• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

VLC 4.0

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I get the impression there aren't a lot of VLC users on ASR. But for those that are fans, some good news about the upcoming 4.0 release of VLC:

Some highlights from the article:
  • new UI
  • support for the AV1 and AV2 codecs
  • VLC on the Web, using Webassembly and JavaScript
  • VideoLAN is exploring a Plex-like business model, with ad-supported free video streams available in the player

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I use VLC pretty often. I hope they don't cripple it with the new business model. Also that they don't over think the UI. THe simplicity of it was something I liked.

threni

Major Contributor
I used it for a while, even paying for a few Android VLC remote apps (they were dreadful too), but in the end it was hopeless. Gapless just looks like it's never coming, and the web interface is dreadful (the graphic EQ has to be seen to be believed!). Every Linux distro I've ever used ships with something better in their repos.

Top Bottom