• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Volumio "audiophile music player" - discussion and problems

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Moved this from the D10 DAC thread into its own topic...

Following the simple and clear instructions at the Volumio website, I re-purposed the Lexar 8Gb SDHC card that I had been using to boot LibreELEC/Kodi for several months on my Intel NUC5CPYH box. Since Volumio is also a "stripped-down" custom distro of Linux like LibreELEC/Kodi, I had high hopes that it would work.

Unfortunately, it boots, but does not finish loading, although Linux Mint - the other OS on this dual boot system, still boots and runs fine from the internal SSD. (I posted a request for help at the Volumio website forum, but it appears to be a very low traffic forum.)

Volumio Boot Error.JPG

Edit to insert clear photo...

Last edited:
OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Weird! I got an email at 7:40am about a reply from Krunok regarding partitioning of the SDHC card - but it's not here in the thread! To answer Krunok's question, yes, I "quick" partitioned the 8Gb SDHC card to a single partition and it formatted to FAT32, then ran Win32DiskImager and used the Volumio x86 img file to create a bootable SDHC card, which failed with the above message.

Today I checked the SDHC for errors (none), re-downloaded the IMG zip from Volumio and extracted it, and used Rufus to create the bootable SDHC card - same exact boot failure and error messages.

Volumio re-partitions the SDHC card via the disk-imager utility, and I ended up with this structure:

Volumio SDHC Partitions.JPG

My Intel NUC uses a USB wireless keyboard, and is attached to my network via ethernet.

I reinstalled Kodi as an app on Linux Mint today, and everything works perfectly. I may try Daphile on the SD card since I cannot get Volumio to work.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't have any experience with it but the error message seems to indicate that the driver for the standard display or keyboard is not function ("tty").

Findfs error seems to be an issue with trying to mount non-existent filesystems.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Moved this from the D10 DAC thread into its own topic...

Following the simple and clear instructions at the Volumio website, I re-purposed the Lexar 8Gb SDHC card that I had been using to boot LibreELEC/Kodi for several months on my Intel NUC5CPYH box. Since Volumio is also a "stripped-down" custom distro of Linux like LibreELEC/Kodi, I had high hopes that it would work.

Unfortunately, it boots, but does not finish loading, although Linux Mint - the other OS on this dual boot system, still boots and runs fine from the internal SSD. (I posted a request for help at the Volumio website forum, but it appears to be a very low traffic forum.)

View attachment 14104
Edit to insert clear photo...

SD card looks good.
This is what you should try (if you can't type with your WiFi keyboard use one another one):

List the partition table of your system:
#fdisk -l

#vim /etc/fstab
Verify that each device entry specified in the file matches the correct file-system. Correct if needed and reboot.

If that didn't help for each device you should determine the UUID using this command (here it is shown for sda1):
#vol_id -u /dev/sda1
b056f084-eb83-4374-9635-0b5904ff520a

Check the results against the fstab and correct any mismatch.

Good luck!

P.S. check also this, same stuff: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=77325

Last edited:
OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Although I was a Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) for Windows 2000 doing desktop support, and a CNE (Certified Netware Engineer) doing corporate Novell Netware LAN administraion in the 1990's, I left the field in 2001. So now, in 2018, my skills are very old and rusty, and at age 76, my mind is no longer quick, but it still works pretty well. I am retired and have lots of time, so I will have fun muddling through the possibilities, and eventually solving my Intel NUC problems and sharing my solution on the internet. Like Amir - but on a much smaller budget - I not only love music, but I enjoy working with electronic/computer technology and taking on some of its challenges.

I figured out that this is not a Volumio problem, but rather a quirk in the Intel NUC architecture. I tried Daphile, and it suffered a similar "boot failure" fate using an SD card, but I got it to work late last night. I partitioned and formatted an 8Gb USB stick with GPT rather than MBR, and then used Rufus to put Daphile on it.

I read somewhere that one of the Volumio testers uses a NUC and considers it an excellent platform for Volumio. However, I don't know if he is booting from the SSD or an SD card. I will be keeping Linux Mint on the SSD. Because Kodi/LibreELEC - another Linux viariant - boots from an SD card, I should be able to get Volumio and/or Daphile to boot from SD as well. Having multiple A/V applications on multiple bootable SD cards sounds like fun to me. My main issue with LibreELEC/Kodi was that the headless remote Android app was primitive, ugly and limited in features, so I want to try other freeware digital audio player alternatives.

I will work on the SD card NUC boot issue when I return home this afternoon. - just another challenging problem for an aging techie. :cool:

Yesterday I found this info at the Intel website:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bootable SD Cards and Intel® NUC
Last Reviewed: 20-Apr-2018
Article ID: 000024603

Intel® NUC products don't have native settings in BIOS that allow you to boot directly from SD cards. We have no plans to add this capability.
However, if the SD card is formatted as a USB-like device, you can boot to it. To learn how to create a bootable SD card, see:
After you create the bootable SD card, check the following BIOS settings:
  1. Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Go to Advanced > Boot > Boot Priority.
  3. Disable UEFI Boot and enable Legacy Boot.
  4. Press F10 to save and exit BIOS.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
The error message on your screen (findfs: unable to resolve 'UUID=..?) is not related to the BIOS problem but to the fact that the filesystem could not be mounted.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Old thread but I have a a problem and believe it makes more sense to revive it, rather than opening a new thread.

Hi
I have been using Volumio for close to ayear with no issues. Main Music streaming source was Spotify. Decided to go to Apple Music for Classical,, Sending Airplay to Volumio seems to work. Volumio accepts the connection and if you go to its web interface will see he album playing, that is: Time remaining , album picturs, etc... SNosound comes out from the Topping d10B, I use.
I ahve gone through tthe usual routines: Increase the volume on my iPhone 13 Pro, Increase the volume on the streaming App/hardware and /or software, Increase the Volume to Max on the Volumio web interfeace... Still, no sound but Volumio appears to play and so does the App on the iPhone ....

Any insight?

Peace.

Top Bottom