• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Volumio3 (beta) and Parametric EQ

radix

Major Contributor
SB flash drive from Sandisk. Even with compressed FLAC's my entire collection fits on two of them (at 256 GB each)
By flash drive, you mean a thumb drive? I do have those flake out on me every now and again, especially under higher loads. If you put the thumb drive into your PC and try playing from the PC, does it consistently work?

I would try to check the volumio system logs. My concern is that if you switch to a different OS, it will have the same problem with the drives.

What output device are you using? USB to a DAC? If you are using a USB source and a USB output, maybe volumio OS is getting confused? Personally, I'd use the USB3 for the drives and USB2 for the DAC, if that's the case.

You could try downloading Roon Core for Linux, flashing a new SD card (to keep your volumio card intact) and try Roon with a trial subscription. I've not installed it on linux before (I use a nas install as I said).

If you use "lsusb -v" you will see the maxpower of each device. I believe the 4B can support up to 1200mA of USB power.

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, I mean thumb drive. Two different Sandisk ones. Yes, it is certainly possible that both have errors. One was installed in a car as a USB source for a while and that tends to burn them out. I'm in the process of reformatting and refilling the other one. I could use a HDD, I have a spare lying around that accepts a separate power connection.

Yes, I'm using USB out to a DAC. I could get a HAT with an optical out, or a DAC HAT with balanced outs (to match my amp). I was thinking of getting an Allo Piano DAC HAT since it has a subwoofer out, but it doesn't have balanced outs so I would want to switch amps. In the meantime I'll try moving the USB out to the 2.0's to see if that makes any difference. Should have tried it already even if it has a low probability of making a difference.

radix

Major Contributor
Yes, I mean thumb drive. Two different Sandisk ones. Yes, it is certainly possible that both have errors. One was installed in a car as a USB source for a while and that tends to burn them out. I'm in the process of reformatting and refilling the other one. I could use a HDD, I have a spare lying around that accepts a separate power connection.

Yes, I'm using USB out to a DAC. I could get a HAT with an optical out, or a DAC HAT with balanced outs (to match my amp). I was thinking of getting an Allo Piano DAC HAT since it has a subwoofer out, but it doesn't have balanced outs so I would want to switch amps. In the meantime I'll try moving the USB out to the 2.0's to see if that makes any difference. Should have tried it already even if it has a low probability of making a difference.

Make sure the HAT is supported under Volumio3 and the new linux kernel. I got screwed on some HiFiBerry digi hats (to coax/toslink, not dacs) that are not compatible with the updated linux kernel.

In a nutshell, what I was trying to suggest is to diagnose where the problem is before blaming volumio3 (which I admit is not perfect). So its just some diagnostic to eliminate possibilities.

JonP

with the update it only took one transition from USB to Spotify to crash again, joy! What other OS is everyone else using? Roon? It's gotta play from local USB in addition to streaming
Been a happy Moode user for quite a while now. (Moode is a branch off Volumio, IIRC. moodeaudio.org)
Never tried Volumio, so can't compare directly, but my experience and from what I hear, is that its much more stable. I'm a Spotify user, a few years back there were a few bugs, but its very solid these days. Looks great, tons of hi res streaming stations, has Camilla, other para and graphical EQ's, headphone crossfeeds, etc...

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Been a happy Moode user for quite a while now. (Moode is a branch off Volumio, IIRC. moodeaudio.org)
Never tried Volumio, so can't compare directly, but my experience and from what I hear, is that its much more stable. I'm a Spotify user, a few years back there were a few bugs, but its very solid these days. Looks great, tons of hi res streaming stations, has Camilla, other para and graphical EQ's, headphone crossfeeds, etc...
I refuse to install updates to Volumio. It is working at the moment and I don't want to do a factory reset anymore.

JonP

I refuse to install updates to Volumio. It is working at the moment and I don't want to do a factory reset anymore.
Just trying to be helpful. Moode is (I believe) so far from its roots, its it's own system/environment/thing. You could load it on another SD card, not disturb your current setup, and take a look. Sounds like it might help with your afore mentioned Volumio complaints, and a few more, like it dosent have a problematic Android app at all, you run it thru a decent web app on whatever you use. Up to you whatever you want to investigate, or not....

Last edited:
Top Bottom