• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Volumio Primo measurements

DK11706

Hi,

Has anyone seen a review of the Volumio Primo with some measurements, it looks like a very neat box and people seems to praise the sound quality, but I would like to have some science to back it up before buying.

I have asked Volumio for some more detailed specs but they will not share anything other than whats already published :rolleyes:

I'm mostly interested in the coax out, as it will be feeding my external DAC.

Br
Rasmus

Veri

Master Contributor
The fact that they don't show what dac chip is used seems rather odd, to me

zjSL6Pa.png

90x8Q2M DAC? Seriously?

Anyway if you're after a digital transport, it looks overpriced but there's little that can go wrong with an spdif/coax output...

Reactions: Tks

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm mostly interested in the coax out, as it will be feeding my external DAC

My experience with digital outs on other devices has been good, even those that might have sketchy analog outputs.

I don't know of any digital problems here - TV, HDRadio, CDplayer, PC, cable box, Roku, DEQ2496, miniDSP, usb sound interfaces, even a cheap USB to S/PDIF converter with weird analog performance.

dudodelmundo

Anyway if you're after a digital transport, it looks overpriced but ...

What would be better choice? Im asking because im also looking for a good usb streaming bridge. Might bei allo usbridge signature player be a better choice? sry im quite new to this topic. dac would be a topping dx7pro.

Veri

Master Contributor
What would be better choice? Im asking because im also looking for a good usb streaming bridge. Might bei allo usbridge signature player be a better choice? sry im quite new to this topic. dac would be a topping dx7pro.
I think an Rpi device like the Allo would be a damn good bet. pi2aes is another good one.

dudodelmundo

I think an Rpi device like the Allo would be a damn good bet. pi2aes is another good one.
Thanks for your reply mate. After searching the web for a while - all roads lead to roon rock i suppose. :)

CharlesC

You can run Volumio on the Allo DigiOne. The DigiOne with a $50 iFi power supply is a bargain. I believe the DigiOne is favorably reviewed on this site.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I watched a YouTube “review” of the Primo and was surprised to see it uses an Asus Tinker Board instead of a Raspberry Pi.

I have Volumio on a 2GB Raspberry Pi 4 feeding a Topping DX7s and I could not be happier.

Martin

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one. I've been trying out a few minimalist streamers. I don't use the DAC, it feeds my RME via USB. It works reasonably well as UPnP. The Volumio app is nice when you first fire it up, but it gradually loses functionality, particularly if you use it as an android app. I don't know if the IOS app is better, but it is very poorly designed in the Android app and works better (and identicallly) if you open the browser and access it that way. It will need a complete redesign because the Android code is just browser emulation. When using as UPnP, it takes an unusually long time to queue an album - I've not seen that with any other streamer.

One thing I haven't tried is attaching a touchscreen. I suspect the control point features would work better that way, but I could be wrong.

I feed a power amp from my DAC, so I simply won't attach a DAC without a hardware volume control.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Volumio running on Asus Tinker Board works just fine for me. Tinker Board has far better USB out then the Pi. You can also solder a SPFID out onto the Tinkerboard, and its headphone amp is OK, too. I run by TB/Volumio streamer into my DAC via USB. For a TB, case and MicroSD card, at a total of less than $90, how can one complain? The TB wireless pulls tunes off of my WD My Cloud via my Linksys home web system. Album photo, tracks, etc. all listed. No problems with latency. Big thumbs up! Primo is a good unit and got a Best Product award from EISA. I run off of my i-phone.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Volumio Primo review in upcoming Stereophile with measurements.

The USB output stopped working on mine. Anecdotal, but I have reliability concerns.

MacCali

Major Contributor
There website is extremely confusing, absolutely dont get what is going on. It says they are having a black friday special, and it's on sale for 449 euros. When I go to check out it says my total is 579.. and it's 10.79% off of 649.. where are they getting these numbers from, thin air?

The irony in all of this is the 1 usd = 1.13 euros.. so even at regular price of 500 euros, that's only $565.. cheaper than the sale price, it should currently cost 508 dollars at 449 euros

Top Bottom