully they get it released soon. This would be a total game changer for me since I'll be able to run my headphone stack from a pi with PEQ and be able to move my headphone setup out of the office to a more relaxed setting.

OP
E

ezublab

Last edited:

cavedriver

Fwiw, I have am having constant crashing and lagging on my pi 4 running Volumio with the FusionDSP installed and playing from USB or Spotify. It's infuriating how often the thing hangs.

OP
E

ezublab

Fwiw, I have am having constant crashing and lagging on my pi 4 running Volumio with the FusionDSP installed and playing from USB or Spotify. It's infuriating how often the thing hangs.
What is the version of FusionDsp and Volumio?
FusionDsp v1.0.36 is required. Some previous version had an issue
And it is known that the actual implementation for Spotify is not very stable. Fortunately a new version is coming soon.

cavedriver

What is the version of FusionDsp and Volumio?
FusionDsp v1.0.36 is required. Some previous version had an issue
And it is known that the actual implementation for Spotify is not very stable. Fortunately a new version is coming soon.
yeah, I had recently updated to the December release but I see I was still on the 1.0.33 release of FusionDSP so I updated it to 1.0.36. We'll see how it does. Yes I read that the Spotify interface was buggy and it sure is. But if they don't fix it soon I will switch OS's. There must be something better.

radix

Major Contributor
I do like Volumio3 use of TriggerHappy for IR control. With a FLIRC, you can easily make it do anything, no plugins needed (just ssh access to configure the etc file).

I've not tried FusionDSP recently, but it was buggy last I tried several months ago.

I agree that the Spotify interface has some issues. It's mostly if I'm playing via some other source, the spotify plugin cannot take control again unless I stop that other source.

cavedriver

with the update it only took one transition from USB to Spotify to crash again, joy! What other OS is everyone else using? Roon? It's gotta play from local USB in addition to streaming

radix

Major Contributor
with the update it only took one transition from USB to Spotify to crash again, joy! What other OS is everyone else using? Roon? It's gotta play from local USB in addition to streaming

You mean you have a USB drive with audio files on it?

Have you checked the system log to make sure the USB drive is not having errors and that you are using a USB3 port, not an older port?

I use both Roon and Volumio in the house. Roon is on a synology NAS, so it gets its files directly. I use Volumio with the same NAS as a CIFS-mounted volume.

Roon core should work ok with a USB drive, but they recommend using a solid-state drive for the roon database.

cavedriver

You mean you have a USB drive with audio files on it?

Have you checked the system log to make sure the USB drive is not having errors and that you are using a USB3 port, not an older port?

I use both Roon and Volumio in the house. Roon is on a synology NAS, so it gets its files directly. I use Volumio with the same NAS as a CIFS-mounted volume.

Roon core should work ok with a USB drive, but they recommend using a solid-state drive for the roon database.
No, I haven't checked the USB but it does it with two different USB's. I may look into testing it. But I'm puzzled by your mention of the USB 3 port. The bitrate for CD-quality sound is roughly 1/10th of the USB 2 spec. Shouldn't the USB 2 port be just fine?

Yes, I need to look into Roon apparently

radix

Major Contributor
No, I haven't checked the USB but it does it with two different USB's. I may look into testing it. But I'm puzzled by your mention of the USB 3 port. The bitrate for CD-quality sound is roughly 1/10th of the USB 2 spec. Shouldn't the USB 2 port be just fine?

Yes, I need to look into Roon apparently

Volumio and Roon will both scan your drive and gather album art and such. It's not just playback.

You can look at the "dev" page for volumio (http://<name>/dev) to see logs and such. Or if you enable ssh access, you can check for usb errors in the system logs and likely use things like "lsusb". The logs might tell you what volumio is chocking on.

If you're using a Pi 4B, the two middle USB ports are USB3 and the two outer are USB2.

Is the USB drive self-powered or is it using USB power? If it's USB powered, maybe there is a power issue. You might try a USB power splitter cable. Is it an SSD or disk drive?

cavedriver

So occasionally when it crashes (stops playing) I can get it going again by switching to anything from the USB drive, but sometimes it just outputs horrible static, which of course sucks. Not sure what is causing this but it's a pretty dramatic failure. Surprisingly sometimes hitting pause or starting another track clears it. Of course it's doing this right now but at this moment I can't even get it to clear.

yes it's a 4B with 2 USB 3.0 ports and 2 USB 2.0 ports

Using a USB flash drive from Sandisk. Even with compressed FLAC's my entire collection fits on two of them (at 256 GB each)

Top Bottom