• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Volumio Tidal Connect - anyone here currently using it?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi all

Anyone here currently using Tidal Connect via Volumio and RPi ?

I looked at release notes and read around the web - early on there were stability issues when sample rates changed etc. But there's been updates since the release.

How is it right now with current latest version?

Any how is gapless plackback (with gapless albums) ?

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Ok I just realised you can do a 15 day free trial

Got it up and running in 15 minutes

Gapless playback works

I expected the Tidal Desktop app to do just the 1st unfold for MQA shite - I thought that's part of the price for the annual Volumio plan required to have Tidal Connect support.

I don't want this thread to dishevel into pro's and con's of MQA but from all my reading so far, it is better to unfold than not (push noise in audible band to a bit higher).

Or at least I thought the Tidal app would do it, like it already does if you have a USB DAC connected to PC/Mac.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Gapless albums work well.

Seems like Volumio outputs only 44.1k and 48k but retains MQA signalling.

No unfold is done by the Tidal Desktop app via Tidal Connect - 1st unfold only done with USB connection to the Tidal app.

MQA aside - Tidal Connect is a little buggy. I have a queue of alternate 44.1k and 48k tracks to force sample rate changes.

It is buggy when I switch from 44.1k to 48k. So I shall be cancelling after this trial. I think a Bluesound Node with Tidal Connect will be more reliable and will do the unfold too.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
Just seen even the original Node (before Node 2) supports Tidal Connect.

Should be able to find one of the originals for really cheap on the used market.

norcalscott

Forum Donor
So you are not just talking to yourself here :)

I am using Volumio on a RPi4 into an SMSL DAC with Tidal Connect. Up until the latest Volumio release (3.233) Tidal Connect was very buggy on v3.0. This latest release completely fixed it for me and has persuaded me to keep my grandfathered Virtuoso subscription to Volumio.

I am very happy with sound quality and overall functionality in my system - may be my imagination but the SQ using the RPi and Volumio is superior to other configurations I have tried, even with high quality Windows boxes streaming to the same DAC.

Another great thing coming soon for Volumio is FusionDSP, currenty in beta

Top Bottom