• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Volume control of recent DACs

Daiyama

Hi folks,
I had this question in the SMSL SU-8 thread, but may be it is a more general topic.

I am wondering if the volume control of modern DACs like SMSL, Topping, Gustard etc. can be used without compromising the audio quality or should a DACs still be used at maxed volume and volume should be controled by a preamp / amp, which I think is the former mantra for using DACs.
But is this still justified?
Maybe somebody can explain, how the volume control is implemented in these DACs today?
Can this be measured? or maybe it is not neccessary, because it is obvious that it will effect audio quality or hopefully not (hopefully because it wold make a setup much easier.

Thank you!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi folks,
I had this question in the SMSL SU-8 thread, but may be it is a more general topic.

I am wondering if the volume control of modern DACs like SMSL, Topping, Gustard etc. can be used without compromising the audio quality or should a DACs still be used at maxed volume and volume should be controled by a preamp / amp, which I think is the former mantra for using DACs.
But is this still justified?
Maybe somebody can explain, how the volume control is implemented in these DACs today?
Can this be measured? or maybe it is not neccessary, because it is obvious that it will effect audio quality or hopefully not (hopefully because it wold make a setup much easier.

Thank you!
Use search. It's been discussed at length, many times.

OP
Daiyama

Daiyama

Ok thanks, will do that.

Edit: Yes, there is really a lot to find. Next time, first search, than post.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok thanks, will do that.
The short story is that if you are operating the DAC between 100 and 75 percent or so, it really shouldn't matter.

OP
Daiyama

Daiyama

The short story is that if you are operating the DAC between 100 and 75 percent or so, it really shouldn't matter.

Thanks, that is helpful, so the SMSL SU-8 has 37 as max volume, I will not go below 27 of 37, which would only be 10 steps. Maybe I switch to a topping DAC (D70s) with max volume of 99 and 0.5 increments so I would have 50 steps for this range. But quite a difference in price.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, that is helpful, so the SMSL SU-8 has 37 as max volume, I will not go below 27 of 37, which would only be 10 steps. Maybe I switch to a topping DAC (D70s) with max volume of 99 and 0.5 increments so I would have 50 steps for this range. But quite a difference in price.

The question isnt really how many steps but on what scale its on in terms of dB/volts output. But I would have thought if you could operate at happy listening levels in that range and it sounds good, swapping DACs might not help at all. Another option is keeping the DAC on full and adjusting in the player software/ PC you use. Or a combination of both. Many articles on that too

OP
Daiyama

Daiyama

Yep, I know the range of 75-100 is the same but 10 steps is a bit coarse. I am using UAPP as source player, I think there is volume control also possible.
And I have a volume control in my amp so the 25% range is only to adujst around my usual listening volume and not from zero to full scale.
I think you are right it is not worth to invest that much in a new DAC.

Top Bottom