• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Volumio premium users?

Fendooz

I've been using Volumio for a couple of years and have a number of RPI model 3's dotted around the house. Up to now I've used them for listening to web radio and Spotify connect as a free user. I recently invested in a Topping DX3pro DAC and wanted to try Tidal so I upgraded to the paid version.
In my experience it's just good enough in terms of reliability etc to justify paying for. I've been playing around with the multi room feature and the analogue input feature (I have a DAC with an analogue input which allows me to send an analogue source to other streamers in paid mode).

My experience of these features since upgrading has been very negative. I find that the grouping/multi room feature just causes crashes.

For eg, if I play an LP or a tape into streamer #1, t?with the analogue input selected, I can hear the sudio on the output of that DAC but when I group another streamer, nothing happens. Then when I try to remove a device, both devices crash and won't respond to the button press and I can't hear the audio on either.
Another example is tidal Tidal playing on the lead device but then when I've grouped another device, the audio is constantly stuttery on both devices.
Switching between sources on any device when just on one device, for eg between Spotify and Tidal causes cause freezes and long periods of unresponsiveness.

Generally, I'm just seeing a lot of black screens and loading screens and pressing buttons that won't respond and the whole experience has got a hell of a lot slower.

The basics, like just using Spotify/tidal connect work generally ok when I'm not trying to switch between sources or use multi room. It's still pretty slow and cumbersome though...

Am I being unreasonable in expecting a paid for product to just work?

I'm not sure if it's down to the hardware. To upgrade all my Rpi's to the latest models would be expensive. What are other people's experiences with this?
Ive had all the free features working fine on a Rpi model 2, so I'm not convinced it's hardware related.
I think probably just go back to the free version and do without Tidal for now. I want to do some side by side listening to see if I can hear the difference between tidal master quality and Spotify premium and cd's etc.

Just wondering what other peoples experiences have been when using these features.

mikelangeloz

Audio Company
Hi, sorry you've been disappointed. But I have a suggestion to help:

PI3 is perfectly fine in terms of CPU power to perform multiroom streaming, but it's let down by its wireless connectivity. Multiroom Streaming (especially on Master's side, aka the sending device) is quite a bandwidth intensive operation. So if you're networking is not on par, you will experience lag, stutters, and occasionally disconnects (the spinning wheel you see). PI3 wireless chip and especially their wireless antennas are not good for the scenario you intend to use them (actually, I discourage actively from using wireless with PI3). For more info see: https://community.volumio.org/t/10-tips-to-get-the-best-of-volumio-and-avoid-issues/54964

So I would recommend:
- If possible, use wired LAN, at least for the master device
- Tune the parameters of multiroom: go to sources, click on settings below multiroom and increase Buffer (All Clients) to 2000ms and stream buffer to 200ms. This will introduce some lag from when you start playback to when you will hear it, but the extra buffering should help avoid stutters in your configuration.
- Then, I always suggest investing in LAN power extenders, they are a very effective and cheap way to ensure optimal connectivity throughout big homes.
- Last, but not least, as Premium user you have available dedicated technical support by our customer care. Specifically, Davide is really expert in multiroom in complex scenarios (like yours) so I am sure if you contact us, he can help you analyze your current situation and help you fix it for good.

Hope I was helpful

DISCLAIMER: Michelangelo from Volumio here.

iLoveCats

I don't know if this is placebo or not but I was getting a lot of crashes and freezes and reboots recently on my PI3 with web radio. I'm using only a single device and its wired. I finally got fed up and wiped my SD card and did a fresh install of a new download of the latest version of volumio. Everything works great again.

OP
F

Fendooz

Very helpful, thanks.

I have beeb using WiFi just out of convenience but I have lan sockets in as lot of locations in my house which go back to the router so I can definitely get them on a wired connection.
This hadn't really occured to me so I'm greatfull for the tips.

mikelangeloz

Audio Company
I don't know if this is placebo or not but I was getting a lot of crashes and freezes and reboots recently on my PI3 with web radio. I'm using only a single device and its wired. I finally got fed up and wiped my SD card and did a fresh install of a new download of the latest version of volumio. Everything works great again.
That's probably not. Especially if you've installed many plugins on it. Plugins are the second most cause of instabilities (after network) as they are developed by third-parties and there are so many combinations of them that our QA is not able to test them extensively. So my suggestion is to install only strictly required plugins (and only from the official plugin store)

mikelangeloz

Audio Company
I have beeb using WiFi just out of convenience but I have lan sockets in as lot of locations in my house which go back to the router so I can definitely get them on a wired connection.
This hadn't really occured to me so I'm greatfull for the tips.
Glad I helped. Let us know how it goes, and I really recommend contacting our support in case, Davide will be able to sort things out for you given is involvement in the multiroom feature

Top Bottom