• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Volumio & BruteFIR related discussion

QMuse

Major Contributor
thank you very much Qmuse. I just installed it after downloading Putty. My deepest appreciation to the developer of this app!

On this page you may find usefull aditional info how to use the plugin.

shumi

Installed Brutefir, but now when the plugin is active I get no music. I have to disable the plug in and restart volumio to get back music. I have yet to get Volumio working with brutefir active. I think someone else had the same issue but I am not sure how they resolved it.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Installed Brutefir, but now when the plugin is active I get no music. I have to disable the plug in and restart volumio to get back music. I have yet to get Volumio working with brutefir active. I think someone else had the same issue but I am not sure how they resolved it.

Usually it's about DAC Output Format. Go to BruteFIR settings, activate Advanced Settings and try setting Output Format to "Factory_S32_LE". If that doesn't work try other values.

Warning: Do NOT try to change anything in Volumio Playback Options when BruteFIR plugin is active. That won't help but will crash the plugin so you will have to reinstall it.

shumi

thanks Qmuse, changed output format and it worked. happy camper.

shumi

Guys,
when making filters, which variant would you recommend for ultimate flexibility and accuracy? Perhaps variant 1?
variant.JPG

ezublab

Hello,
To start, an easy way is to use the variant3 , with good easy results, but less latitude to tweak it.
An other way is to create and export filter from REW as explain here : creating filters with REW
You can use other software (Acourate?) to generate filters too.
And of course, Rephase to do a very specific work, but more complicated.
For info, I get this with variant3 : DRC-FIR with volumio in few clicks...
In all case, the most difficult is to make a good measurement.

shumi

Which directory are these wav files found? I click pay and nothing happens.
wav.JPG

ezublab

It because the database is not updated... Go in Music library/ Internal and click the three dot and update folder. Then you should be able to play these files.

QMuse

Major Contributor
You can use other software (Acourate?) to generate filters too.

BruteFIR Volumio plugin recognises filters in WAV, PCM and TXT format. Filter format is recognised automatically. Both WAV and PCM filters generated with Acourate are supported.

shumi

It because the database is not updated... Go in Music library/ Internal and click the three dot and update folder. Then you should be able to play these files.
Got it. Thanks very much

Mashcky

Forum Donor
Is it possible to make a Volumio/BruteFIR setup with more than 8 output channels? If one wanted to create active crossovers for speakers and bass-management from the same device, you could quickly surpass 8 channels of audio... This may require a full x86 machine with a special sound card but I'm wondering if there is another way.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Is it possible to make a Volumio/BruteFIR setup with more than 8 output channels? If one wanted to create active crossovers for speakers and bass-management from the same device, you could quickly surpass 8 channels of audio... This may require a full x86 machine with a special sound card but I'm wondering if there is another way.
In theory you could do that - BruteFIR is capable of using >8 channels if you've got a suitable audio interface and enough processing power. You'd have to modify the plugin to be able to configure that many channels I think (I haven't looked at the code in a while) but it shouldn't be too hard as it essentially uses a template to create a config file with the values you put into the web interface.

shumi

I finally have the wav file generated in rephase. The next and final step is...
1594259821955.png

How do I find the shared folder 'brutefirfilters'? Please I need a step by step. Much appreciated.

ezublab

Browse your network with your computer, you should see your device with Volumio and its shared folder. Go in DSP/filters to paste your files.

shumi

I had to re-install Brutefir because it stopped working. The new version 0.4.9 has new features which I am not familiar with. Can someone help me out? I am exclusively using Rephase to convert my REW filter file into a wav file to be imported into Brutefir.
1- Which filter format and filter size should I choose in rephase for best results?
2-Number of partitions is a new feature. What is this? Is this the number of filters per channel?
3- What should I set the internal resolution to?
4- What about sample rate? Should this value match the rate from rephase? Is the higher rate, the better result?
5- Why include an input and output format? Should they be same? What should they be set to? Match Rephase file ouptut format?
Thanks again for all the work and the added features.

QMuse

Major Contributor
I had to re-install Brutefir because it stopped working. The new version 0.4.9 has new features which I am not familiar with. Can someone help me out? I am exclusively using Rephase to convert my REW filter file into a wav file to be imported into Brutefir.
1- Which filter format and filter size should I choose in rephase for best results?
2-Number of partitions is a new feature. What is this? Is this the number of filters per channel?
3- What should I set the internal resolution to?
4- What about sample rate? Should this value match the rate from rephase? Is the higher rate, the better result?
5- Why include an input and output format? Should they be same? What should they be set to? Match Rephase file ouptut format?
Thanks again for all the work and the added features.

You don't need to use rePhase to convert REW filters to wav as REW can export filters in wav format. Click File/Export/Export impulse response as WAV for your left and right filter.

Copy wav filter files to brutefir filter directory and select them by name within brutefir plugin. You don't need to confgure anything with Brutefir plugin as filter parameters will be recognised and set automatically when you select them.

shumi

Thanks very much QMuse...do you know what happened to the tools within brutefir? The sweeps? I can not find them. How do I validate the benefit of the filters if I can not generate sweeps from within Volumio?

Last edited:

shumi

You don't need to use rePhase to convert REW filters to wav as REW can export filters in wav format. Click File/Export/Export impulse response as WAV for your left and right filter.

Copy wav filter files to brutefir filter directory and select them by name within brutefir plugin. You don't need to confgure anything with Brutefir plugin as filter parameters will be recognised and set automatically when you select them.

QMuse, just to make sure becuase I already screwed one version of brutefir to the point that I had to re-install... ll I have to do is select the left and right filter and ignore anything else in this selection menu? Will the displayed values automaticall update based on format of the selection of the two filters? Does the input attenuation also automatically change? If so, why have them selectable?
Thanks and sorry for being a bit slow.
brytefir.JPG

QMuse

Major Contributor
QMuse, just to make sure becuase I already screwed one version of brutefir to the point that I had to re-install... ll I have to do is select the left and right filter and ignore anything else in this selection menu? Will the displayed values automaticall update based on format of the selection of the two filters? Does the input attenuation also automatically change? If so, why have them selectable?
Thanks and sorry for being a bit slow.
View attachment 76307

That is a very old version. You should upgrade to new version of the plugin as described here. Be sure to upgrade Volumio to ver 2.776 or higher before installing new version of the plugin.

And yes, with new version you will need to select only names of the left and right filter - everything else will be configured for you automatically.

Top Bottom