• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VMV D2R and VMV P2

RangerAudio

FwdYUruaQAAQSKb

From SMSL's twitter. Looks like their competition to the D70/a70 pro stack from topping. Kind of retro look to it.

LearningToSmile

Wonder what the pricing on the CD player is going to be. Are MQA CDs even a thing? I had no idea.
Also, love the design of the DAC/AMP combo.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Wonder what the pricing on the CD player is going to be. Are MQA CDs even a thing? I had no idea.
Also, love the design of the DAC/AMP combo.
in Japan.. usually limited runs of older stuff that gets rereleased occasionally and usually sells out in a short time.

But MQA CDs are only 16 bit...so minus the bits used for MQA you are actually getting something that's worse than tidals 24bit MQA files.

But there are releases like - Yamamoto tsuyoshi misty for direct cutting.
recorded in DSD and released on CD, MQA CD, vinyl and as DSD download.

And lots of classical music gets MQA CD releases and at the same time Blu-ray audio releases.

And there are versions with green coating.. similar to the platinum SMH-CDs and SACDs that are still released.

And let's not forget Sonys blu-spec 1 CDs that they release to other labels and blu-spec 2 CDs.

====

Kinda like the design of those new SMSL device's. But they should have done more to the whole case to make it look more retro and " valuable "

I'm still waiting for a Chinese made DAC/headphone amp that looks like something made by luxman, McIntosh or Yamaha.

======
SMSL's first MQA CD player, "PL200", uses the AK4499EX chip and features 2 clock sources with low phase noise and high accuracy. It is a new Hi-End CD solution.

And the SMSL D300 gets a matching headphone amp. The H300

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
It would be a first time for smsl
Nope;

JSmith

Snoopy

Major Contributor
It seems to be a DAC with a ROHM BD34301EKV chip.

Single or dual? Single would be boring. Got already the SMSL D300.

The noratel should be the same toroidal transformer used in the D1SE2.

I'm curious.

geekosa

Nope;

JSmith
I hope it was a R2R since it's called D2R ^^

notsodeadlizard

Yeah I know but it is still crazy.
Not so crazy as it seems.
I designed and implemented 2 sets of these composite-parallel buffers (those 98+1...128+1...256+1 op amps are about power buffer only), SMD of course (it's really crazy to assembly such a device by a hand soldering), and here is what I think about: it's really a very good (or even true) way for a mass production.
Because you'll have very stable and repeatable parameters in results and nearly 0% of expensive hand assembly.
This is almost ideal for power buffers with a relatively small output voltage range (or power).
I'm sure that the Chinese have their very cheap copies of pretty good (but far from the best) op amps, and that's more than enough.
Only one additional really very good op amp is enough to make it "sing".

Another thing is that there is one trick here.
In a good way, this amplifier should be two-blocks, the output buffer and the input voltage amplifier can and should be separated according to any logic so that the consumer can choose a voltage amplifier (what if someone wants a tube one, why not?).
That's how it looks very nice, yes.
But it is better to do this for yourself by yourself.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
More info here:

ps. I like the look of VMV D2R and VMV P2. But it seems like amplifier has just a pot volume control... so no remote... pity

Snoopy

Major Contributor
More info here:

ps. I like the look of VMV D2R and VMV P2. But it seems like amplifier has just a pot volume control... so no remote... pity

The D2R seems to be just a fancy version of the D300 with a couple of audiophile parts in there and a newer xmos chip.

All to archive the same Sinad?

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The D2R seems to be just a fancy version of the D300 with a couple of audiophile parts in there and a newer xmos chip.

All to archive the same Sinad?
...sometimes you buy stuff because it's nice/cool, not because of sinad.
What's wrong with paying more for fancier unit?
Sometimes I really don't get people here.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
...sometimes you buy stuff because it's nice/cool, not because of sinad.
What's wrong with paying more for fancier unit?
Sometimes I really don't get people here.

I'm fine with that if someone wants it for that reason, but they could at least have done a dual Rohm DAC. :)

Top Bottom